LegacyGT.com

Times is Hard and I need an engine: JDM ej20 vs. USDM ej25

1.) First off let me preface by saying I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the word.

2.) And Secondly "Times is Hard" so I'm looking for the best/cost effective alternative.

I have a 2005 Legacy wagon limited and I am needing to replace the engine (2.5L SOHC AT). I've searched various sites (craigslist, ebay, etc) and during my search I kept coming across the exact engine I need for about an avg. of $1500. And then I kept seeing these "JDM EJ20 Replacements" for around $$900 -$1000. After researching more I found that these engines are very basically the same (minus some HP and torque) and actually are said to be a perfect swap. I wanted to know if there are any pros and cons to the ej20 replacements and should I be weary of the them. Also are there any JDM sources you would recommend to getting one from. And would an Imperza or forester engine be the same 2.5L SOHC thats in my wagon; is it really that easy or am I overlooking an important factor/s?

An EZ30R would also be a contender. Lots more torque in an NA motor for a DD wagon. They too are relatively cheap.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

An EZ30R would be a better choice for a worry free daily. I don;t think they're riddled with as many nuances and intricacies as the turbo motors. I believe they have been known to last a little longer as well, I've seen many 200k+ miles EZ30/EZ36 vehicles.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Search for an 2005 salvaged OB 2.5i, Legacy 2.5i of Forester 2.5 XS they all have the version 1 EJ253 (your engine) and there are many of them sitting in salvage yards or their engines sitting on racks.

Do not buy a JDM EJ20, EZ30D (All EZs are "D" the R got mixed in due to the Legacy trim level 3.0R) , EJ25D, or a EJ205

You could make a EJ251 work but it wont be direct plug and play same thing with a 06-10 EJ253 it wont be a direct plug and play but can work and are widely available.

Cheapest route will be to find a running EJ253 from a 05 Non turbo 4 cylinder Subaru or Saab.

Second best option if to have your engine rebuilt, depending on the failure that could rank this option less appealing (head damage, block damage, etc)

Third best option is to buy a rebuilt EJ253 shortblock (05 specific) and slap your heads and accessories onto that, drop it in and go about your way.

Another option is to find a 06-10 EJ253 Subaru and swap the ECU and engine over.

Time are hard so asses your cash flow and ability to obtain it vs buying another used car. Non turbo Subarus dont hold value well, cost more to maintain that a FWD I-4 equipped vehicle and may not be needed depending on your climate.

An EZ30R would also be a contender. Lots more torque in an NA motor for a DD wagon. They too are relatively cheap.

I would have totally went that way seeing that I just about replaced most of the engine besides the heads and intake manifold in this rebuild.

^^Gee-Otto you are an na subaru god.. I had to learn what he said recently the hard way jdm motors are usually more trouble then there worth. Find the exact engine you had it will save you some headache and your cash in the long run.

Plus your 4eat will not handle an H6 well IMO

Archived