LegacyGT.com

aftermarket coil

I don't think you can use one with turbo legacies since they use a coil on plug ignition system.

For the non-turbos, if they offer them, I don't think it would be worth the money.

I actually just started a new thread in the Turbo Powertrains sub-forum about some (supposedly) better coils from Cosmo Racing:

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=350&pid=2512

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

• 1 year later...

What is the benefit of "high power" ignition coils? Other than the sexy girl on the web page? ;)

Until the OEM coils die, they seem to have enough power for good ignition, don't they?

Fuel economy claims, increased horsepower claims sounds like snake oil to me.

• I Donated Too

That's exactly what they are. The Okada plasma's for example... if you spend the best part of $1000 on some high power ignition coils you can be certain you will convince yourself you feel some benefit. You will absolutely tell yourself you do and you will even write a review to tell others you didn't just waste your money and further convince yourself you aren't an idiot.

Whatever benefit there actually is for our racecars will be wasted and insignificant to us over using a brand new OEM coil.

What makes me suspicious is if you look inside the OEM plug - it's filled with epoxy and would be extremely hard to remove although I am sure someone knows some process involving some awful chemicals which will 'safely' dissolve that hard epoxy I just can't see it being a very good process whatever method you use so when I see this about the Cusco High Capacity Ignition Coils (from 2 years ago) on the RSD sales page...

information on them is almost non-existent. Its very hard to consider spending the money on these as a result. There are no reviews, no posts anywhere on the Internet with feedback from actual users, no proven dyno gains, and worst yet, these coils have the Diamond FK0333 OEM part numbers stamped on them. Dropping $1000 on an item that (for all we know) is an OEM Coil with a CUSCO sticker on it is a very hard sell. Is there anything you guys can provide to back these up with real feedback?

The part number, FK0333, is an OEM part number housing. Cusco upgrades the internal though. Cusco has tested on EVO 9 with HKS manifold, turbo back exh., bdm flash, 20 psi base run = 324.60ps. Cusco has installed the ignition coil and gained 12hp = 336.58ps Horse power gain is little but the main purpose of this part is stabilize and gain spark power to maintain the best condition at higher rev. It is bit hard to feel on Turbo charged car than N/A.

Soup from a stone.

Archived