LegacyGT.com

Metal chirping noise. What is it?

Driving along just fine to pick up parts at Summit Racing and then a sudden loss of power into limp mode. Check engine light and cruise light blinking. Surprisingly, no codes! Coming down from reving there's a distinct metal chiping noise from the passenger side of the engine bay. I'm not sure what it could be.

06 Legacy GT Limited on a stock tune with 102,900 miles on the clock.

I've done a ton of suspension mods, but no engine ones other than a GrimmSpeed TMIC. Service schedule is strict and always done early.

Well...let's see....

Chirping distinct metal noise on passenger side of engine bay when REVVING the engine

Sudden loss of power

Check engine light on and cruise blinking but no codes

Stock tune with 103K

MY guess.....is TURBO IS POPPED!!! Banjo filters still in it? Sounds like it starved for oil and hoofed it's way out.

Don't drive it.

Exactly my initial thoughts. I limped it home and it's staying in the garage until I flatbed tow it to the shop. Which I was headed to anyways next Wednesday for a bunch of scheduled service and a new radiator install.

Banjo filters are still in it. The turbo one was replaced 7 months ago. AVCS was supposed to be replaced with the timing belt, but the dealer said not to worry.

Tris, if I'm part of the club, does that mean I get a shirt?

Should I get a decatted up pipe while I'm there? Now I'm looking into what else to expect and replace.

Thanks for the quick replies.

91 Leggy is in DD condition? If so, take your time getting the 06 back on the road the right way. Limping it home is what I did, that was my downfall. Oil and coolant mixed and shot down the downpipe. I say the car was drove for like 30 mins rush hour traffic to avoid tow and to get a rental. I was in the process of being AWOL so common sense was out the window.

Hey there guys. I'm already compiling a list of what to do while my car is in the shop for this.

Hopefully limping it home didn't do too much damage, but if there's metal in the oil then I'm already thinking of replacing the bearings just to reduce another issue. I'd much rather not have rod knock going over the Sierras as much as I plan in 2016. A catless up pipe is under consideration. The blown turbo thread was a great read and really helped my understanding.

Here's hoping that whatever is found is minimal so I can get back on the road soon.

Merc6, nope. The 91 is my first car and I blew the engine. I just didn't have the heart to get rid of it. Plus being young and stupid.

Tris, I'll take a large.

If you want to try to keep the motor, pull the banjo bolts off and clean the filters (if the filters are still there), then flush the motor 2 times making sure any or all metal scraps have been flushed out. Then go back and clean the banjo bolts.

Flushing the motor

Pull banjo bolts off and clean.

Pour in some cheap light weight motor oil and run for 10 mins.

Pull oil pan off and clean pan

Repeat...pour in some light weight motor oil and run another 10 mins.

Change oil filter and pour in the recommended oil (Rotella T6).

Cross fingers.

My wife's balls are delicious.

If you want to try to keep the motor, pull the banjo bolts off and clean the filters (if the filters are still there), then flush the motor 2 times making sure any or all metal scraps have been flushed out. Then go back and clean the banjo bolts.

Flushing the motor

Pull banjo bolts off and clean.

Pour in some cheap light weight motor oil and run for 10 mins.

Pull oil pan off and clean pan

Repeat...pour in some light weight motor oil and run another 10 mins.

Change oil filter and pour in the recommended oil (Rotella T6).

Cross fingers.

Yeah Shoptech full syn about 5 times even fram filters as well. I made it a few months before the hard knock life came around. OCV's too. To this day I wonder if the oil cooler was the overlooked item or if it was still destiny for it to blow no matter what I did.

^^ yes very true. No matter how many times you flush, it only takes a few metal fragments to blow the motor. So, taking off all the oil components and cleaning them will only give you a higher chance of saving the motor. But there is still a chance that some metal fragments are left in the motor. It's a Russian roulette.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived