LegacyGT.com

A/C clutch rebuild

I've searched, googles and here and I can't figure out if the AC clutch is removable and serviceable, or if it's press-fit onto the compressor. The factory manual says to replace the entire pump if the magnetic clutch isn't working properly. That's expensive so I'm looking for any other options if they're out there.

Mine is squealing, and I can see the clutch slipping. It worked fine before all the part replacements, then I washed the engine to get it to stop smoking because of all the oil and antifreeze that had spilled.

At about 2K RPM it stops squealing, sometimes. Is it just dirty, are the contacts to actuate the magnetic clutch dirty?

Anybody have some experience with this? Would like to squeeze out a few more miles out of it if possible.

This thread might help you with your issue:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/c-compressor-clutch-replacement-diy-walkthrough-149236.html

Plus I would suggest that you use some brake parts cleaner and spray it with the straw between the pulley and the clutch. See if that makes a difference once dried. Some of that oil and antifreeze may have contaminated the clutch causing it to slip and make noise. It may not actually be worn out. Just a suggestion.

I replaced the bearing on my AC pulley recently and had a squealing problem upon reassembly. Turns out I had misplaced the washer that went between the pulley and clutch. Once I replaced it everything worked great.

While it was off I had the clutch powder coated and the friction surface bead blasted to clean it up.

Archived