LegacyGT.com

ESC on a 2006-2007 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Hello all,

I've been browsing through the ads for Subaru Legacy Wagons, and saw that none of them (accept for the 2007 GT Limited with leather and navigation, which is nearly impossible to find) have ESC. Is there a way to install ESC onto this car If so, how do you? Thanks a bunch in advanced!

Welcome and how much do you need it? If this is for snow, snow tires may be the answer over nanny tech.

It's mostly for my son, who's a new driver (well, soon to be) I think 1. It's a nice-to-have in terms of not spinning out mid corner 2. It'll be a way for him to learn some stuff concerning how computer systems on cars work (We're both a bit geeky when it comes to computers)

I pretty much learned to drive on a 2006 legacy GT sedan and never once came into a situation where esc would have helped. you would have to be doing something seriously wrong to get one of these cars to spin.

as long as you dont get the $20 special tire and have proper rubber on the car, ESC would never be needed

I pretty much learned to drive on a 2006 legacy GT sedan and never once came into a situation where esc would have helped. you would have to be doing something seriously wrong to get one of these cars to spin.

as long as you dont get the $20 special tire and have proper rubber on the car, ESC would never be needed

Ah yes, the absolutely awful tire those always are! Alright, I had a feeling that's what would be said. (I took a test drive in one when it was wet out, it started to slid, barely, once. It was super linear and it didn't really want to kick out it's tail, unless of course I told it to. I blame it on the crappy Uniroyals that were on the rims)

The only sliding these things do in stock form is understeer.

Stability control could likely be retrofitted, but it would be a nightmare in my opinion. There isn't going to be a forum write-up explaining it, that's for sure.

I assume fixing the under steer is just a matter of handling parts (EG: Suspension, Anti-Sway Bars, Suspension, Tires, Rims, etc)

I assume fixing the under steer is just a matter of handling parts (EG: Suspension, Anti-Sway Bars, Suspension, Tires, Rims, etc)

pretty much, however these cars handle very well right from the factory. the only time ive ever experienced understeer was when it was pouring out and unbeknownst to me i had low tire pressure in one of my front tires and i was taking a turn on an on ramp. however even then the AWD saved me from really sliding anywhere and i got back to driving almost instantly.

so to answer your question it would be rather hard to fit ESC on one of these cars, however if you have good rubber and dont try to take a 90 degree trun at 60 miles an hour you shouldnt have a problem at all.

The only sliding these things do in stock form is understeer.

Stability control could likely be retrofitted, but it would be a nightmare in my opinion. There isn't going to be a forum write-up explaining it, that's for sure.

Can confirm. Understeered into the snowbank and I have ESC. Although, it was basically intentional so don't think the computers can handle that....

Learning how to respect the HP and how to drive in bad weather is much better then relaying it electronic gadgets.

Get snowtires, when the first snow comes take him to a big parking lot and play with the car see what it will do when you hit the brakes hard.

Teach him to look ahead and plan how to avoid other drivers.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's mostly for my son, who's a new driver (well, soon to be) I think 1. It's a nice-to-have in terms of not spinning out mid corner 2. It'll be a way for him to learn some stuff concerning how computer systems on cars work (We're both a bit geeky when it comes to computers)

I only had issues with bald tires and then foolishly put newer on the front of the 5EAT that is more rwd bias.

My first car had absolutely no drivers aids and I think for that it made me a more aware driver and thought further ahead. I didn't have ABS, TC, or ESC. As a skier I was in the mountains every weekend and sometimes twice a weekend. Before I was allowed to drive up to the mountains on my own I had to take a course in a "skid monster" which has casters for wheels in the rear and some have them in the front as well which simulate a slide and loss of traction. Even those aren't exactly the same as an actual loss of traction. I did have my fair share of close calls driving in the snow and did hit a snowbank once after understeering around one corner but saving it and then doing the exact same thing without the save on the next corner. This was in a 1999 impreza with an automatic. NA and slow. Since having my LGT I have noticed some understeer but only when driving it extremely hard far outside of normal driving circumstances.

When you talk of not spinning out mid corner he would be driving much too fast for that corner then he should be if he is going to spin out and at that point the ESC is not going to be enough to save him. If you are both into computers you may want to head to the tuning sub forum and do some reading over there and learn about how you guys can access your ecu and rewrite it. That would be a fantastic opportunity for you to learn how computers work in cars.

Here's a skid monster for reference. I highly suggest going through the class if there is one near you.

skid_monster_450x170.jpg

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

My first car had absolutely no drivers aids and I think for that it made me a more aware driver and thought further ahead. I didn't have ABS, TC, or ESC. As a skier I was in the mountains every weekend and sometimes twice a weekend. Before I was allowed to drive up to the mountains on my own I had to take a course in a "skid monster" which has casters for wheels in the rear and some have them in the front as well which simulate a slide and loss of traction. Even those aren't exactly the same as an actual loss of traction. I did have my fair share of close calls driving in the snow and did hit a snowbank once after understeering around one corner but saving it and then doing the exact same thing without the save on the next corner. This was in a 1999 impreza with an automatic. NA and slow. Since having my LGT I have noticed some understeer but only when driving it extremely hard far outside of normal driving circumstances.

When you talk of not spinning out mid corner he would be driving much too fast for that corner then he should be if he is going to spin out and at that point the ESC is not going to be enough to save him. If you are both into computers you may want to head to the tuning sub forum and do some reading over there and learn about how you guys can access your ecu and rewrite it. That would be a fantastic opportunity for you to learn how computers work in cars.

Here's a skid monster for reference. I highly suggest going through the class if there is one near you.

skid_monster_450x170.jpg

Sounds good to me!

Yeah, probably will be doing some ECU tuning when we do get the car. (At that point the account will be my son's anyway. Just wanted to make sure this website was safe and all)

I will look into those! Thank you for the suggestion!

Archived