LegacyGT.com

Issue with alternator rubbing coolant hose.

Here is an odd one for you:

I recently installed Group N engine and the big tranny mount. I noticed today that my alternator has rubbed a groove into the upper radiator hose. I have a Mishimoto radiator and currently have zipties keeping it away from the fan (I really need to remember to order Mishimoto hoses) but the problem is that the alternator sometimes contacts the hose. I don't know why not all the time. It is possible this condition existed before the mounts, but not likely since I check the oil on a regular basis. I would think there would be no movement (at least very little) with the Group N mounts so I'm not sure what the issue is. It doesn't matter if it is in gear, out of gear, on an incline, or if the parking brake is on or off. I can't find a pattern to the issue and I even pushed/pulled on the car while parked in gear and looking at the engine and got no movement from it. I checked the nuts on the engine mounts, they are still tight and I installed lock washers at the time I put them in. Has anyone seen this issue before?

You need to trim the hose so it will push onto the neck of the radiator more and move the hose do it clears the pulley.

Be careful not to trim to much or the fan may hit it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Same story here, I trimmed at both ends, cause if you do only one end, the bends will touch something. The hose does expand as coolant temps go up and becomes pressurized, maybe that is what you are experiencing? Also I took off the "sleeve" that was on my hose, or else the fan would hit it. I also have group n engine and trans mounts

I had the one in there trimmed at both ends, I did research it before I installed the radiator. But, the old hose is as old as the car and was apparently expanding that much. It was filling an inch to and inch and a half gap. I put a new hose in from Auto Zone (until I order the silicone) and it maintains the gap. I guess that old hose was just ready too die.

Archived