LegacyGT.com

Acura and Lexus overstate horsepower ratings.

According to Forbes Acura and Lexus have been forced to restate horsepower ratings by the SAE. The Acura TL is now only rated at 258 hp, down from 270 hp. Which explains why we have all been successful at overtaking them even though they had 20 more hp than we did. Turns out it was only 8 hp more than the LGT and alot less torque. I would imagine there will ba alot of pissed off TL owners out there when they find out.

Lexus had to lower claims for the LS 430 down to 283 hp from 290 hp, and the RX 330 to 223 hp from 230 hp. Makes one wonder how much they have overstated the new IS 350.

According to Forbes Acura and Lexus have been forced to restate horsepower ratings by the SAE. The Acura TL is now only rated at 258 hp, down from 270 hp. Which explains why we have all been successful at overtaking them even though they had 20 more hp than we did. Turns out it was only 8 hp more than the LGT and alot less torque. I would imagine there will ba alot of pissed off TL owners out there when they find out.

Lexus had to lower claims for the LS 430 down to 283 hp from 290 hp, and the RX 330 to 223 hp from 230 hp. Makes one wonder how much they have overstated the new IS 350.

I wondered why the TL was only rated for 258 hp for 2006. I noticed that on Acura's website and couldn't figure out why they would lower the output for a new model year with the same engine. :confused:

Very interesting...

I wondered why the TL was only rated for 258 hp for 2006. I noticed that on Acura's website and couldn't figure out why they would lower the output for a new model year with the same engine. :confused:

Very interesting...

I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the SAE hp ratings were changed a bit recently in how they were determined. Some cars, using the new SAE hp determination rules, ended up with less HP than with the previous method, even though they used the same engine, etc...

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

That is correct, the SAE had left somethings like fuel grade open to interpretation, and had vague guidelines in regards to some belt driven engine components etc. They closed all the loopholes, and now have one set way to measure power output. US makers have been using it anyway and their numbers have changed little or gone up, also we have not seen any German makers on the list yet. I expect to see BMW have to revise some figures, to account for how their cars seem to be a better performing than the hp number suggest. However any maker using a more strict measurement before the changes took place has nothing to worry about, just the companies that were fudging their numbers.

It's not that they weren't correct when the numbers were first published. The SAE standards have changed so now the calculation for HP is different. Look at it like inflation. Besides, when our car goes from 0-60 in 6.23 seconds, who cares how much horsepower it has? The times and weight are all that matter. You can calculate HP just based on that. Here is the equation to do it. A 3200 lb car with a 165 lb driver with a trap speed of 97.5 mph (AUTOWEEK numbers) would equate to 243 HP.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

They didn't "overstate" the power rating, they've just adapted the

NEW SAE standard for those cars.

More than likely our LGT's power rating will drop too with the new standard.

Unless of course, it's underrated currently like some think.

Oh and the IS350 already is rated with the new SAE standard.

By the old system the car would be 315-320 hp.

Again, RELAX everybody, it's just a RATING, the cars aren't getting LESS

power, just new rating numbers.

It's all relative.

Overstate or miscalculate, either way some manufacturers have not had to revise any of their figures because they were using a more strict guideline to come up with a more accurate account of engine output. I have not seen Subaru have to restate any power outputs because apparently Subaru was using a more accurate guideline to measure output. Like having everything that would be on the car and driven by the engine hooked up, and using fuel that real human being can actually find and put in their tank.

What Acura/Honda did was fiddle with the fuel used, and the belt driven accesories on the motor to make it achieve 270hp on a test bed, knowing full well that the motor would not make that power under real world conditions. I would call that lying in order to sell more product, especially in light of the fact that many makers were not pushing the rules of SAE measurements to the limits, but instead were doing their best to give accurate ratings for their motors in a production vehicle. So while some of these cars do not actually make less power, they just never really made it in the first place even though other brands did and still do.

What Acura/Honda did was fiddle with the fuel used, and the belt driven accesories on the motor to make it achieve 270hp on a test bed, knowing full well that the motor would not make that power under real world conditions.

This reminds me a little of the old "gross" horsepower rating system. Back before 1973 (I think that was the year they switched), everything on the road was a 300+hp "beast" that ran 15's-16's in the 1/4 :lol:

I wonder if that means the old TL/CL Type S had less than the 260HP they were rated for. It's the same basic motor with 'improvements' to net 10hp more for the new version.

Archived