LegacyGT.com

Footwell illumination for under $10

I'm really eager to get this mod done so this morning I did a dry run (while I was waiting for the parts to arrive) to see how hard it would be for a guy who is 6'3" and 270 lbs. and it really was a snap. A few observations, the lower under dash panels come down easy squeezing the 3 finger tabs at the front of each panel. There is plenty of room to run wires from the vent to both passenger and driver sides. Use a flashlight to find the path. And lastly make sure you snap the white plastic connector cover properly or else you will not be able to set the connector deep enough to make contact with the hazard button to make contact. Looking at the 2016 brochure online and Subaru wants $164 for this option! Thanks again Andrew.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like you extended it to the rear seats!

Yep I figured if I were doing all that work already I'd just leave the wire long enough to run to the back as well, an extra few feet of wire and two extra sockets for the added illumination is so worth it!

Yep I figured if I were doing all that work already I'd just leave the wire long enough to run to the back as well, an extra few feet of wire and two extra sockets for the added illumination is so worth it!

How'd you run the wires to the rear and where did you attach the sockets? I'm tempted to do this now seeing how good it looks!

How'd you run the wires to the rear and where did you attach the sockets? I'm tempted to do this now seeing how good it looks!

It was very easy to run the wire under the plastic trim from the front wheel wells passed the console and then coming down by the seat belt. It's not hidden completely, but I figured no one would really notice a thin red wire by there.

At the moment it's just floating on the floor under the seats and I attached the ground to the bolt of the chair... that's safe right?

I took a picture earlier of it, but it might be too dark to really show it, and it wasn't grounded yet.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/11/851bdf398a0475cf5b989d2b5a9d758c.jpg

Edited by Nybz

Finished my footwell lighting last night. The bulbs I got are a little bright so I ordered some 1 watt 1 smds to replace them. I told the wife she could now check out her pedicure, at a stop of course!

It was very easy to run the wire under the plastic trim from the front wheel wells passed the console and then coming down by the seat belt. It's not hidden completely, but I figured no one would really notice a thin red wire by there.

At the moment it's just floating on the floor under the seats and I attached the ground to the bolt of the chair... that's safe right?

I took a picture earlier of it, but it might be too dark to really show it, and it wasn't grounded yet.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/11/851bdf398a0475cf5b989d2b5a9d758c.jpg

Very cool! That should be safe, anything bolting directly to the chassis should make a good grounding point.

Finished my footwell lighting last night. The bulbs I got are a little bright so I ordered some 1 watt 1 smds to replace them. I told the wife she could now check out her pedicure, at a stop of course!

Yeah, I'd agree it may be a bit overpowering for some. I'm thinking about swapping my bulbs out too, hoping to find some darker blue ones to match the gauges better.

I'm pretty happy with the 5 lumen bulbs I bought. I thought they'd be too dim, but they're pretty awesome

Does the color match the gauge cluster lighting pretty well? If so where'd you get them? Mine right now have a teal-ish hue to them, really wanna find some dark blue ones.

Does the color match the gauge cluster lighting pretty well? If so where'd you get them? Mine right now have a teal-ish hue to them, really wanna find some dark blue ones.

Tried getting a picture with both to showuploadfromtaptalk1439609162053.thumb.jpg.df58152ccf507bba46c5d6ebb301765f.jpg it

Looks nice man! Where'd you buy them?

I don't know if I'm allowed to link what I bought lol

So I bought the bulbs for the foot well and the puddle lights from Super bright leds

The footwell part is the blue 120 degree 5 lumen listed as WLED-x-x-CAR

The puddle lights are 100 lumen WLED-BHP6-DAC: Blue

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/15/b679898358f5d840213656ad40c1d5fc.jpg

Okay so I just finished doing my footwell lighting and everything works to plan, the only thing is...my hazard light won't work now? any suggestions on what I did wrong lol?

http://s7.postimg.org/irk6d1n0n/IMG_3691.jpg

Looks good! Only thing I can think is maybe the connector pin shifted and now it doesn't make contact with the hazard switch. Pop the vent out and wiggle the plug around, see if it kicks on. If that doesn't work pull out your wire tap and see if it works without it. If it does put it back and test. Let me know how it goes.

If you don't seat the little white clip down properly it won't set right and will not allow the plug to go deep enough in the hazard connector. Slide the clip on from the backside of the plug. Follow the tracks on the side of the connector.

Do you think it'll work with a similar procedure for the 4th gen legacy's?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Does your hazard switch light up with headlights/parking lights on? If so it should be possible. You'll have to drill holes for the sockets or mount them in some other way unless 4th gens had the twist-lock openings too. Not sure what your hazard connector looks like either, I'd assume it's similar in terms of tapping into it but can't say for sure.

If you have any questions feel free to ask

So does anyone have any thoughts if hooking this up to the existing PWM dimmer would be a good / bad idea?

I don't really see why this WOULDN'T work? I would just suggest to make sure you connect an inline fuse holder with at least a 5WATT fuse? try it out!