LegacyGT.com

Cabin air filter WTF??

So apparently I have a cabin air filter in my car? Hmmm... Took my glove box apart and found the tray. Opened it. No filter.

Put a filter in, fits fine, put it all back together.

So did Subaru forget mine? or are there cars that have the filter box but no filter? Or did someone remove it because it was plugged but was too cheap to replace it...? :confused:

2 things.

Most of 05 don't have them from factory

The interior has been redesigned since our 05's so you don't have to tear half the car apart to get behind there anymore. it's in the last 8 pages or so of the what have you done to your legacy thread.

I seem to recall m sprank telling us that years ago. Some came without the filter installed.

But are you saying you have the retro fit kit installed but there's no filter ?

You did say you just removed the glove box to check it.

In my Spec B I just stuck a piece of furnace filter in there. That blue and white foam looking stuff. I installed that back in 2011 about April time. Have never checked it again.

I have never checked my 2005, I bought it new late June 04, I assume it doesn't have one. I don't really care. I've made it 61 years with out one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I seem to recall m sprank telling us that years ago. Some came without the filter installed.

But are you saying you have the retro fit kit installed but there's no filter ?

You did say you just removed the glove box to check it.

In my Spec B I just stuck a piece of furnace filter in there. That blue and white foam looking stuff. I installed that back in 2011 about April time. Have never checked it again.

I have never checked my 2005, I bought it new late June 04, I assume it doesn't have one. I don't really care. I've made it 61 years with out one.

I opened the glove box and pulled the little "owner manual box" out of the top. This allowed me to see in to where the filter lives and I could see the panel with the 4 tabs that holds the filter in. Can't swap it through this access, but could at least confirm I have a place for the filter to go.

I ordered a filter and installed it. Had to remove the glove box and surround, took about 30 mins. I was then able to remove the little plastic drawer that the filter lives in. The filter dropped into place and I put the drawer back in and put it all back together again.

My 05 doesn't have one either. I took out my glove box to discover that, and in the process of putting it back together I forgot to put the left support back in, so now it falls a bit as I shut the door.

Gives me an excuse to fix something I guess. :lol:

I wonder how much Subaru charged for the filter as a factory option...? If the only difference is a filter element that would cost them a couple bucks per car, then did they charge $100 for the "Cabin air filter option"?

Yup, everything is there like in an 06 for example, minus the filter.

If you don't have one, just go to home depot or lowes and get a 3m hepa filter and cut it to fit.

I've seen the DIY filter from a furnace filter for $12.

I also saw that Amazon has proper filters for $12 too, so I went with proper filters for my car and my wife's '01 OB LLB. Hers has a yellow sticker in the doorjamb that states it has the cabin air filter - it'll be interesting to see if hers is in place...

I feel lucky to have a tray. IIRC a same year Toyota Camry had same size when I went ordering the cheapest one well under $12. I forgot what absurd price the dealer here wanted for it. It sounded like the price included install but they said nope it was parts only.

Mine had the tray with no filter and I put one in. It was a B to get to it, and there's a steel brace that prevents the tray from coming out. I got mine in by putting it in the tray with the folds so that the filter could sort of bend its way in, then used a screwdriver from underneath to pull it in. It was a pain and took several attempts.

You can see the filter in my thread at the bottom of this page: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-outback-xt-rebuild-chronicles-233261.html?highlight=chronicles

I also tried to swap out the CAF in my wife's 01 OBLLB. They said; "You don't have to tear half of your dash apart.

Yep, only 45%. :mad:

And then I found out the filter I got was wrong. That's going back. I cleaned the old one with shop air and it's fine to go back in.

• 2 years later...

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/05-lgt-ltd-cabin-filter-retrofit-51340.html

If you want a better fitting and better looking solution to the air filtration difficulty for your early 2005 (and 2006-2007 with the silly cloth cover) you can update all models to the new 2008 style. The 2008 style has an all new molded rear glove box section and a molded plastic door that covers the filter tray area that is held in place with 5 pop-its. Much cleaner looking and more solidly put together. It still takes about 10 minutes to change the filter but is a huge improvement over the 2005 non-design and the '06-'07 hacked-cloth design.

I installed all the '08 parts in my early '05 today, took about 40 minutes total (I was taking my time). Didn't get any pic's because I wasn't sure it would work, but since it did I will also be ordering the same parts for my wife Legacy and will photo document the install at that time.

2008 Parts needed:

Glove box back panel - 66208AG07A

Air filtration access cover - 66241AG29A

5 Clip's (pop-its) - 909140037

Pocket cushion - 66153GA000

2 Tapping Scews - 904500025

and of course a replacement cabin filter - G3210AG000

Total cost (including the filter) was about $100, about the same price as the "Retro" kit from Subaru.

Back in June 2007, when the above info was posted, the OE cabin filter alone cost the ridiculous amount of $35. In addition to the parts listed above, I bought 2 nuts #902510011.

Older cars never had filters but its really annoying when a leaf or something gets in and makes a noise when you put the fan on.

Mine was a JDM import and someone had put an aftermarket filter in that also had an active charcoal layer in it. It was very nice but simply couldn't buy them here. Fitted a new Subaru filter, it was very plain and also very expensive. They stop one hell of a lot of crap going through your system, I suggest fitting one or at least some of the filtration material you can find in vacuum cleaners these days.

Archived