LegacyGT.com

Factory gauges that fit in the cubby.. new for 06

Chris112

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sent an email to SubaruPartforYou.com last night and here is the response I received:

Hello

yes we are going to list it. we just recieved the 2006 listings for legacy and outback (finally)

I already have this item in stock. I opened the box and is a kit and the components are three guages....for turbo, oil pressure & oil temp. I had waited to list it because I prefer to get the actual description etc from subaru before I list items but here it is.

the kit comes with instructions etc..

heres the new link to that item

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=4061

thanx

Item cost is $649 (reasonable in comparison). Ground shipping is ~$15.

I have a few more questions about the kit but I am going to reply to that email and see what they say. If I find out anything, I will pass it along here.

The link now works.

Here is my further correspondence after asking the following 4 questions.

Does the gauge pack come with all of the needed hardware for install (such as sending units, hose, wires and adapters)? What is illumination like on the gauges? Does it match the Legacy GT LED dash backlighting? One more.... Do the gauges sweep to match the GT's gauge sweep?

it is a kit with all the hardware.beyond that I am unfamiliar with the unit in terms of illumination etc...

this is the first one we've gotten and I haven't seen it installed. thanx

With that said, can anyone confirm gauge sweep, illumination and color match on illumination? Thanks

Its already been posted elsewhere that it all matches. These are Defi gauges just like the ones in the instrument cluster.

EDIT: I wonder if I could pull off getting these at cost still. When my gf bought a WRX back in April the dealer said she could have any parts/accessories she wanted for cost + 10%. I usually get 20% anyway at the local dealer but cost + 10% is far more ..... enticing shall we say?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
To all concerned, besides the pressure and boost gauges not using PSI, the temp. gauge reads in Celsius! Just had these installed in my new LGT and didn't know this prior to ordering them. Is this my dealer getting Intn'l parts or a Subaru miscue? Thanks. Can't believe that in the US market this is how the gauges would be marked.

somewhere...I saved a .PDF of the installation instructions from Subaru. It LOOKED rather straight forward. Unfortunately, all my tools are still at Sears and when I asked the local dealer if they would install they kinda declined unless the guages had ' a harness for the power' . huh???

Oh well,, I'll likely wind up with cassopolis' cubby bod and something else.

somewhere...I saved a .PDF of the installation instructions from Subaru. It LOOKED rather straight forward. Unfortunately, all my tools are still at Sears and when I asked the local dealer if they would install they kinda declined unless the guages had ' a harness for the power' . huh???

Oh well,, I'll likely wind up with cassopolis' cubby bod and something else.

If you want to get it done at the dealer, all of the wiring harnesses (including power) are included and simply plug & play. I got quoted around $150 for installation though, and it definitely didn't seem worth it.

So, I bought these and installed them myself. They instructions and installation are fairly straighforward if you've got the right tools. In particular, you will need a 27mm *long socket* to tighten the oil filter sandwich adapter. I didn't have one, and had a little trouble finding one at the autoparts store. Also, make sure to have on hand a decent tool (not a coat hanger :icon_wink) to snake the wires through the firewall -- it will save you much frustration!

My only other suggestion would be to save yourself some time and skip removing the intercooler. It didn't seem necessary.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with the near perfect OEM integration. The metric readings were slightly annoying at first, but I quickly got used to it.

Try PM'ing jj808 as he just installed a set of these about two weeks ago. Saw the installation at last week's meet. Very clean and includes everything you need to make this a factory-like install.

Boost "Ts" off of the BPV line

Oil Pressure is a device that sandwiches (mounts) between the bottom of the oil cooler and the top of the oil filter

Oil temperature comes off of a sensor below the intercooler and on the back top of the engine block if I recall correctly.

His advice - remove the intercooler to gain access to the grommet location which is on the firewall below the IC. Also, need to disassemble the center stack (obviously), take out the under steering wheel and left driver's side kick panel and run the lines and wires. Should take about 2-4 hours if you're familiar with these areas.

Anyway - I'll PM him and let him know that others are interested in this install. Perhaps he'll post up his experiences.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

His advice - remove the intercooler to gain access to the grommet location which is on the firewall below the IC. Also, need to disassemble the center stack (obviously), take out the under steering wheel and left driver's side kick panel and run the lines and wires. Should take about 2-4 hours if you're familiar with these areas.

I skipped removing the intercooler and those interior panels. Using a steel fish tape I was able to thread the wires directly through the grommet into the driver's foot well. Then, from the driver's footwell through the opened center console area. Reaching the grommet probably would have been easier without the intercooler, but I figured it would be more of a pain to remove / reinstall it. YMMV.

I highly recommend purchasing a fish tape (go to homedepot.com and search "steel fish tape") for running the wires. They're around $30 - $40, but are invaluable time savers for jobs like this.

Yup, 2-4 hours sounds about right if you dont fart around like we did. The install was VERY plug and play. What Subietonic said is basically how it was except that BOTH the oil pressure and oil temp come off of the sandwich adapter. The kit came with all of the harness and lines you need for the install. We used a few more zip ties than recommended when running the lines but that was so it would look factory and ensure no loose wires or lines. I do recommend that you take your time in considering where the lines and hose need to go. The instructions tell where Subaru would run it but we found better routes for the oil temp and pressure sending lines. Be prepared to bend over backwards(OUCH) to work under the dash if you are bigger than 5'11" and 200lbs. Small hands and 2 people is almost a requirement when running the lines thru the firewall grommet and thru the dash. You could do it alone but i wouldnt recommend it.

NO, there is no peak value or stuff like that with these gauges. I didn't want or need those options but i did want 100% OEM fitment and match perfectly with the dash which these gauges do.

Yea, they are a bit pricey but you get what you pay for IMHO.

Edit: This was an install on an 2005.

If anyone has any questions and i didnt cover it PM me and post it here. Ill answer it asap.

Get the fish tape! It would have saved us ALOT of time and effort if we had something like that. As for the IC it was a breeze to take off and reinstall. Not even close to the PITA that the WRX IC is.

Go thru the firewall grommet. The kit even comes with monkey shit (well, thats what we call it in the navy) to seal up the hole you make in the grommet.

Get the fish tape! It would have saved us ALOT of time and effort if we had something like that.

Haha, yeah I learned this the hard way too! Apparently the line in the instructions about using an "appropriate fishing tool" doesn't refer to "a bent coat hanger" :lol:

After about 3 hours struggling, by myself, just trying to get the wires through the firewall, I finally broke down and went to Home Depot. Picked up the fish tape, brought it home, and had all three wires through the firewall and into the console in about 15 minutes. Live and learn! :rolleyes:

Thanks J for clearing up my dis-remembered part of the install. Something told me that the thermo and pressure sensors would be in that sandwich unit... not sure why I thought the thermo came off an engine block sensor.

Sounds like popping the IC, pulling the center stack and fishing everything with the tape is the way to go. Will keep this in mind.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 4 weeks later...

Archived