LegacyGT.com

Gasket question for a 1999 Brighton w/ EJ22

Broke my timing belt and need to swap my heads and replace the timing belt kit w/water pump. My buddy says I have a second generation EJ22. I'm having a tough time finding a gasket kit for the 1999 for under $350. I keep finding kits for a 2.5l for cheap.

Manufacturer date is 12/98, title says 1999. Can I use the gasket kit for a 1998 EJ22?

I am planning on pulling the engine to do the head swap so I'll be doing the clutch as well.

You don't want to cheap out on gaskets. Get good quality gaskets so it is done and won't needed to be done again for awhile. Since your car was a late produced 98 it was grand fathered into 1999, same things with my 97, it was grandfathered in from 96 to 97. A lot of the parts I find that are the right ones are the 96 year ones so shoot for the 98 kit. Look up 5 star gaskets, they are a bit pricey but like I said you will only need to do it once for awhile

i would just order the head gaskets from an online dealer.

you get the subaru gasket,

you pay wholesale,

and you don't waste money on a bunch of gaskets you don't need.

most head gasket kits are actually ''rebuild'' kits with tons of stuff you will not need.

you need

head gaskets

intake and exhaust gaskets

and water pump gasket

other stuff you may consider,

cam and crank seals

oil pump o-ring

valve cover gaskets

i used felpro intake and exhaust gaskets from the local parts store.

but i would price them from an online dealer.

and i would order everything all at once.

good luck.

The 99 2.2 uses the same HG as a 98. They changed the intakes, which match with the 2.5 sohc. plus some other changes

The 2.2 gasket is composite fiber and does not have issues. Get oem or Fel pro. Make sure its for the 2.2.

The inner 2 head bolts may be different than the outer 4. If so they are are color coded. Be sure to put them back properly.

RockAuto has the Fel Pro kit for $171. Look up a coupon which will save you 5%.

O.

Order the specific head gasket from the dealer off your vin. This model year is extremely tricky. The weird models also has oddball valve seals (or dealer gave me wrong ones), a unique timing belt length and no egr. It is in between phase 2 and the 3rd gen. motors. My gasket was mls and the dealer replacement was mls.

Regardless of the condition of the heads I'd plane them and have the valves gone through. I got most of the parts and seals from the dealer and had my heads reworked by the dealers machine shop they use for about $1000 YMMV... The machine shop the dealer uses had never seen one of these come in... Ever.

Archived