LegacyGT.com

iON Springs (from GB #2) on my wagon...

evil_O

All installed... thanks to.. well.... you know who you are :D

The shots below were taken immediately after install (sorry but she is durty). The only thing I did was drive around the block for about 5 minutes. So, of course, they are still going to settle a bit.

For those that are interested, here is what she looks like now:

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/evil_O/springs1.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/evil_O/springs2.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/evil_O/springs3.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/evil_O/springs4.jpg

Here is the 'ol standard before the install (weeks before) shot:

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/evil_O/061805_4.jpg

As you can also see... my tails, reverse lights, backup light, fronts, and blinkers on the mirrors have all been tinted. I am not overly happy on how the tails turned out - more to user error than product. Sometime in the future I am going to redo 'em. I might even take off the blue on the mirrors and go smoked. All things considered though, she looks different than stock - and I like how she is shaping up. :)

I think I am done for now. Once winter is over I will be getting me some new shoes.... I already have my sights set on something.

Very nice! I really like the LGT wagon, its the uber sleeper, but my wife wouldn't have anything to do with one! "I'm not driving any &*$$^#&! station wagon - it might as well be a @#%^& minivan!" LOL

+1 on the lack of nasty noises... just better performance!

Thanks all!

mudfoot - you are not going to be disappointed with these at all. They are a bit more stiff than stock, but not uncomfortable at all...

The ride is great. Not really sure how to describe it other than "real good - much better than stock." I have not had ANY ground clearance issues to date. I have a steep driveway so IMHO that is saying something. Also, I took an onramp the other day that has a substantial expansion joint - always made my F150 skip - well... the subie stuck and stuck hard at 80mph! Absoloutely lovely.:D

The only thing that would make this better - imho - are Koni adjustables. I am keeping my eye out for those. Don't get me wrong the dampening is fine with these springs, I would just like a bit more. For the price (and perf), these are the shiznit:)

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this back, but thought it would be better than starting a new thread.

I'm thinking of these springs on my 5mt wagon but am concerned about ride height. After spending the last five years with a lowered car and having to pull into every gas station/driveway at an angle I really don't want to duplicate that with the LGT.

Has it settled any more?

Any issues with the ride height?

Still happy with the quality of the ride?

Thanks

John

John,

2 Spyders? Cool!

I installed my iONs a while ago, and I have to agree with evil_o and everyone else who has posted about these: just a subtle drop, no problems with clearance at all. Drop is about an inch all around, no more, and it hasn't settled much since the install. The ride is great, it just firms up the Legacy's "floaty" feel. Even on nasty roads, it's pretty comfy. In corners, the progressive rate comes into play, limiting roll and feeling more planted. There is still plenty of shock travel.

The only bad thing I can say is that I wasn't impressed with the finish coating on the springs. They were rattling around in the shipping box, and the paint (powdercoat?) chipped. I touched it up, we'll see how many years they last.

See my install post here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19989

Not a detailed how-to, but general tools needed and impressions.

-Paul

Paul:

Thanks for your response, just what I wanted to hear!! :icon_bigg

PS - For some reason Japanese convertibles are spYders and Italian ones are spIders. I'm completely obsessed with my Alfas, thinking about LGT mods is my way of fighting off the depression that comes this time of year when I have to put them away for the next 3 or 4 months.

Even though a stock Miata is faster, handles better and is WAY more reliable, there's a certain something about my Italian beasts that I just love. It helps that you don't see one on every street corner.

John,

2 Spyders? Cool!

I installed my iONs a while ago, and I have to agree with evil_o and everyone else who has posted about these: just a subtle drop, no problems with clearance at all. Drop is about an inch all around, no more, and it hasn't settled much since the install. The ride is great, it just firms up the Legacy's "floaty" feel. Even on nasty roads, it's pretty comfy. In corners, the progressive rate comes into play, limiting roll and feeling more planted. There is still plenty of shock travel.

The only bad thing I can say is that I wasn't impressed with the finish coating on the springs. They were rattling around in the shipping box, and the paint (powdercoat?) chipped. I touched it up, we'll see how many years they last.

See my install post here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19989

Not a detailed how-to, but general tools needed and impressions.

-Paul

not to worry about the chipping....here's what I got from Jack at iON:

hi Brian, great to hear you got 'em. In regards to the spots where it's missing coating; you won't have to worry about actual "rust" deteriorating the spring. The springs themselves are annodized first before being powdercoated. If you have any corrosion it would only be surface corrosion; it would take ~100yrs to eat away at the high chromium steel. If you're concerend about possible rusting you can use some clearcoat in a spray can and lightly coat the springs or just spray the spots which are bare.

Best Regards,

Jack

That's good to know about the spring's coating. Sounds like they should last a good long time.

John-I understand your obsession with interesting/unique, but less reliable/nimble cars! I have an affection for VW's. Unfortunately, VW has done a good job of dissuading me from it. Loved my 85 GTI, loved my 97 GTI VR6 when it wasn't in the shop, and my wife's 99 Jetta GLX annoys me. Time for another Japanese car!

-Paul

i will say this, after about 5 months on my car, a couple of autocrosses, a 1000 miles highway trip, and daily driving in stop and go rush hour traffic --

the ride is rougher than stock (obviously) - doesnt bother on the short around town trips - however it was much more wearing on the long highway trips than I was expecting. They seem harsher now than when first installed.

ride height - It seems to have settled and lowered more in the rear than the front Doesnt bother me at all, but occosionally the car does have a squatted appearance.

performance is great, during any spirited driving I can feel the difference.

in all, I'm glad I got them - I'm a young guy and the improved performance and look vastly out weighs the diminished ride quality.

i will say this, after about 5 months on my car, a couple of autocrosses, a 1000 miles highway trip, and daily driving in stop and go rush hour traffic --

the ride is rougher than stock (obviously) - doesnt bother on the short around town trips - however it was much more wearing on the long highway trips than I was expecting. They seem harsher now than when first installed.

ride height - It seems to have settled and lowered more in the rear than the front Doesnt bother me at all, but occosionally the car does have a squatted appearance.

performance is great, during any spirited driving I can feel the difference.

in all, I'm glad I got them - I'm a young guy and the improved performance and look vastly out weighs the diminished ride quality.

lets be fair...diminished ride quality by about 5-10%. meaing a little rougher over bumps. But a big plus in the "ride quality" when it comes to the twisties. unfortunatly we can't have it all, but i think the iON's are the best of both worlds.

I've thought about putting these springs on my wagon at some point, but i've been concerned about the ride. I carry 2 kids in the car and don't want to make it uncomfortable for them.

doesn't sound like this will be an issue from what you guys are saying, but I'd hate to put the things on and hate the ride later.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I've thought about putting these springs on my wagon at some point, but i've been concerned about the ride. I carry 2 kids in the car and don't want to make it uncomfortable for them.

doesn't sound like this will be an issue from what you guys are saying, but I'd hate to put the things on and hate the ride later.

I'm a Marylander too. If i get up to Hagerstown, where my folks live, I can take you for a quick spin (altough I have the sedan) Honestly the "rougher" ride is not that noticable. Only on really big bumps. With the tight ride, almost no nose dive when breaking, less squat when accelerating, great look and noticably less body roll the little more jolt on big bumps is a small price to pay IMO.

lets be fair...diminished ride quality by about 5-10%. meaing a little rougher over bumps. But a big plus in the "ride quality" when it comes to the twisties. unfortunatly we can't have it all' date=' but i think the iON's are the best of both worlds.[/quote']

while I agree, as far as performance springs go - the iON's are not as rough as others ( i believe that to be due to the progressive nature of them)

, but i'd say that 5-10% is being extremely generous.

i agree, they are the best of both worlds - and like i said, if I could do it over again I would still pick them over any other spring.

while I agree, as far as performance springs go - the iON's are not as rough as others ( i believe that to be due to the progressive nature of them)

, but i'd say that 5-10% is being extremely generous.

i agree, they are the best of both worlds - and like i said, if I could do it over again I would still pick them over any other spring.

wow, you think they are more then 10% rougher than stock. not to me, but it could be due to the roads i drive. yours maybe in worse condition.

I've had them installed for about 2mths, and at first, they did seem a bit harsh! But after about a week, they seemed to have broken in. Now the only time they feel stiff is when going over sharp edge bumps, or ones that need more than the initial 1-2" of travel. In the ION's defense, my aunt just picked up an '06 LGT, so I could compare directly, and on bigger bumps the stock suspension is quite jolting too!

Now for the benefits: These springs are a very noticeable addition! I had a 20mm RSB, and these just added the icing on the cake! Wow, the car just takes turns like they are straight! Under braking there is NO nosedive! Squatting under acceleration is minimal!

My commute consists of 90 miles, mostly highway, and from a few trips, I can report that I can tell no difference in ride quality degradation from stock! OTOH, the car feels buttoned down at all times! I have 2 young boys, and the ride has never upset or bothered them! Heck, the wife didn't even notice! Now that's saying something!

Also, I would like to point out, that I have considerably more power & braking, than a stock/stg1 car, so any weakness in the suspension is magnified, but these springs are doing there job admirably!

One of the best $400 bucks spent on the car! These as they say, are a "Gotta Have!"

Archived