LegacyGT.com

Project Legacy Gt outback begins...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still waiting on a set of adjustable trailing arms to push the rear wheel back to center.

Ride is amazingly good. Since the gt sedan is much lighter than a 3.6r outback, the stiffer Springs make a noticeable difference.

It's actually a stiffer ride vs the stock gt setup. Sportier too.

It's like a firmer ride with endless travel. I no longer bottom out at all.

I am very happy with the setup.

Just need to install the spacers, install the adjustable trailing arm, get bigger tires.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just a FYI... I compared the stock gt rear upper arms with those from the brz/frs.... Seems Identical.

There are a lot of aftermarket upper control arm options for the brz/frs.....

Very cool project! Thanks for taking the time to post all the details and photos. What kind of bike rack have you been using? I'm a mountain biker too. There are times when I definitely would like a little more ground clearance, such as when driving down fire roads to trail heads. Stiffer springs would also be welcome for when loaded up with cargo/bikes, or when towing (I also occasionally tow 1-2 dual sports/dirt bikes on an open trailer).

I think if anyone wants a minor lift,you can definitely fit the outback Springs on the gt struts.

That's an interesting idea. I would really like to know the specs of the Outback springs, such as free length and spring rate. Having an extra coil doesn't really mean much. You can have a spring with more coils that could actually result in a lower ride height when installed in the same strut, if the spring rate is lower (the spring could sag more, despite having more preload because it is longer). In fact, if the cross-sectional diameter of the spring coil is the same, the spring with more coils will actually have a lower spring rate. However, if the spring DOES have a significantly higher rate, and it is longer, it could potentially cause the stock strut to constantly "top out", which would cause a rough ride and accelerate strut wear.

I'm strongly considering just buying a set of King raising springs. They are supposed to be 20-30% stiffer than stock, and raise the ride height about an inch. Sounds like what I'm looking for. However, I'm not sure how well the stock strut will dampen the stiffer springs, and the springs are not cheap. I wish we had more people on the forum who have actually raised their suspensions so I wouldn't have to feel like a guinea pig.

I have a Yakima double down ace. Works well. It's a four bike carrier, however I wouldn't carry more than two mtb without the risk of scratch the crap out of each bike.

With the hitch, rack, two bikes, the rear suspension is pretty much riding on the bump stops.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/11/0cdff43c1c32cbae53e5a1bcc2af2fd3.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/11/6e0e215b03aa8fc1b0b7224f3e1fe092.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/11/3f89717c46d8b886cf749ec65964b839.jpg

Edited by rpmk104

Was able to do a quick alignment tonight. The rear toe was way off. Massive toe in, about 2cm toe in on each side. Did my best to zero the toe. There is a slight toe in for the front, not too worried about that.

How about some more pictures?

Too much ground clearance?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/12/21be1e72b7bd52dfba59c90050836506.jpg

Doesn't look that bad....

Can you get a picture of it with one tire up on a boulder like at the Jeep dealership? (jk)

But seriously, I'm jealous. So what is required for sure?

- 10-14 Outback struts and springs

- 10-14 Outback rear upper control arms

anything else? are the lower control arms necessary?

Would I be able to get away with adjustable lower control arms instead of the uppers from an Outback?

What do you think Outback springs on Legacy struts would do? about an inch?

There's no way to know that until its been tried. Probably unexpected results because the Outback struts have more extension and travel than the Legacy units.

Looks great! I think bigger tires/wheels make it look even better. Maybe you could "try out" a set if you are know any outback owner that would let you try on their wheels/tires? The ground clearance is awesome! You will do well in the snow too!

I would recommend sticking with the 10-12 outback suspension. My car ride a good bit stiffer than stock. I would imagine it will be even stiffer with the 13-14 setup.

You might be able to get away with using the gt upper arms, but you will definitely need adjustable lower lca and toe links.

I would strongly recommend getting the adjustable trailing arms as well to push the rear wheel back to center. Mine are on order and should be here next week. Hope there is enough adjustment on the arm.

Edited by rpmk104

The outback Springs should fit the legacy struts. Some of the outback guys dropped on the gt suspension are running the outback Springs in the rear since the gt spring is too soft for the extra weight of the wagon... The person which I bought the outback suspension from is running the liberty wagon Springs on the gt rear strut. But no one has tried it on a sedan. Like GTEASER said, you might risk topping out the gt strut.

I guess I just don't see the point. Raised too much IMO. You can't put massive rubber on and even going with a much smaller wheel and larger tires is going to be an issue given the size of the brakes.

Think you should have just went the strut spacer route. Like Impreza/Forestor guys. Would have given you some extra height without looking ridiculous.

I agree with Blizz, it does look a little ridiculous. Still glad to see someone try it. I think you need some meaty tires, and wheels that aren't so sunken in. Also, an Outback front bumper will give it some heft to the look.