LegacyGT.com

2015 WRX 6mt question

kaluce

So an acquaintance of mine rolled his 2015 WRX somehow. Since the driveline seems to be OK from what I can see (though the entire interior is completely trashed with all airbags and what not deployed), I was contemplating buying it (sans engine) as an upgrade for my 5mt XT.

I would be getting the entire drive line from the clutch pack back: axles, hubs, brakes, calipers, rear diff, driveshaft, 6mt transmission, shift knob, and clutch assembly. I could also buy the rims, and tires, as well as suspension parts off him if needed.

My question is, would getting this running in my 05 Outback XT be "easy" like a standard STI 6mt is? or would it require too much fabrication to get it running? I know that the transmission is from a completely different era and engine, and I don't think it's been ever attempted before.

Before you hit reply and blast me on price: I'd be getting the parts for seriously cheap as payment for helping him part the car out. Roughly the same cost as a traditional STI swap, but with significantly fewer miles on the clock and newer parts.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I didn't want to post this on NASIOC because... I'd probably get angry 16 year olds and trolls.

Just so you know, I just want to say this now. The WRX 6mt is in no way similar to the STI 6mt. They're completely different transmissions. I don't think this would be considered an upgrade honestly, and i'd just stick with your factory 5 speed. I don't personally like the 6mt in the wrx, it's too sloppy and I prefer the 5 speed.

On that note, I'm not even sure if that transmission bolts up properly to an EJ block.

Not blasting you at all, I just want to make you aware of this before you consider the swap.

Good idea posting here though, I've found LGT to be more professional and reliable than NASIOC.

I did some digging and saw that the new WRX 6 speed transmission was designed for (or at least was based on) one of the Subaru Diesel engines. I was kind of hoping that it'd use the same bellhousing as the EJs due to Subaru's propensity toward designing Lego-like cars, and if that bit about diesel was true, I was hoping it would be able to take abuse from engine torque beating on it.

My 5 speed is fine for now, but if it were a token effort to install and mate it against our EJs maybe it would've been nice for when my trans eventually dies. You're probably right though, and it probably wouldn't bolt up without a lot of effort and modifications.

This question went back to the problem with my engine (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/been-chasing-odd-rough-idle-well-244619.html) because I was thinking about what to do if it were something like a blown ringland (haven't bought a compression test kit yet, but with my luck on this car...)

Originally I was thinking about doing a full FA20DIT swap, but I saw I'd need to modify the frame due to the differences between the different engine mount locations between the EJ and the FA, and I just don't want to expend that kind of effort to do what would be an 8hp increase (when both were new, so probably ~28 hp now) Though the significant boost in fuel economy would've been nice.

It's the same tranny that's in the 5th Gen. It's cable actuated versus your tranny which is a linkage. Because of that, it probably won't fit in the transmission tunnel. The mechanism that houses the shifter bolts into the tunnel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Subaru-WRX-Impreza-Manual-Shifter-OEM-Stock-/141754084526?hash=item210133acae&vxp=mtr

Archived