LegacyGT.com

Blown engine, need some advice

So I blew up my LGT the other day because I lost all of my coolant and burned up the oil and BAM thats how you blow an engine. I can't really do anything about that occurrence so I have moved on to the next step which is: What the hell do I do now??

I would like to know what some of you think I should do. First of all, I paid $6200 for it in January and it had 150k at that time. It currently has 163k and some change. Since January I have replaced the entire front clip (minus one fender and one headlight) due to an accident which cost me over $2000. I have also done some of the usual wear items as expected.

Should I drop in a new engine? By new I don't mean NEW I mean new to me. If I were to find another EJ255, are they all the same? Is there a difference between the WRX, FXT, OBXT, and LGT engines? Or should I just dump the car and sell it for what its worth? Oh, by the way, I'm a broke college student who is currently stuck at college with no car. Thanks in advance!

Take a look at my IDEA sticky up above. There are some listings on about page 6 I think that has several places for used engines with warranty. You might find a good used engine that way.

Also check out the FS threads here and see about part outs and also possible engines there for sale. There are a couple of people on here that sell refurbished short blocks and long blocks too and depending on what you find at the used engine places, that may be an option as well.

Good luck and keep us informed as to what you find.

If you have a small amount of cash for a rebuild I would instead buy an A-B beater to get through to a point where you're not a broke college student. Not what you wanted to hear, but these are expensive cars to get back to a reliable. state.

If you stick with it, there was a small year range where the Sti would be drop in enough. Not sure about the fxt. After 07, the engines got some emissions equipment you would have to deal with. Can be done, just something to think about.

It'll be less pain just to get easy transportation at this stage in life. Last thing you want in your budget is a broken car when cash is tight.

Alright. Thank you. Now, if you were to remove the broke aspect of the situation, what would your thoughts be? From what I can see, a decent engine for less than $3000 is basically nonexistent. If I add labor on top of that, I'd really be looking at spending close to what I paid for it in the first place. Is that really worth doing?

I am putting together an engine on the side while I continue to drive my car, then hope to swap the two in the course of less than two weeks. New SB, extra heads, turbo, and a bunch of stuff that just should be replaced from age is pushing me to 4k. I could have done it cheaper if I reused my short block and heads. I decided to pay more money to have less down time, though I'm able to leisurely spend the next 3 months putting the engine together.

Cursory ebay search for ej255 long block says around 3k. Unfortunately, history of the engine has a significantly larger effect on these engines. Much much more so then say a junk yard 350.

If you love the car, and are okay with the uncomfortable feeling of spending at least 50% of the purchase price when you don't have the cash, go for it. It will be painful unless you have somewhere to store the car and parts, and have a different option for transportation.

You don't want to pinch pennies on the car and end up doing something twice because it wasn't done right the first time. I'd recommend getting a cheap beater car and fix the legacy when time and money permits. That's if you want to keep it. I bought a 94 corolla for $200 and drive it to keep the miles of the legacy. Parts for cars like corolla, civic, sentra etc are very cheap and the cars are generally very easy for the diy mechanic to maintain and repair. Great for broke college students.

So I blew up my LGT the other day because I lost all of my coolant and burned up the oil and BAM thats how you blow an engine. I can't really do anything about that occurrence so I have moved on to the next step which is: What the hell do I do now??

I would like to know what some of you think I should do. First of all, I paid $6200 for it in January and it had 150k at that time. It currently has 163k and some change. Since January I have replaced the entire front clip (minus one fender and one headlight) due to an accident which cost me over $2000. I have also done some of the usual wear items as expected.

Should I drop in a new engine? By new I don't mean NEW I mean new to me. If I were to find another EJ255, are they all the same? Is there a difference between the WRX, FXT, OBXT, and LGT engines? Or should I just dump the car and sell it for what its worth? Oh, by the way, I'm a broke college student who is currently stuck at college with no car. Thanks in advance!

My engine broke end of last year. Cost me $6,000 to get it rebuilt (plus another $2k because I "had" to add new parts in the mix)

You don't want to pinch pennies on the car and end up doing something twice because it wasn't done right the first time. I'd recommend getting a cheap beater car and fix the legacy when time and money permits. That's if you want to keep it. I bought a 94 corolla for $200 and drive it to keep the miles of the legacy. Parts for cars like corolla, civic, sentra etc are very cheap and the cars are generally very easy for the diy mechanic to maintain and repair. Great for broke college students.

That is a good plan A.

Read my click here link. Lots of info there. The machine shop is in Somersville CT.

Where are you located in western MA ? Give us the town.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That is a good plan A.

Read my click here link. Lots of info there. The machine shop is in Somersville CT.

Where are you located in western MA ? Give us the town.

I live in Deerfield MA. The dealer is giving me a quote on rebuilt engine replacement. It is at Twin Cities Subaru in Vermont right now because I attend college at Vermont Technical College

Do a jdm swap

It is 1/2 of the price of a used usdm engine and works out perfectly

Any more info that you have may help.

Can you get a EJ255 from a Legacy GT and just drop it in ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=jdm+ej255+for+sale&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&safe=active&gws_rd=ssl

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I live in Deerfield MA. The dealer is giving me a quote on rebuilt engine replacement. It is at Twin Cities Subaru in Vermont right now because I attend college at Vermont Technical College

At least your in a great area to have a Subaru, lots of them in VT.

Jdm will be ej20x (for a/t) and ej20y(for m/t)

Would that be this one ?

https://www.jdmracingmotors.com/jdm-engines/68/subaru/WRX-STi-Version-5-9-EJ20-&-EJ207-Turbo-Engine(s)#

Lot's of others are sold.

Used engines are too much of a gamble in these cars. Spend the money and do it right the first time or get a used engine and have it blow up and then you have to do it all over again. I would stick with usdm parts and a new shortblock

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Used engines are too much of a gamble in these cars. Spend the money and do it right the first time or get a used engine and have it blow up and then you have to do it all over again. I would stick with usdm parts and a new shortblock

Yep. see my click here link.

60,000+ miles at 21psi. Runs great.

Jdm engine are strong

Mutch more than usdm

Usdm are scrap

And i meen used usdm

When i was searching for a replacment engine it was 4000$ for a 250k and it was the only one....

And jdm was 1000$ and at most 120k

So if you have $ of course build you an engine but i think it is not the case

So for a budget repair i will go whit a jdm

Broke college student and broken engine lgt is bad mix.

How long til you graduate? do you have a job waiting? How much cash/credit do you have to spend on transportation?

As you seem to have a maintenance issue, I'd cut your losses and move on. Engine will be $2000-$10,000 depending on your ability to say no. Dealer rebuild could be a week or less. History says your turbo is dead too. History also says dealer won't replace the turbo which will another engine failure.

If you have storage space and the lgt is your dream car, get a beater . Fix the lgt when you have cash

Either way you still want to grab a reliable beater as stated above. I ended up with a beater but ran it into the ground before the engine build was finished. Now i'm with a fairly new car and a Legacy to build whenever I want. Being that it's cold out, that window closed on me so head work during the winter and spring is totally doable to compliment the other items I may toss in as well. There will be those days you get fed up and want to take a match to it.

As for JDM vs USDM luck is still going to be a factor. Finding what does and doesn't fit may slow you down in future repairs if need be. Also when you go to sell it may help or hurt you. I seen a Leggy go for a bit more with a JDM swap but it wasn't a simple stock engine and trans.

Archived