LegacyGT.com

Stock Exhaust Piping / Resonator Diameter

Hey all, my '05 LGT stock resonator has recently rusted through at the inlet pipe and needs to be replaced. Rather than replace that whole center section with the OEM piece (Part #44201AG01A - $300ish) I'm going to have a resonator welded in.

However, I haven't been able to find a definite answer on the size of the exhaust piping for the resonator section (from behind the cat to the y_

What size inlet/outlet do I need? I'm thinking of the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1141-Ultra-Quiet-Resonator/dp/B000E3VHWI]Vibrant Ultra Quiet 1141[/ame] with a 2.5" inlet, but I need confirmation that this size is correct.

Secondary question - is it worth it to get the Vibrant, or should I just go with an off the shelf muffler shop resonator? I'm trying to keep the sound as close to OEM as possible.

Thanks in advance

Lgtexhaust.jpg.ef0cc167db9d36a6e2931482e7428df5.jpg

I think its a 2" exhaust.

Do you have stock mufflers ?

If yes, then just have the exhaust shop weld in what they have. The Vibrant helps quiet down loud mufflers.

From what I have learned.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think its a 2" exhaust.

Do you have stock mufflers ?

If yes, then just have the exhaust shop weld in what they have. The Vibrant helps quiet down loud mufflers.

From what I have learned.

Thanks for your reply. I've read a few different sizes, including 2.5 into the resonator and 2.25 down to the Y. Hoping to get a definitive answer in this thread.

Exhaust including mufflers is totally stock.

That's good input – I would be happy to go with something cheaper if there won't be much difference on an otherwise stock exhaust system.

I had a vibrant resonator installed in place of the factory on my 09 3.0r a few months ago and I bought a 2.25in, my exhaust shop installed it in about 20min.

Great, thank you. Any noticeable change from stock?

I'm not sure how it would be with stock mufflers. I have a 4in nameless axleback and the vibrant is a 12in bottle style. I can say it did do a really nice job at getting rid of rasp and drones no louder than it did with the stock resonator.

I'm not sure how it would be with stock mufflers. I have a 4in nameless axleback and the vibrant is a 12in bottle style. I can say it did do a really nice job at getting rid of rasp and drones no louder than it did with the stock resonator.

Ah yeah, makes sense - thanks

For anyone who sees this thread in the future, I found the following info in an old thread:

I measured mine, and it is a consistent 62mm or 2.44 inches, and at the y pipe 48mm or 1.89 inches on each leg. All my measurements are of course outside diameter.

Archived