LegacyGT.com

Almost Timing Belt time but what other fluids?

I just purchased a beautiful and gently use 05 Legacy Wagon in Atlantic Pearl Blue. My 17 yo son doesn't really understand how well this car was kept and driven, just amazingly lucky, were we to find this car. A mere 97K miles in 10 years in hyper mile crazy California. :lol:

The maintenance schedule was followed, but on the Subaru maintenance schedule I read online, it never says to replace the differential fluid or ATF. (?) Just "I" for inspect.

I plan on getting the timing belt done here soon and have the Coolant replaced with that service. What about the ATF, and diff fluids, should I do those as well? Or simply have them inspected to see if they are still clean, they are 10 years old!

Thanks for all advice to those that have taken these cars up to 200K and beyond.

Read the sticky's here and use the correct fluids in the Diff's. Motul300 seems to be the best choice currently.

I don't have EAT's so I don't ....

Have a local Subaru shop do the work, stay away from the stealership with this old car.

Where in CA do you live ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I change every fluid in every Subaru I by with in a month. I just do not trust the word of a seller or dealer. I changed every fluid in my 08 legacy and 06 outback to Amsoil Synthetic fluids. I cannot tell you how great they run and shift transmission wise. My diff have Amsoil fluid also. My legacy has 150K with Full new gates timing kit (including pullies on the side of the motor done by me), It also have new MLS head gaskets I did. My out back has all the same. I would do all the diff changes, oil changes, and trans changes with your son to teach him. get a T70 torx from amazon and hit up harbor freight and you will be set. It not hard with youtube, this site and the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all, I will do all the fluids. It's cheap insurance.

@Max Capacity:

I live in the Gold Country foothills of Northern California. And in fact will take the Legacy today into the snow (maybe if the Northwest storm drops in enough) here on US Highway 50, to slide down the mountain.

This Legacy was bought in Silicon Valley but has lived half its life up this way as well, but with low foothill folks who don't do the hi country above 3000 feet. That's gonna change.

I have to give a shot out to Toy Tech up here in Placerville CA, they advert Subaru, Toyota Honda. If you live near me you may want to try them.

I have 4 day's on snow so far this crappy season here in the east. I did get 10,000ft of vert but 9AM today.

Enjoy the snow.

I keep a small pocket notebook with everything I do on the cars. it's a good record.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived