LegacyGT.com

Wilwood brake kit - issues

Well, this is turning into the brake kit install from hell. There are a couple minor issues, those we can cover later if we can solve the major issue. I got the calipers installed, finally bled, no air in the lines (though I could try the rears again) but I have almost no brake pedal pressure. The car will come to a stop, but the pedal is on the floor and its not locking up the wheels.

This is a 4 piston kit, supposed to work with the stock master on a WRX. Are those bigger than ours? Do I need a prop valve to balance the f/r pressure? I may be taking the kit off and trying to resell it at this point, I'm out of ideas for the Subaru. Definitely not as easy to solve as the Vette...

Help...

I've never heard that, always heard start furthest from the hydraulics.:spin:

And how did that work for you? Lol. Not all systems are plumbed the same. I believe you also need to cycle the ABS pump to clear any air that may have entered it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

And how did that work for you? Lol. Not all systems are plumbed the same. I believe you also need to cycle the ABS pump to clear any air that may have entered it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

On every car I've ever owned up to this one? Perfectly. Why would I have any reason to believe that this one car is different from the other 31 cars I've owned and bled brakes on? None, I'd say. And shut up, yes, I have a condition.:p

On every car I've ever owned up to this one? Perfectly. Why would I have any reason to believe that this one car is different from the other 31 cars I've owned and bled brakes on? None, I'd say. And shut up, yes, I have a condition.:p

I read through various threads asserting the same, but a quick search for subaru brake bleeding yielded the other method. If tried and true method isn't working maybe it's time to try something else. :spin:

How many times did you bleed them? There have been several people on this forum that did it right the first time and still had a floored pedal. The second time they did the entire bleed sequence it worked as it should and had a proper pedal.

I did, but last night realized my mistake. I bled the rears until the fluid was cleared out, then I bled the fronts. I had no pedal pressure, and assumed it was the newly installed empty calipers, so I rebled the fronts, but assumed the rears were OK. Turns out I did not take into account Subaru's crossed brake system. The air from the replaced hard line was drawn into the rear left line at some point. I bled the rear enough to get clear fluid, but the air hadn't reached the bleeder, or was stuck in the ABS block. Bleeding the fronts after that did not move it out that way, either.

So last night I did a tedious semi-gravity bleed, which is marginally effective on those front calipers, but still works great on the rears. After a while I had almost a whole brake line length of air cone out the rear left. Definitely enough to make a squishy pedal. Was too late to start the car up and see how the pedal felt last night, but this evening I'll report back.

Yes, the proper way to bleed the brake lines is....

Rear L

Rear R

Front L

Front R

You always want to start from the furthest from the cylinder, then work your way to the closest to the cylinder.

Always make sure that the cylinder is always full when bleeding to prevent air being sucked in. Check and refill after each corner of bleeding. If you continue to get air in the lines, then you have a leak some where in the system, or haven't tighten down the line to the calipers tight enough.

My wife's balls are delicious.