LegacyGT.com

Brand new VF40 making squealing noise?

Please bear with me as I try my best to explain the situation. I'm not terribly familiar with turboed Subarus especially LGTs.

Found an 05 LGT wagon 5MT I'm really interested in. The guy put in a brand new turbo because he blew the old one. When he pulled out the old VF40 he said the banjo bolt was really gunky, one of the oil lines was milky and the other wasn't. He put in a brand new VF40 and now there is some squealing noise that is coming from the turbo. He's thinking it's got a bad bearing inside because there is no shaft play and it is most definitely not an exhaust leak. Also when he started the car there was oil pouring out from underneath. Is this a simple fix or should I just stay away?

Pouring out oil would be an immediate turn off for me unless the price was ridiculously low. Are you saying there was oil pouring out from the turbo or from just the overall engine bay?

I believe he said it was coming from the oil return line? Wasn't from the engine bay itself. The price is set at a pretty low price right in my budget which is why I'm interested. No metal shavings from the oil either.

The car is here in CT, the guy bought it from someone in Boston, turbo blew on the way home, replaced it, went through all this crap to try to get it running and now he's just looking to let it go. Everything was from his words since he's back home in North Carolina it's really hard to gauge anything other than from word of mouth.

Where in CT is it ?

How deep are you pockets? These can become a money pit quickly. Do who have a spare $6000 hanging around ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's possible he didn't use the correct oil lines/fittings and the turbo is getting wayyy to much oil. Either way, if it blew while he was driving, there is a really good chance the motor was damaged in the process. It may take awhile to show up.

Archived