LegacyGT.com

Lock doors with engine running?

Do any of you ney-sayers actually park outside of a garage and live in a winter wonderland state?

Sent from somewhere in Potatoland

Like this?

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/4E020BB3-053C-4E43-B3AB-B71AC92BBDF4_zpsuyciyjpc.jpg~original

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I always warm up my car for five minutes in winter. I don't think its a good idea to cane a cold engine on any car. You generally find people who do so have a neglected looking piece of sh*t ride after a couple of years. Given Subaru's being known for blown headgaskets its even better reason not to thrash the thing cold, IMO.

Getting into your cold car and driving it into a morning sunrise without letting it warm up long enough to insure your defroster is warm enough to keep the inside of the window from fogging over is one of the stupidest things you can do.

Getting into your cold car and driving it into a morning sunrise without letting it warm up long enough to insure your defroster is warm enough to keep the inside of the window from fogging over is one of the stupidest things you can do.

This X1000. I work nights, so I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere in the morning (aside from going to bed). Any time I've attempted to just scrape it and drive, I've been rewarded with blindness, followed by pulling over and letting it warm up a bit longer.

I wonder if you have moisture building up in your car ? Is water leaking in somewhere.

When the defroster is used the A/C is on so it takes the moisture out of the air, so that shouldn't happen.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I wonder if you have moisture building up in your car ? Is water leaking in somewhere.

When the defroster is used the A/C is on so it takes the moisture out of the air, so that shouldn't happen.

I'm honestly having trouble believing you can possibly be serious.....but in the event your not just trolling me. They put out PSAs on this every fall when the sunrise is directly lined up with the east/west roads at this latitude (Michigan) and the morning temperature is low. It happens in every vehicle and is due to the temperature of your windshield in relation to the air temperature, the dehumidifier effect of the A/C running in conjunction with your defroster isn't enough until the temperature of the air blowing out of the defroster is high enough to effectively warm up the windshield and absorb the extra humidity.

Depending on temps the A/C compressor is disabled because outside air is cold enough to be "Free A/C" -20*F you don't need it on at all. -20*F I had bigger issues like GM tranny fluid frozen to the point I couldn't shift into gear to leave out.

Sent from my iFail using Tapatalk App

I'm honestly having trouble believing you can possibly be serious.....but in the event your not just trolling me. They put out PSAs on this every fall when the sunrise is directly lined up with the east/west roads at this latitude (Michigan) and the morning temperature is low. It happens in every vehicle and is due to the temperature of your windshield in relation to the air temperature, the dehumidifier effect of the A/C running in conjunction with your defroster isn't enough until the temperature of the air blowing out of the defroster is high enough to effectively warm up the windshield and absorb the extra humidity.

No really. My wagon leaks a little sometimes when it rains in Feb and Mar. I find that I'll have frozen moisture on the inside after the car has sat in the sun.

I guess that's pretty much what your PSA is saying.

I find it goes away rather quickly.

btw, A/C compressor will not operate at outside temps below 32F as it could be damaged

GM vehicles is about 40*F and residential I believe is near the 50's.

Sent from my iFail using Tapatalk App

btw, A/C compressor will not operate at outside temps below 32F as it could be damaged

Is that right ? Why dose the A/C symbol come on when you push the defrost button when even when it's snowing out ? It takes the moisture out of the car as the hot air blows up the windshield.

I was actually concerned about the exact opposite: making sure I don't get locked out of my car if it's warming up.

This happened to me in 2007. I was working at PACCAR Technical Center in Mount Vernon, WA, on 2nd shift. It had been snowing all evening, and when it was quitting time there was about 18" of snow accumulation. I cleared enough snow to get the door open, started the car and grabbed the window scraper/brush and began clearing the snow and ice.

When finished I found that somehow the doors had become locked. I soon found out just how difficult it is to break into one of these cars too. In fact this is the only car I have ever owned that I have not been able to get unlocked with a coat hanger or a slim Jim.

Ultimately a lock out service had to be called.

Never did figure out how I managed to get locked out with the car running. Since then I have always had a spare key in my wallet.

Of course the situation has not been repeated.

Do any of you ney-sayers actually park outside of a garage and live in a winter wonderland state?

Sent from somewhere in Potatoland

Well, sort of.

Western Washington is more wet than frosty, but we do get heavy, wet snow now and then. :p

Sent from somewhere in the Great Pacific Northwet.

I was actually concerned about the exact opposite: making sure I don't get locked out of my car if it's warming up.

I'll have agree with this too. I have had the doors lock to many times while unloading the car. Luckily its a short walk back into the house the get the keys. Damn hair trigger key fob.

Archived