LegacyGT.com

08 lgt auto lazy power

I just got my 08 LGT auto w/ 120k back after a shop installed a new short block.

I haven't really rugged it much where its a fresh motor but the power/pull seems lazy. A quick blip of the throttle has a small hesitation before the engine will respond. The shop had the car for a couple of weeks after the motor was installed and running to "figure a few things out". Its a new short block,complete head job done,new ocv valves,new vf 46 turbo and a stock tune. No other mods. Ive had the car for 400+- miles. I do see that the P420 code is still prevalent. Hasn't set the light off yet but it is a pending code. No other codes present.

When im getting on it there is a point through the power band that a switch is flipped and it really will pull hard. I haven't been able to narrow it down to RPM,gear,throttle position etc. Is this common or should I be on the lookout for something?

Run a boost leak test and make sure all vacuum hoses and lines under hood are tightly attached at both ends.

Can you create a data log? A simple 2nd or 3rd gear pull would be able to help out with diagnosing a potential issue. Pull a Learning View too.

Run a boost leak test and make sure all vacuum hoses and lines under hood are tightly attached at both ends.

Can you create a data log? A simple 2nd or 3rd gear pull would be able to help out with diagnosing a potential issue. Pull a Learning View too.

I do not have the necessary cable/s to do this. Ive been contemplating on whether to buy an Accessport or buy the cable/s? I do not have a lap top but im sure I could borrow one if I needed to. Ive seen 2 cables mentioned in here, Tactrix and a Vag Com cable. I want something fairly simple to use and wont be tweaking any of the tunes myself. Any recommendations on which route to take?

Didn't see oil cooler, was that also got or did they try to flush the old one?

After much deliberation with the shop they told me I was wasting money if I was going to replace it. I was told there was ZERO metal found anywhere in the motor. So they did not replace it

What he said ^

Also you may want to reset the ecu, then drive the car as your normally would. If the shop babied it after the new SB the ecu learned that.

You should also contact at Tuner, www.tuningalliance.com is who I use. BrenTuning is another good place outside of Boston.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have a hard time believing that, why was the shortblock replaced? Turbo failure? spun bearing? Cracked ringland?

A small piece of the top of the #4 piston broke off. I don't know if that is still considered the ringland or not?

I need to figure out what is going to be the best/economical way for me to get off of the stock tune? I saw one of the vendors on here would discount their tune if you were to purchase an access port from him. However I really don't want to spend $700+ more then the $6000 ive already spent. That doesn't include the $3000 I gave the fing clown 6 months ago when I had a burnt valve repair done.

What he said ^

Also you may want to reset the ecu, then drive the car as your normally would. If the shop babied it after the new SB the ecu learned that.

You should also contact at Tuner, www.tuningalliance.com is who I use. BrenTuning is another good place outside of Boston.

Ill try resetting it and see how that goes

I know you don't want to add to your already steep bill. But think of how much you spent...that's a lot to risk on the stock tune. Sounds like you had a burned valve (me too) but staying on the stock tune is asking for that to happen again, even if it's down the road. Keep your eyes peeled for a used AP and get an e-tune. You might be able to get it done for around $500 instead of $700 but even at those prices it's about 10% of your rebuild cost and worth it for piece of mind IMO.

You should at least call my Tuner and see when he plans to be at the dyno next. You could drive there and meet him for at least a street tune. He uses ESP dyno in Sterling MA a few miles above Worcester.

TO give you an idea what he ecu can do: I have a boost leak at the TB hose for a while. I got tired of messing with the IPR tmic, I bought GS tmic for the car. Met up with Mike at his house, it plugged into the OBD2 port and said the ecu had learned some funky things. I could tell the car was driving funny. He made a quick change. When I pulled out of his driveway for the street tune, I could already feel the difference.

Your ECU may still have the map it learned to compensate for that bad piston.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived