LegacyGT.com

Steady-state Steering/Cornering Issue

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did the PS fluid and o-rings over the weekend while trying to address another issue. Steering wheel action feels smoother, but didn't get a chance to try to replicate the issue. FWIW, didn't notice any leaking around the steering rack or the PS pump.

I having your same issue JF1. I just got this car (06 XT) this Tuesday and on the drive back from San Diego to Idaho the twisty roads exposed this problem. How I describe my feeling- I'm in a gentle corner say 50 or 60mph, and it tightens to the point I have to adjust the wheel to about 45 degrees, and that's when the steering gets odd and light. I can add more steering, to maybe 50-55 degrees and the normal weight comes back. I can 'play' with the steering in this zone and this is where the odd disconnected feeling rears it's head. Not confidence inspiring.

It's definitely not understeer, or any sort or traction issue. You're right about that. I thought maybe the alignment had an issue like a bad torn bushing or bent parts.

I like KND's fix. It makes sense to me now. My PS pump is leaking and gross, so I'll likely replace it soon. I'll report back when I do.

Definitely power steering related, in my case. I would start with flushing the PS fluid (Dexron III ATF) and seeing if your leak is coming from the o-rings listed above.

I haven't had the chance to try and replicate the issue, but the steering feels better and smoother after the fluid flush. The old PS fluid had this acrid, burnt smell so it was definitely overdue for a change.

Good luck tracking it down, it was a frustrating process for me and made me hate driving the car hard.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived