LegacyGT.com

Engine rebuilds on GT models past 100k miles?

Earlier this year I came VERY close to buying an 05 Legacy GT wagon....LOVED that car! It was faster than anything I'd driven to that point, super roomy/comfortable, and was very versatile. If the dealer didn't screw around with the price at the last minute I would have bought it.

Today I test drove a 2014 WRX...was NOT impressed. Speed-wise it was fine but it looked/felt like a Corolla.

Problem is, on another forum, someone shared that when you get the older GT/Turbo models they need a LOT of work/money to get them to last longer. Things like engine rebuilds. No clue how much that would cost but it can't be cheap.

Then they talked about dropping in larger turbos and tuning to get them to be remotely fast by modern standards.

I'm too inexperienced to know much about rebuilds, turbo's, or tuning. However, if it's true, then it is not the experience I've had my entire life with NON-turbo Subaru's that will do 200k-300k with nothing more than timing belts and oil changes.

What is reality when it comes to work needed on 100k turbo Subaru's?

Thanks

-Emt1581

You'll need deep pockets. These cars do need lots of TLC. But in return they will give you great bang for the buck.

I have 212,000 miles on my 05 GT wagon. That is not much on it other then 3 axles that has not been replaced when it comes to things that rotate or move on the car.

I bought it new late June 2004 and I've paid for it at least twice. I love the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Depends on the care they have been given. My 2005 is almost at 135k and still has the original clutch. I've changed the oil (synthetic) every couple months and my oil consumption is insignificant; it reads full all the time. I'm going to get the turbo inspected for wear when I get the uppipe replaced with an uncatted pipe sometime in the next year (if I'm not mistaken the uppipe was uncatted in 2007 and later LGTs. Have Subaru check to see if the rear wheel bearings were replaced under warranty (warranty extended to 100k due to problems), And lastly, sorry, mine is not for sale.

Ok, so these are NOT like non-turbo Subaru's then. That's one hell of a game changer for me because I was previously under the impression that Subaru's were Subaru's the world over. Seems like I was right for the base models but for the turbo's then need more maintenance.

Thanks

-Emt1581

The adage "you have to pay to play" holds true for the LGT however, you can make these cars very fast for a fraction of the cost compared to most other makes and models out there. Unfortunately, "reliable" and "performance" will never be in the same sentence when it comes to automobiles, but like Max Capacity said, the LGT is still a good bang for your buck.

I'll add for the OP, these cars like to be driven for long distances, they don't seem to do well if there are driven for short distance's as a DD.

My wagon is my DD, 32 miles one way to work, most of that highway. The only sensors and like stuff I've replaced are the O2's. Still on stock fueling.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived