LegacyGT.com

turbo shaft play?

good evening gentle men,

my question is to you how much turbo shaft play is tolerable. I got the infamous P0011 pulled the downpipe to check the turbo and it had very very little shaft play. I know none is optimal but I'm just curious what is a safe amount. I wont be driving the car till I figure out whats causing the code. Tuesday I'll be pulling the banjo bolt filter in the turbo oil feed and checking the OCV's. My other question is how long does the banjo bolt filter usually take? I normally wouldn't care but I didnt have any of my tools sent to alaska with me and I pay a hourly fee to use the auto hobby shop.

TIA Nowzor

I will be inspecting/replacing my banjo bolt today and will update you when I'm done, from what I have read it takes most members between 45 min to an hour. There are some great discussions on here that offer all the details as well as what tools are needed and some helpful tricks to aligning the copper washers on the bolt as well (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61689&highlight=17mm+stubby)

As far as the tolerance for shaft plat on your vf40 (I'm guessing you have a stock turbo) I'm not sure the answer but I'm interested to find out. I'm sure if you search the forum this has been covered at some point. I've been spending hours reading all the info on here, just bought an 06 LGT and I'm trying to learn everything I can.

The banjo filter is pretty straightforward if you have mechanical experience and tools available. There is a walkthrough on here that gives a detailed path to follow and you'll be able to get it out in about an hour or less.

As for the turbo play, there are many times that you can check the turbo for play and all is fine and you can still have a blown turbo. As everyone already knows,

I do a lot of rebuilding/reconditioning/upgrading for the LGT community (and NASIOC and some of the Outback forums too) and I have received quite a few core turbos that have minimal shaft play but are blown because of poor maintenance and it's caused the piston ring oil seals to bind up and allow oil to pass directly through. When this happens, the journal bearings are still receiving the oil as they should so they don't wear, but the oil passes through one or both ends and you end up with the proverbial cloud and the turbo is blown.

This is when you see your exhaust side wet or your TMIC/TB hose with the oil dripping out of it or in a pool in the bottom of the TB hose. The turbo spools fine, boosts fine, makes no noise, has virtually no shaft play, and is blown.

One thing to remember is there really needs to be a tiny bit of play in these pieces of equipment. The oil comes into the turbo via the feed line and then follows short paths to the journal bearings and then coats the bearings both inside and outside. There has to be room around the entire circumference for the oil to "fit" in so it can have a tiny bit of movement and still be fine. The MHI turbos (Td04, Td05) generally have a bit more side play, even when new, than the IHI due to the differences in the design, but this is normal.

My rule of thumb is that you can feel it but not see it when you are looking. If both ends of your turbo are dry and you are not consuming mass quantities of oil, then chances are your turbo is still OK. If your TMIC has no more than a light film of oil, and your downpipe is dry inside, your turbo is most likely still OK.

Hope this helps.

JmP ? -- thank my son just bought an 05 and the turbo went right away - it was smoking a little, but from the drivers side - near the Exhaust manifold... Anyway do you know of a good exploded engine view that helps identify the elements you are discussing. The car is 200 miles away at rebulid so I do not have any thing to inspect.

Is seems the turbo bearings will always loose a little oil, is that the reason for the relativity high oil consumption?

Tuesday I'll be pulling the banjo bolt filter in the turbo oil feed and checking the OCV's. My other question is how long does the banjo bolt filter usually take? I normally wouldn't care but I didnt have any of my tools sent to alaska with me and I pay a hourly fee to use the auto hobby shop.

Just finished replacing the banjo bolt, the filter was spotless on mine with 79,000 miles but I replaced with a new one anyway. The whole process from start to finish took about 90 minutes, definitely make sure you have a stubby 17mm wrench or you will never get that bolt out!

Service manual, http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Remove the filter from the banjo fitting. My wagon has both filters removed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

thanks for the great feed back guys. one other question if its the avcs or the ocv's that are causing my p0011 is it bad to drive on that till I get it fixed?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/code-p0011-ever-something-other-then-turboi-88470.html

I got these just short of the turbo failure. Can't access nasioc from work but they said from what I remember

oil change,

replace ocv(s)

rebuild engine.

Archived