LegacyGT.com

Thump or clunk noise when driving over rough/bumpy roads?

slowurroll

Hey guys. As the title states, I have a clunk (more of a fairly subtle thump) when driving over rough paved roads and slightly over speed bumps as well (depending on speed). It's not real loud but I am not sure what it's coming from. The car has nearly 100k on the clock so I imagine things are likely to be worn out. I have read that it could be a busing in the front LCA or possible the shocks/struts. Any input on this? Where should I look first? Could sway bar bushings be the cause of this as well? I am wanting to start upgrading suspension all around anyway but if I can eliminate this thump first, that's where I'll start.

I feel like my car has always been pretty loud and clunky when going over bumpy roads.. Still couldn't hurt to replace some aged suspension components. Front sway bar bushings are cheap and fairly easy to replace.

I did some more reading and hear it was kind of normal for these cars to do that. Which frankly is depressing lol. I will definitely be looking at replacing some suspension components.

I thought about switching to the tribeca front sway with new poly bushings to help get rid of the high speed sway that is as bad if not worse than my 7" lifted truck was.

Many here recommend trying the front sway bar end links first.

I had new top hats, coilovers, sway bar bushings, and lower control arm bushings in the front before installing new ball joints and tie rod ends. The only things that hadn't been replaced were the front end links, tie rod ends, and the ball joints. Turns out the ball joints were the source of my clunk. I still haven't replaced the end links but the clunk is gone.

Hm. I'm hoping that if indeed the clunk is able to solved, that I am not replacing everything under the sun lol. But I guess it couldn't hurt either way. I think sway bar and end links will be up first. Then I'll move to either lower control arm bushings or new springs and struts w/top hats.

always start with the swaybar bushings links and mounts. easy and cheap to replace. next is LCA bushings and struts and mounts, then tierod ends and ball joints. all that will cover 98% of suspension noise sources, and all can be tested for play on jack stands in your driveway.

That's good to know and super helpful. Thanks. I'll be sure to start looking into that. Depending on how much I set for a budget for this car over the next little bit, that will determine what I end up doing. But at the very lease I will replace the sway bar bushings and links.

Question on that. I know the bushings will change but if I upgrade end links and later decide to move to the thicker tribeca front sway bar, will the end links I previously purchased still work? I would think so but want to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...
So instead of finding and fixing the problem, you're planning on upgrading to bigger sway bar.

First off I plan to find and fix the problem regardless. A bigger sway bar was in the plans already so if a new sway and new end links helps, then great. If not, the shocks and struts will likely be next. The aging suspension could use an upgrade anyway so I don't see harm in replacing different things that could potentially be the problem. And if they aren't, I will move on to something else.

Archived