LegacyGT.com

E/T on computer only has ---

shiggins

It's true....a small delay before turning the key from on to start makes it work for me too. Very odd really, and obviously something that shouldn't need to be that way.

At least now I don't have to schedule any dealer appt. to get it fixed, especially since the rest of the car has been flawless.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I'm going to give this a try this PM. :) To see if I can duplicate y'alls' ills.

What is interesting to-note for me, here, is that my Autometer NEXUS gauge controller does require this similar type of "sync" period, or else it'll go crazy, too!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I agree, this is not something we should have to do to get the feature to work right. However, the workaround is easy enough that I won't be mentioning the issue to the dealership any time soon. No point in having the trip computer ripped out of the dash if it isn't absolutely necessary.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

I agree, this is not something we should have to do to get the feature to work right. However, the workaround is easy enough that I won't be mentioning the issue to the dealership any time soon. No point in having the trip computer ripped out of the dash if it isn't absolutely necessary.

For the $$ I'm paying it would be absolutely necessary. I do understand where you're coming from though. Best of luck!!!

Funny how 3 of us with '06's have this issue, but no one with an '05 has yet. I thought I was crazy when I first started this thread with this problem.

Ha! Perhaps this can go in the "Subaru Trivia.....2006 LGT vs 2005 LGT" differences and changes thread currently going.

I agree with you Phoenix96, I'll gladly relearn to give myself a brief half second delay or whatever before going from on to start if it results in not having some mechanic tear apart my dash. It's too easy to end up with some sort of dash rattle or something worse for a rather trivial problem.

All-right, on my '05, I also DO NOT have this issue.

I've now started the car what must be a dozen times since my last post. No problems no matter how I crank her over.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Ok I can add something constructive to this thread. I dropped my 05 Legacy GT Ltd (sedan) off last night for a quick service and they gave me an 06 Legacy 2.5i limited wagon as a loaner (love the sunroof). I checked this as I was headed back to get my car an hour ago, and it indeed was displaying --- on the E/T of the 06. My 05 has never done this.

Hmmmm, maybe a nationwide recall is in order. Where's the NTSHA when we need 'em? This is truly a safety hazard.

How can I know if I beat my record time to work or not? The stress will kill me if I forget one day and start my car too fast, make it to work in what feels like record time, only to switch to the E/T function and see ---

Well, it certainly seems to now be confirmed, the --- is a quirk of the '06's and doesn't affect the '05's. Next time one of us with an '06 goes into the dealer for something we should mention it and see what they've got to say. I cannot possibly believe Subaru intended for it to operate this way. If they did, there'd be something in the owner's manual saying, "you cannot start this car the normal way you've started every other car in your lifetime. To get the E/T function to work, you've got to learn to pause in the on to start key motion unlike any other car on the planet. This is done for some obscure reason only we at Subaru can know. Thank you for your paitience."

Well, it certainly seems to now be confirmed, the --- is a quirk of the '06's and doesn't affect the '05's. Next time one of us with an '06 goes into the dealer for something we should mention it and see what they've got to say. I cannot possibly believe Subaru intended for it to operate this way. If they did, there'd be something in the owner's manual saying, "you cannot start this car the normal way you've started every other car in your lifetime. To get the E/T function to work, you've got to learn to pause in the on to start key motion unlike any other car on the planet. This is done for some obscure reason only we at Subaru can know. Thank you for your paitience."

^^^^^

LMAO :)

I've also noticed that the Miles to empty fucntion appears to be giving seeminlgly wrong information. When I picked up my car with a full tank it said 290 miles remaining. I wonder if this is b/c its taking into account the avg mpg? Just curious if you other 06 owners have noticed this. My 2005 with full tank always said 460 miles remaining.

BTW the workaround for the E/T also works for me everytime.

• 4 weeks later...

I've figured it out. See, all the '06 owners who chose that "cell phone user" tranny and the navi option get to answer that retarded EULA statement every time they start up the car or the navi won't operate.

Subaru, in it's infinite wisdom didn't want us proper transmission choosers to suffer or feel discriminated against, so they gave us our own EULA choice. Our E/T computer requires you to aknowledge the EULA by pausing briefly before turning the key to start or it won't operate. It's right in page 43b, subsection A of the revised owners manual only on display at Subaru headquarters in Japan. It's not their fault that you're too lazy to RTFM.

Thanks Subaru! I feel better now.

Here is the response I received from my contact at SOA (a Senior Representative for Customer Dealer Services) regarding this issue:

"I'm not personally familiar with the feature you've described or the problem you're experiencing so I'll have to review it with our technical staff and get back to you. I do know that the way you start the vehicle in order to get the feature to work properly is actually the recommended starting procedure.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't do it and I don't know anyone that does but, pages 7-8 & 7-9 of the Owner's Manual advise that the key should first be turned to the "on" position, you should check and confirm that all of the dash warning lights are functioning, then turn key completely to the start position without depressing the accelerator. Most people, myself included, simply turn the key all of the way to the start position, without the pausing in the "on" position. In prior models, this didn't cause any problems. In the newer models, it could cause some issues. I'll let you know what I find out after I get some feedback from the technical support."

Archived