LegacyGT.com

Got a brochure and I'm a bit disappointed...

If you don't want a wagon and can spend $40k, I think the 330iX AWD sedan is a superior choice. If you want an AWD Sport Wagon, for any amount of money, the Leg GT is the best game in town today, IMO. If you are sedan person and are looking at G30s, Hondas, you have different values/needs than a Subaru buyer. All good cars depending on your need/wants. Bashing Subaru for not offering all creature features in first year release seems out of perspective to me. BMW and other companies release new cars that do not have best cosmetics or options in first year and add them over time. Suby did offer TONS of new style and performance in the new LegGT and I am sure we will see the car guilded with each model year. From a competitive marketing point of view, it is not enough to say we made great progress over "our" last car, you must challenge the competition in some way that makes your product stand out. Suby price / performance and wagon option are the unique factors that sets Suby above competition. Suby still has a way to go to match Honda/Acura/BMW/Audi in the creature feature catagories, but they came close enough in this first release to get this BMW customer to switch to a Leg GT wagon. Performance, great looking wagon, close on comfort features, okay, I wil compromise some creature feature for performance wagon.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='SchnellerGT']Agree that the Legacy lacks options for the price. So, either they need to introduce these options or drop the price to $25K (MSRP) for a GT LTD. It's a shame you can configure a Mazda3S with more options for $10K less.[/QUOTE] Yes, but it's WWD, and you still have to put a motor in it. :lol: Seriously, though, Subaru was all about making the GT a driver's car value first. The Limited might seem overpriced, but in context of the GT, it's about right. As I always say, find another $30K car that can run with it. There will be $30K cars that have more creature comforts, for sure. But if that's your bag, Subaru isn't on your shopping list anyhow. Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
Well... last time I checked to get an audi of equal performance to the legacy GT you would have to buy an S4, and one with all the options people here want for 30k would be 52k or so. So I think I would give up some small lighting and HIDs to save 22k. I think the 0-60 of the audi is around 5.5 seconds??? isn't that about the same for the legacy?

• 5 weeks later...
Personally, I paid around 25k for a manual trans with cloth interior and I have no regrets. I didn't care for the sport shift auto that much or the leather so I saved around $2500 right away. Sunroof ? No thanks... My salesman said the nav was due to come out in 2006 so we'll see. Onstar would be nice. I don't like headlights personally. (Blinding people and being blinded by others is crazy.) My point is, for 25k it's hard to find a sporty AWD with some luxury to it. In a car I Like. Audi S8 would be my choice for 80k - so many nice expensive cars. - wish it coulda had... - heads up display , infra-red night illumination , seperate set of dedicated winter tires and wheels , Onstar , Lo-jack , armor plating and a million dollars in the trunk. all for under 30k.

All I can say is the GT is really in a class of its own because it's hard to find an equivalent nice looking car with the performance, handling and the features, all at about the same price. Subaru done a great job, finally. Not perfect but what car is? Furthermore, if we were living in Japan, the apparent lack of options would not be an issue. This would definitely make it the best car ever given the price. It's no wonder it won the car of the year award there. Those with money to burn of course wouldn't care and buy their Mercs, BMWs, Audis, etc., but all you get really is snob value - and that actually is high on their list of priorities.

• 1 month later...
who cares about the headlights or nav? where are u gonna find a better car out there for under 30K? yeah, an acura or audi for the same price may have the extra amenities, but aren't legacy drivers more interested in kicking ass in the quarter mile? by the way, anyone interested in buying my 03 dodge srt-4? under 28,00 miles, excellent condition, black w/chrome rims. $16000 obo.

[quote name='Tin_pusher']I must disagree. When you start pushing $30k plus for a car, people expect certain "trinkets." If you want all out performance then peopl should buy the WRX. The loaded Legacy IMO is being marketed as an alternative to Lexus, Acura or Audi. And as such certain luxuries will be expected. Most people that buy performance cars care more about the day to day civility of the car, and not all out performance.[/QUOTE] Who paid $30,000? I paid $26,000 and honestly these lights are as bright as they need to be. Hell, I have a 97 Subaru SUS with the clouded over plastic lights and at night the difference between these two is like night and day. I agree a Nav system is a nice option but I would have very little use for it. I'd rather have a sport package (18" wheels, 235/40 tires) option than pay the extra for a nav system. Oh, it's not an alternative to the Lexus or Acura, it's marketed as an alternative to BMW and Audi (hence AWD). 330ix, a4 3.0 quattro.

I'd like to have a few more luxuries, but I think Subie took care of the most important ones. It is relatively light weight, has 250 hp + the torque to match, benign looks, and a quality interior w/ heated seats, an in-dash CD changer, and dual zone climate control. It'd be damn nice to have some AUX ability to hook up a portable MP3 player, as well as drivers seat memory (once you have it, you really appreciate it). I can live without NAV or HID (although I'd probably pay for them if they were available). One thing that I don't understand is the lack of fold down seats on the sedan. I'm not too concerned, tho, as I'm all about the wagon... While Audi and BMW offer most of these options, be prepared to pay through the nose. And none of them offer an equivalent powertrain with the exception of the S4 -- another league all together, price and refinement wise.

Archived