LegacyGT.com

Rear ended - don't want to drain battery

I was stopped in traffic because an ambulance was coming the other direction. The person behind me rear ended me, later stating that he was watching the ambulance. Probably hit me 30 mph or so in my rear passenger side. He was driving a single cab 2012 Chevy Silverado. Just messed up his bumper and head light on his driver side, and his washer fluid peed out.

My trunk is bulged up in that area. Bumper is messed up. I cannot open the gas door without prying it out (don't want to try). Can't close the trunk.

As I was TWO BLOCKS AWAY FROM HOME when this happened, after the police did their thing, I drove home and emptied my trunk. Was a little difficult to open. My issue now is it won't close. I unplugged the light in the trunk since that stayed on. However on the dash, it still shows my trunk is open. I tried it with the car locked and unlocked. Will that kill my battery? If so, how do I temporarily disable it?

Any way to get the trunk to latch?

Will my brakes or tires get messed up because I held the brake hard as to not slide into the stopped car in front of me. I was only able to turn my wheels away from the car in front of me when I saw the person behind me might not make it.

I plan on contacting his insurance company since he's 100% at fault and running it through them. That will be lenghty probably. What can I do to wrap that bulge in my trunk so animals or the elements can't get in? I have another vehicle I can drive in the meantime, albeit RWD.

ihatehumanity.thumb.jpg.141ac95bc682d829d8bc878be682a289.jpg

Just disconnect the battery. You need a 10mm box end wrench, disconnect the negative (black) side and make sure it doesn't make contact with any metal. Duct tape the gap if you're that worried about rodents, etc.

Sorry to see this happen. I assume everyone was okay?

If I'm interpreting the vacation pics correctly, there's a switch of some kind inside the latch mechanism. The hard way to do things would be to unplug the harness from the latch and connect pin 3 to ground (or jump 2 and 3), but disconnecting the battery is probably the best plan. Not sure where the switch or relay is for the latch actuator, but the "lid closed" switch wire goes to the BIU on one side and chassis ground on the other, so there's not a whole lot of other choices of where you can go with it.

I'm OK but I'm sure I'll be sore in the morning.

By the bumper, the female part, where the latch from the trunk goes (male part), hits a button in the female part that I pressed with my finger, then used a screw driver on the male part of the trunk to make it go beep. Wouldn't go beep if I didn't hit the part inside the female part with my finger. It felt very spring loaded like I couldn't wedge something in there to keep it down. I'm guessing that might solve it?

It's probably an LED, so it could probably go for several days before the battery dies. The trunk light however, if you haven't changed it out to an LED, is a 5W halogen which will easily kill the battery in a day.

Just start the car every day and you should be good as long as the trunk light isn't on.

It's probably an LED, so it could probably go for several days before the battery dies. The trunk light however, if you haven't changed it out to an LED, is a 5W halogen which will easily kill the battery in a day.

Just start the car every day and you should be good as long as the trunk light isn't on.

I already unhooked the trunk light.

Your OK that's the most important. Don't worry about the battery if it dies you should get it replaced since it was damaged in the accident. Remember if you've touched the battery and/or terminals they usually have acid residue that will eat whatever you touch next.

I wouldn't worry about it. That car is totaled and will belong to the insurance company very soon.

You really think it's totalled? Based on what?

Acumen has a point, its very possible. It looks worse than my car which was rear-ended back in November of 2012 when my car was 6 months old. All the same panels: rear quarter, trunk box, trunk floor, rear panel, bumper cover and tail light...and that cost $9900 to fix. You have more damage with the trunk also, my trunk was fine. I cant tell from the pic if the bumper beam took a hit or not, mine didnt. Im gonna guess its a $12000 repair bill. The value of your car currently is a lot less than mine was 3 years ago.

I don't mean to sound all dooms day, just trying to be real. Good luck with everything, I am very sad to see this happen.

In the event it's totaled out, what is a fair price that the insurance company SHOULD give me? Pretty much an amount that would be fair (including tax, etc.)?

I have 73k miles on it. I've owned it for 4 years 6 days.

Maybe $16k including tax?

I already filed a claim with the idiot who hit me's insurance company. They told me it's pretty cut and dry that they'll have to pay 100%, but that they have to investigate it, etc. They told me bring it to any collision shop this weekend and give them the claim number so they can pay it. They also told me to get a rental and pay it myself but they'd reimburse me. The last time that happened (I was rear ended in 2011 in a Suzuki that got totaled) I never got the reimbursement for the rental. Not sure I trust them, but this is a different insurance company this time.

Look up the Kelly Blue Book or NADA value of the car, it will be based on mileage, year, model and equipment, that is the "fair" price they should give you for the car. Usually it is considered "totalled" if the repair cost is 60-70% of that value.

Archived