LegacyGT.com

2009 Legacy GT engine swap question

Hello all! A little back story to my nightmare. I recently bought a 2009 legacy gt with 70k miles. In August a drunk driver smashed into the driver side (while parked in front of my house) causing 8k in repairs via my insurance company. After about a month, I get it back and its beautiful. Looks brand new and it is driving great. Another month goes by with no problems until suddenly, without warning, my stock vf46 goes up. I decided to go with the VF52 and a bulletproof avcs oil feed line, and get a nice protune. I get the new turbo on, prime it, and start up the engine. I noticed a slight knock. Kind of a ticking sound and I immediately think rod knock. The sound doesnt really kick in until I revved up to 3k rpm and its atrocious. Before I go into an engine rebuild I am planning on checking the timing belt tensioner. I've been told by numerous Subaru mechanics/owners that it could be just that. As I've been planning for the worst, I've been searching for a complete engine to drop in. I haven't been able to find one specifically for my model year or for a lgt at that. I had a fellow member in the club im in offer me a turnkey 2014 ej255 from a wrx. Has anyone done this? Is that a viable option? Im looking for confirmation that I could make that work before I throw down a couple grand on an engine. If anyone has insight on that application it would be truly welcomed. If that's a no go I will be looking at the short lock route which I'd love to avoid due to the cost. Thanks in advance all.

You will get much better response if you format your post. Right now it's a wall of text which I didn't read all of.

GT engine swaps - this question comes up a lot on LGT.com, mostly we are against it.

1. How do you know the engine will work?

2. What maintenance was done on this engine prior to the swap? What's going to keep it from exploding just like your engine did?

3. used engines are EXPENSIVE

4. You just spent all that money on a used engine and it also exploded, should have spent the money to do it right the first time.

See my click here link for a ej257 that just bolts in. Have your heads rebuilt and buy the engine gasket set for your year car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

New assembled shortblock + your existing (inspected working and cleaned) top end and accessories + New Oil pump and cooler = cost effective solution to your issue.

First things first get a solid diagnosis of whats exactly wrong. Second WRX donors engines arent optimal as most WRX donors are the result of poor ownership or driving ablilities.

Archived