LegacyGT.com

Misfires, Dies at Stoplights, Jerky Acceleration

Hey all, I'm new here. I've wanted a Subaru for years, and I finally got my 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited 5MT in July. I've loved it so far, but a problem has surfaced that has me stumped.

It started getting p0304, Cylinder 4 Misfire. It got it once, about a month ago, then never came back. It didn't run different or anything. A couple weeks ago, it came back, this time with a noticeable shake at idle. I've heard of people needing to replace the #4 injector at around 120,000 miles, and this car is at 130,000. I find a good deal, so I got an injector. Problem seemingly solved. A couple days later, the shakes and code are back. I try spark plugs. The misfire spreads to two cylinders, 2&4. At one point it was 1, 2, & 4. I notice the car only shakes at lower RPMs. Sometimes, it'll die at red lights, or when I'm on the highway and traffic sleds, so I put the clutch in. I've had this on a car before, and it turned out the throttle body was nasty. The car came with service records, so I went back to those. Sure enough, at 125,276 miles, I have a receipt where the previous owner reported the car would stall at red lights, and they found the throttle to be "very dirty", causing a low rough idle, like what I'm having. Also, the owner was told the BCM needed replacing. What I do have that isn't mentioned on the service records is that my car runs almost perfectly, with just a little bit of jerky acceleration, if the engine is stone cold. As soon as the temp needle moves even a bit, it starts having problems.

So, I decided the next course of action would be to clean the throttle body. I pulled the intercooler to discover the inside of the turbo side of the intercooler innards wet with oil. There's also oil residue on the diverter valve to hose (the one with a hose clamp that doesn't require a screwdriver). There's oil residue on the uncompressed side of the turbo on the outside, as well as residue inside the intercooler side of the turbo. The throttle body side of the intercooler smells of gasoline, and the hose leading to the throttle body has oil pooled in the low spots. What's going on? Is this all related, or something separate? Should I continue to pull and clean the throttle body, or not? If this isn't the cause of my problems, what is?

Thanks, redbikemaster.

Photos attached. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/30/c37fa873bea71ff410c8271b42f61519.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/30/f36d3964df10de44125ce0783dcf51fc.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/30/2c8f3a5387cfe0192c3a0adfde9d9a46.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey redbikemaster - (OP of thread)

Your MY06 OB XT LTD (MT) engine's operating symptoms are dam near spot on to our MY05 OB XT LTD (AT) rough running engines circumstances. Only difference is our engine continues to run when the low RPM rough running/shaking begins; Vehicle running, when stopped w/AT in drive, brakes applied as when at a traffic light.

We are the original owners having ordered the then new series Outback XT in late summer taking delivery in Nov of 2004. Our MY05 Outback XT limited w/automatic gearbox model/trim is an October 2004 production. (The Outback was replacing our MY96 Audi UrS6 wagon... what a mistake the Subaru has turned out to be.... The S6 had most if not all of the RS2 Audi/Porsche enhancements etc. A total Under-the-Radar sleeper, luxury wagon if there ever was ... ) anyway ...

Our MY05 Outback XT is my wife's "airport" machine with 2x weekly 45mi hwy runs to a indoor parking at either the DIA or ATL airports. No car ever had it so good or easy ...

... Fast forward 11 years w/98,000 original owner/driver hwy. miles on the clock, no collision history, expert ahead-of-the-curve service history, 3K OCI 5w-30 M1 services ... The JDM Bilstein BTS suspension bits, big brakes, gummy Michelin Super Sports on OEM alloys, etc. Basically a sleeper Outback XT which can both scoot and now reasonably stop some.... an otherwise OE original Outback XT wagon.

Another episode of the "Shake-At-Idle" engine character is back, again,,, this time at 98,000mi.

The first "Shake-At-Idle" symptoms started at around 65K miles and shortly thereafter (69Kmi) it was in the shop for a couple of weeks. We threw the kitchen sink at the Outback XT. When stopped at a traffic light with the vehicle idling changing the AT transmission from Drive with brakes applied,,, into Neutral with brakes applied,,, reduced the outback XT's "shake-at-idle" symptoms.

By now the Outback XT was several years old so the first stop was at the Subaru dealership for a test drive and to pick there Tech's brain before heading off to a trusted Indy shop. The Subaru dealership Tech was dumb founded .... declaring "we've never had such "Shaking" circumstances with a MY05-09 series Outback XT chassis etc ...

At the Indy shop we started with the (automatic) transmission mount and the drive shaft career bearing IIRC. Then onto the motor mounts, front axle CV's (bearings), all the customary Tune-up or serviceable items item's; Iridium spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel filter, air filters, etc., you name it, we replaced it all the whilst using OEM parts etc. The Cliff Notes style writing of my post does not begin to describe the details surrounding the efforts taken - only 3 to 4 years ago or 25K miles ago when confronted with the first "Shake-At-Idle episode.

And now "Its" back ....

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

+ 1 . . Vacuum. A good starting position for the present day diagnosis.

Yes,,, in the past vacuum was checked, it was # 2 or 3 on my list of checks. After a while of continued chasing the cause, a 2nd Tech checked for any vacuum leak. Okay at that time.

M. Schneider, have you ever logged your car, and/or checked for vaccuum/boost leak?

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

I see. Keep in mind that there are some vacuum hoses that are notorious to pop off a lot if not ziptied (e.g. 'blue T' underneath intercooler).

Maybe you should also invest in the following tool as well: btssm

It can help you diagnose a multitude of issues: signs of vacuum/boost leak, knocking, misfire per cylinder, issues with the oil control valves, etc...

I'll have a thorough read of the Btssm thread, some 80 entries. I'll get my scan-speed reading spectacles cleaned up . . .

What is the Android platform only work around? An inexpensive Android pad, phone PDA of sorts.

Any Btssm user/owner in the North Georgia, Atlanta area? Meet for coffee and show off the Btssm gismo?

Cheers, Mike

This tool is just awesome and so convenient. It will not disappoint. What kind of phone do you own? Android or iphone?

In any case, this software currently only runs on android devices. It can be a phone, or tablet. I have my copy of btssm running on both. Here is a layout I was using a while ago :

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=213955&d=1438707135

Don't hesitate to contact heiche (the developer). He is a member here. He is very nice and will answer any questions you may have.

Household phones are Apple. There must be a suitable pad (Android based) which does the trick and not break the bank. Think of the "kit" as another tool drawer.

Great find ! The above screen snapshot is the tits.

Cheers, Mike

You're welcome. You don't know how many times this thing has helped me catch boost leaks, vacuum leaks, maf wiring issues, stuck oil control valves,etc...

One of my favorite featurse is the knock alarm: each time the ecu notices knock, the app can beap at you (optional) for the duration of the knock, AND it will save a knock report (conditions in which it knocked). Been using this for 15 months now.

You can always buy a cheap tablet or something, like a nexus 7 first gen.

Log vvt angles and cylinder roughness/misfire.

If vvt goes out of sync replace the OCV's.

If misfire replace the coil pack on the affected cylinder, then spark plugs, esp if due.

I use 1st & 2nd gen Samsung Galaxy phones w/ BtSsm, inexpensive and adequate :)

I'll check out the gen one & two Samsung Galaxy phones .. The Audi/VW CAN bus based aftermarket software known as VCDS works wonders, well on VW CAN Bus based vehicles ... http://www.ross-tech.com After more than a decade ... it continues to amaze. Best $ money spent. Have to buy this Subaru equivalent ...

Changed the coils packs, Iridium spark plugs, etc., with the last roughness/misfire episode; say 20k - 25K miles ago. That's not so say a coil pack hasn't gone bad for a second time..... but she-it. Thanks. All good advice.

OP .. Does any of this make sense regarding your recent cylinder #4 misfire events?

Cheers, Mike

• 3 months later...

Oh wow, I didn't realize I had all these replies built up.

So, I replaced the O2 sensor at the bottom of the uppipe on advice from a friend. It almost completely cleared up the issue. Then, a couple miles down the road, the check engine light came back on. Almost immediately, the car lost most of its power and I heard a grinding sound come from under the hood. Got it towed home to find out the turbo blew.

My banjo filters were clogged. The turbo banjo filter was 85-90% clogged.

The driver-side AVCS banjo bolt was 100% clogged. From my reading, this was my cause.

The codes that threw the check engine light were the "Timing over-advanced" codes for each bank.

Thanks for all your help guys. I will definitely look into the software mentioned here though.

That sucks. Banjo filters are near or at the top of the list for new owner things to do. Sorry to tell you that now. Now you need to search for dead turbo threads. Drop pan, replace oil cooler, turbo, oil lines, hopefully don't need a new short block. Lots of info here.

Archived