LegacyGT.com

My book of questions...

Smithcraft

Hello!

I think my first question is about the longevity of the turbo. Having read numerous ads in the Cars For Sale section, I stumbled across one ad that mentioned that the turbo had been replaced and all the bits that are related to turbo failure were also replaced. Another ad has a comment, not from the seller, about the number of miles on the car and that it still has it's original turbo. Is there something faulty about the way the turbo is set up/plumbed that leads to them failing? Or was that just some sales PR to get me to be more interested in that persons car?

The second question is about the rear view mirror. I have had an auto dimming mirror in a car and I absolutely hated that thing. Since every dealership seems to love installing those blasted things, if they aren't included in car from the get go, how hard is it to remove and replace with a regular rear view mirror with a good old day/night flip?

Thanks!

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

1: If you're buying used, the condition of the turbo is a total crap shoot. I have taken 3 turbo Subies to 130K+ miles with no turbo issues whatsoever, but I'm not 19 and trying to recreate F&F X on every stoplight. If you're buying the car from a young 'un, chances are it's been ridden hard and not cared for. The design is sound. The driver is the problem.

2. Any one of a dozen Subie online parts sellers will gladly sell you the basic old-style flip rear-view. Just bought a new '16 Forester XT and told them to yank the gizmo mirror and give me a real one. They did. It's a 30-second job.

Hello!

I think my first question is about the longevity of the turbo. Having read numerous ads in the Cars For Sale section, I stumbled across one ad that mentioned that the turbo had been replaced and all the bits that are related to turbo failure were also replaced. Another ad has a comment, not from the seller, about the number of miles on the car and that it still has it's original turbo. Is there something faulty about the way the turbo is set up/plumbed that leads to them failing? Or was that just some sales PR to get me to be more interested in that persons car? Yes the turbo oil supply line has banjo bolts with filters, which may clog, some owners remove them or replace them. If the turbo has gone out or been replaced, that could be a sign that the engine has bits of the old one in it. Be cautious of this, most of the times if the turbo fails it will require a new shortblock and everything else involved.

The second question is about the rear view mirror. I have had an auto dimming mirror in a car and I absolutely hated that thing. Since every dealership seems to love installing those blasted things, if they aren't included in car from the get go, how hard is it to remove and replace with a regular rear view mirror with a good old day/night flip?

Thanks!

SC

1: If you're buying used, the condition of the turbo is a total crap shoot. I have taken 3 turbo Subies to 130K+ miles with no turbo issues whatsoever, but I'm not 19 and trying to recreate F&F X on every stoplight. If you're buying the car from a young 'un, chances are it's been ridden hard and not cared for. The design is sound. The driver is the problem.

2. Any one of a dozen Subie online parts sellers will gladly sell you the basic old-style flip rear-view. Just bought a new '16 Forester XT and told them to yank the gizmo mirror and give me a real one. They did. It's a 30-second job.

Thanks for that information about the mirror! I'm also not looking to relive F&F, but once my right foot discovers boost, I'm sure it's going to get very heavy. At least until I have to fill it up a couple times...

Yes the turbo oil supply line has banjo bolts with filters, which may clog, some owners remove them or replace them. If the turbo has gone out or been replaced, that could be a sign that the engine has bits of the old one in it. Be cautious of this, most of the times if the turbo fails it will require a new shortblock and everything else involved.

Thanks! If/when I find one, would getting the banjo bolts replaced/removed be something that could be done quickly/inexpensively? Would it require a shop, or could I do it easily with a few tools?

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

It would be helpful to know what model turbo Subaru you are looking at. 2005-2009 GT's had an issue not seen on other Subaru's because the turbo used was such that turbo bearing failure as a result of a clogged filter screen sent metal into the engine. 2010+ GT's have very little to no turbo issues at all, because no screen.

I'm looking for 2007 to 2009 Legacy GT(Manual Transmission) or a Spec.B from the same time frame.

SC

ps - I should also mention that I'm a bit on the tall side, so I have big hands.

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

In that case, talk to the seller about the turbo banjo bolt screen and see how they react. They will either know, not know, or start acting uncomfortable. Question everything regarding turbo replacement, engine rebuilds and service history. Go by your gut with regard to the trust you have for whether or not you are being told the truth or they are trying to bull the wool over your eyes. Check the CarFax.

Quote: Thanks! If/when I find one, would getting the banjo bolts replaced/removed be something that could be done quickly/inexpensively? Would it require a shop, or could I do it easily with a few tools?

There is at least 1 walkthrough on this site, use google to search site:legacygt.com banjo bolt. If you are mechanically inclined you might be able to do it, but a few hours worth of work. The replacement Bolt, Screen/Filter, and Copper Crush Washers aren't that much but it is a bit of a challenge to get to them. The one for the Turbo is on the back of the Block on the passenger side, there is also one for the Driver Side AVCS system but it requires removal of the TIMING COVER.

Many suggest pulling the Downpipe and inspecting the Turbo Shaft for Play, this will tell you if the turbo is in good shape or ready to let loose.

The forum is littered with 4th Gen 2.5GT rebuilds. Some are from turbo failures, some are bad tunes, but there are quite a few that seem to fail unknowingly. I have been seeing a few 5th rebuilds gen trickle in as well. My observation is that it seem like 125K+ miles, it is a crap shoot. If you can't stomach a rebuild or replacement motor then these cars probably aren't for you. One good thing is that new short blocks aren't that expensive especially if you are mechanic inclined.

Fortunately, I am mechanically inclined.

I'm also considering what to do the engine in my Legacy for in a few months it's either all those expensive bits on the front again, or maybe a rebuilt motor from across the state would be better, and not much more than what I she'll need for the front stuff.

So I'm not scared of replacement motors, I'm more interested in who did the motor.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Archived