LegacyGT.com

another reason to disconnect DRLs.....

I don't know when this was written, but it is interesting.....

Q. Will DRLs reduce fuel economy?

A. Yes. The energy required to power the DRLs is not free. It is not surplus energy that is just "available" from the vehicle's engine. Various estimates place the reduction in overall fuell efficiency at 0.25 - 0.5 mpg, and cost estimates range from $5 - $15 per year. GM estimates the annual cost of DRLs at less than $10 per vehicle per year. Multiply that by 200 million vehicles in the US, and you can see why we oppose mandatory DRLs. The cost of DRLs over several years cannot possibly justify the benefits, especially the the benefits are in serious doubt. Given the increasing price of gasoline, the economic impact of DRLs will only get worse. Further, the combustion of the additional gasoline required to power the nation's DRLs will result in several billion pounds of pollutants being exhausted into the atmosphere. What makes the federal government's position on DRLs seem so strange is that the Environmental Protection Agency allows GM to disconnect DRLs before testing!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, complain all you want. Mine are staying on unless you want to fly out here and disconnect them yourself. I know my limitations when it comes to electrical wiring and such. Theres a reason im a computer geek. I hated anything to do w/ wiring and such...

This is rediculous!

Less than $10 a year to be safe.

Is that NOT worth it? Whats the price on your life? Or that of another?

And they never mention how much money it cost to run the A/C, run the cig lighter, the radio, heated seats, power mirrors, rear defogger. Christ, just look at the money you can save if you don't use these options! And they're not even saving lives!

How much gas am I wasting with ALL lights on (headlight switch has been in the ON position since we picked it up at the dealer!)? I better take out a second mortgage!

Crap, I guess I should disconnect my radar detector, auto dimming mirror/compass, that stupid passenger airbag light, trip computer/clock, and go pick up the dash from a 2.5i to replace the electroluminescent dash display on the GT.

Better yet, if you really want to save money, add a block under the gas pedal to limit the travel to half. Even at half throttle the LGT can out accelerate most people on the road. No need to allow someone to go WOT and get 3 mpg.

The arguement the DRL don't work isn't valid. Here in California there are many high fatality roads that require headlights to be on during the daytime. When you are on a two lane road, DRL are really effective about an hour after sunrise and an hour before sunset. The law typically requires headlights to be turned on a half hour after sunset and a half hour before sunrise.

I can't see how electrical draw has any effect on engine resistance unless the draw is so big the engine systems aren't functioning. DRL I'd guess pulls 8-15 amps max. Alternator is rated at 90 amps. Unplugging the DRL's won't make the alternator spin slower, it's still making 60-90 amps, most of which is probably unused juice.

Are you sure this wasn't talking about a hybrid vehicle that runs on batteries & gas?

While I'm on my soapbox, I think the increased visibility of DRL's is mostly effective when the bulk of traffic doesn't have them, thereby making the guy with the lites on more visible. I think once everybody has them on, we'll probably see all the same incident/fatality ##'s as before. Just a theory.

Woohoo - a DRL thread. My turn!

DRLs are a useless idea that give people a false sense of "safety." You notice a car with its light on during the day because that isn't normal., just like you notice strobe lights & sirens on emergency vehicles. If every car had flashing lights & sirens going, do you think you'd notice fire & police? Hell no! The same thing goes for DRLs. As soon as every car has its lights on during the day, they'll all blend into each other and you'll tune them out.

All DRLs do is decrease awareness of truly important vechicles like school buses, gas tankers, etc. They also ruin the ability of a motorcycle's headlight to get your attention. I'm sure they appreciate the increased death rate.

So, in 10 years when accident rates are going up despite the "safe" DRLs, expect to see people insisting that all cars run their hazard flashers when they drive. After that will come full wig-wag strobes for all. Where does it end?

Well, complain all you want. Mine are staying on unless you want to fly out here and disconnect them yourself. I know my limitations when it comes to electrical wiring and such. Theres a reason im a computer geek. I hated anything to do w/ wiring and such...

There isn't any wiring required to disable them. You simply unplug a connector under the dash.

OK, playing devil's advocate now - I do believe they have a benefit on long, lonely roads. You're driving along on an open stretch of 2-lane state road with miles of visibility, another car speeds toward you with no DRL's, he'll basically blend into the background which poses a threat if you're completely dazed out & turn left in front of him. But in that state you're just as likely to fall asleep at the wheel anyway, IMO.

I can't see how electrical draw has any effect on engine resistance unless the draw is so big the engine systems aren't functioning. DRL I'd guess pulls 8-15 amps max. Alternator is rated at 90 amps. Unplugging the DRL's won't make the alternator spin slower, it's still making 60-90 amps, most of which is probably unused juice.

You might want to read up on some electrical theory, then post again.

The alternator will produce anywhere up to its rated maximum depending on what the load is. Therefore, if there is only 15A of load, it will only produce 15A. The lower you can keep the load, the more power is available to go to the wheels. This is basic principles of electrical generation for all AC & DC applications.

;)

I still don't see it - educate me.

Regardless of the load, the alternator only creates a fixed amount of resistance to the engine thru the pulley. Increasing the amperage demands of the vehicle shouldn't make the alt harder to spin, which is the only way reduce the engine's output & efficiency.

Reading your post, it almost sounds like you're saying the unused amperage is going to the wheels, which only makes sense in a hybrid vehicle. If I'm missing something here clue me in.

The alternator is harder to spin with more load on it. Ever have a car idling and turn on all the lights suddenly? Even switching on the high beams can do it. You'll typically see the RPMs drop slightly until the ECU notices.

I use DRL's because almost all my driving is block to block inner city. It is very hard to see other vehicles pulling out of parking spaces or coming up to a two way stop. I think DRL's make it easier for other cars to see me when there at a stop sign and to avoid being crashed into. If the car im driving doesnt have DRL's i drive lights on.

I still don't see it - educate me.

Regardless of the load, the alternator only creates a fixed amount of resistance to the engine thru the pulley. Increasing the amperage demands of the vehicle shouldn't make the alt harder to spin, which is the only way reduce the engine's output & efficiency.

Reading your post, it almost sounds like you're saying the unused amperage is going to the wheels, which only makes sense in a hybrid vehicle. If I'm missing something here clue me in.

Think of your alternator as a water pump. With no water going through it it takes virtually no load, only the mechanical resistance of the bearings in the pump.

Then start pumping, the load on the pump will increase the more water you allow it to pump until it reaches its maximum designed output.

With the water comparison: pressure = voltage, current = flow.

Try to stop thinking of the alternator as being a fixed load. It isn't.

So the internals of an alternator are basically magnets on a rod that spins between coils, thereby creating an electromagnet & generating current. The fact that the current consumption increases doesn't affect the physical resistance of the spinning magnet = fixed load, not variable.

The water pump analogy is faulted in that water has mass that has to be physically moved, electricity doesn't (at least not "real" mass).

So I'm still not seeing it - what exactly creates the added engine resistance?

Almost there......

The magnets on the shaft are not actual magnets but windings of copper wire. As the electrical load increases, the strength of the magnetism has to be increased to produce the extra amperes. The additional resistance of turning the rotor through a stronger magnetic field creates the additional load on the engine.

Yes ?

Almost there......

The magnets on the shaft are not actual magnets but windings of copper wire. As the electrical load increases, the strength of the magnetism has to be increased to produce the extra amperes. The additional resistance of turning the rotor through a stronger magnetic field creates the additional load on the engine.

Yes ?

Gotcha.

Geez, this thread is a joke. Can anyone say...a waste of bandwidth.:rolleyes: Of course by posting a reply I am doing the same thing! :lol:

No one will ever notice an increase in fuel economy or fuel costs by disconnecting DRLs. There are so many variables in determing fuel costs (speed, city/highway, A/C, windows open, accessories being used, etc.) that no one will ever notice the difference.

Personally I believe DRL do have advantages, especially on windy less travelled roads. On highways, I think the advantages are much lower due to higher traffic volumes and the distances between oncoming lanes. I have gotten use to the DRLs and see no reason to disconnect them.

-S

Almost there......

Yes ?

Extra load on the engine is also based on electrical load.

-S

I challenge anybody that claims DRLs to be useless to drive through the deserts of So. Cal., Utah, Arizona, etc. and still maintain that point of view. When you're cruising over rolling hills where the heat and sun reflecting off the pavement makes each dip look as if it's wet you will see an oncoming car with its lights on much sooner than one without. And when you're trying to pass the 18-wheeler in front of you, those oncoming headlights can save you from thinking you can make it around. Not all cars can overtake another as quickly as we can.

I for one think that disabling them is immature and irresponsible. But to each his own.

I live in Canada and am used to DRL. Every once in a while in my everyday commute to work I go for a pass and find out it is pretty tight due to the odd oncoming traffic that does not have DRLs.

Bottom line they make you much more visible and save lives, period.

Archived