LegacyGT.com

Got a brochure and I'm a bit disappointed...

Jordan, I'm not exactly sure where you get your info, but please post it if its available as I've heard nothing of the like. Does that mean all cars with HID now would have to change lamps or just be grandfathered then? Personally I don't buy it until I see some official word on it. Its one of those things that some people would probably say HIDs kill people, they don't kill people, same deal as Montana, take the limits off and the traffic deaths will skyrocket (I think they actually went down and then back up when reinitiated speed laws.) To me they're less annoying than the 10 million motorists who drive around constantly with tipped lenses and the high-beams on all the time. :roll: Maybe I'd just have to put about 10 Hellas or Cibees on the front of my car then. Will that help my status symbol or would that put me into the rice category? :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was a news bit I read a while ago that mentioned the banning of all aftermarket HIDs. Since it involved aftermarket parts I didn't really pay too much attention. The factory HIDs will be legal. Anyways, the dispersal patterns of factory HIDs have been improving leading to less blinding of other drivers, and lighted/unlighted patterns. I have HIDs in the last few cars, and I would rather have HIDs in my future cars. I'm sure regular lights can be designed halogens will work well, also, but a IMO a well-designed xenon will be better than a well-designed halogen. Anyways, the price for factory installation of HIDs have decreased so much, I don't see why they wouldn't add HIDs as standard.

[quote name='questmgd']There was a news bit I read a while ago that mentioned the banning of all aftermarket HIDs. Since it involved aftermarket parts I didn't really pay too much attention. The factory HIDs will be legal. Anyways, the dispersal patterns of factory HIDs have been improving leading to less blinding of other drivers, and lighted/unlighted patterns. I have HIDs in the last few cars, and I would rather have HIDs in my future cars. I'm sure regular lights can be designed halogens will work well, also, but a IMO a well-designed xenon will be better than a well-designed halogen. Anyways, the price for factory installation of HIDs have decreased so much, I don't see why they wouldn't add HIDs as standard.[/quote] But "better" in what way? You see better in inclement weather with halogens than with HIDs, for example, because the light spectrum has less cancellation effects with a halogen bulb. And at bulb replacement time, the cost is dramatically less with halogen technology. Sure, you don't get that fancy, upscale bluish-white shine, but the lack of HIDs isn't going to be particularly critical to the car. That is, a purchasing decision won't be made or not made because of HIDs. Besides, there is so much the Legacy GT will have, that by the time someone gets to the headlights, they won't care. HIDs are, like 6-speed gearboxes, mostly hype and marketing. In Europe, the quantity of light thrown off by HIDs, compared to a reflector system, is significant. But compared to a nice projector halogen system, it's not so significant. Plus, they have REAL dark in Europe. Driving around the south of France at night, you just forget how much ambient light we have in most places in the U.S. Kevin

Sorry about the vague "better" comment about halogen vs. HID. I should've said brighter with stronger contrast in very dark situations. It may also be my bias because the only halogens that I have driven in the last 8 years or so have been domestic rental cars, and have been rather disappointed with their performance.

I agree, Quest...domestics are pretty appalling when it comes to lighting the road. I was in a friend's Pontiac, and thought he didn't have the lights on! :lol: Tinpusher, I'm not saying that people in the U.S. don't live where it can get really dark. I'm simply saying that a well-designed halogen system doesn't give up much to an HID setup. Kevin

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']My WRX headlights suck ballz.[/quote] Get yourself some Silverstars Dr. Z, they make a noticeable difference. Both Heads and Fogs and then turn the adjustment screw on the Fogs to adjust them up a bit and they add a nice fill. HID's not required with this set-up.

I probably would do that if I was going to keep the car :lol: Plus it was just my excuse to buy those beautiful EDM projector headlights. I was drooling over those things the moment I saw them. I could never quite rationalize that purchase though. :D

The only problem with silverstars is they tend to wear out too quick. Mine burned out within 10-12 months. They run too hot. They didn't have any more in stock where I got mine so I got a set of XtraVisions for less than half the cost. Seen pretty close to the Silverstars from the little night-driving so far, but anything is WAY better than the stock headlights in the older Legs. :)

The upgrade bulb of choice for 9007 is the Philips HiVisibility. Markedly better than the SilverStars in my WRX, when I installed a bunch of different bulbs to see which gave the best/most light. Kevin

[quote name='SUBE555']Cool, how do they rate for price, longevity? What color is the light in comparison to OE? More yellow of white/silver, bluish???[/quote] The light is whiter, with no blue, which means they don't disappear in inclement weather like the SilverStars. :lol: Keep in mind also that the well-reviewed SilverStars are the Osram (European) version, which don't have the blingy blue coating that the kids over here want, to mimic that HID look. USDM SilverStars get the bluing, which reduces the effectiveness of the light they throw out. I just installed them when I was testing the various bulbs, Sube. I don't know about longevity, but Philips stuff, if the VisionPlus bulbs I am using are any indication, are fine. I'm on a year with mine, and no problems whatsoever. Price-wise, I think they're less expensive than SilverStars. Kevin

There's more info on this page than what I could find on the whole of I-Club when I went to upgrade my bulbs. Cheers! Had the Silverstars for 4 months, will try the Philips variety when they go.

[quote name='autobahned']I also saw the pic on the brochure and found the front bumper look different than the Japanese version, I hope they could make it like that...[/quote] Quit posting pictures of my car! Keep doing that and everyone will want one! :lol: :lol: Seriously, where did you find that pic? I want to use it as wallpaper. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'] Seriously, where did you find that pic? I want to use it as wallpaper. Kevin[/quote] Sorry Kevin, I think I browse too many sites to look for the new Legacy, so I don't really remember where the pic from, but you could try [url]www.subdriven.com[/url]

• 8 months later...

Archived