LegacyGT.com

Moving to the PNW - Recommendations and Advise

Fasemelta

It's not just the rain. It's that plus the short days plus grey skies all adds up to a very depressing late fall/winter months. It doesn't get extremely cold but the wetness makes it feel colder. Make sure you're mentally prepared for that.

This is a big deal. its 9 months of gray followed by 3 months of summer. Jan thru mar see alot of trips to vegas, California, and Hawaii looking for sun.

If you get outside its ok.

The rain is a myth. However everyone owns an excellent mountain parka for the extended rainy times. its not the heavens opened up type rain you get in the Midwest. its more of 5 days of light rain that just enough to soak you.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a big deal. its 9 months of gray followed by 3 months of summer. Jan thru mar see alot of trips to vegas, California, and Hawaii looking for sun.

If you get outside its ok.

The rain is a myth. However everyone owns an excellent mountain parka for the extended rainy times. its not the heavens opened up type rain you get in the Midwest. its more of 5 days of light rain that just enough to soak you.

This right here. I lived in Cincinnati and Memphis for years and the rain in Seattle is nothing like those. It just happens more days out of the week in the Seattle area. Also my aunt is a real estate agent in Snohomish if you're interested.

The nice thing about the usual winter rain here is that you can still go out and do stuff. Just get a good waterproof jacket and something to keep you warm and you're fine.

I moved here from Texas where the rain lasts 5 minutes but it's so heavy that you're soaked to the bone. Then it's so humid you never really dry off.

The nice thing about the usual winter rain here is that you can still go out and do stuff. Just get a good waterproof jacket and something to keep you warm and you're fine.

I moved here from Texas where the rain lasts 5 minutes but it's so heavy that you're soaked to the bone. Then it's so humid you never really dry off.

Tell me which brand of waterproof jacket gets rid of those seemingly endless weeks of gloomy skies without sunshine? Is it Patagonia, Northface, or Arc'teryx? Do I have to get a bright yellow one? :iam:

I have enough drama for now.....

The thing I hate is going to work and returning home in the dark.

I totally agree...this is something that I can relate to here, except its bitterly cold most of the time after the sun goes down. There is nothing to do outside in the winter months so time to hibernate and save up for that enormous heating bill...

One of the biggest motivations for moving is the activity factor...I feel like a slug from nov to march here.

Also thank you b_holm and bloodshot for looking out for me!

Thanks guys,

I like to mountain bike, but I have never been on a mountain with my bike....somewhat ironic

I'm sure there are mean trails everywhere, what are some of the hotspots?

We try our hardest to eat as healthy as possible. Home-cooked meals with our homegrown vegies are a regular for us. We have great sucess with plants that love heat and humidity (tomato, corn, peppers). What are some good vegies in your climate?

Thanks guys,

I like to mountain bike, but I have never been on a mountain with my bike....somewhat ironic

I'm sure there are mean trails everywhere, what are some of the hotspots?

We try our hardest to eat as healthy as possible. Home-cooked meals with our homegrown vegies are a regular for us. We have great sucess with plants that love heat and humidity (tomato, corn, peppers). What are some good vegies in your climate?

bike wise you can ride duthie which is near issaquah, tiger mountain is always good. and stevens pass has a down hill park during summer.

sounds like dinners at your house :hide:

Thanks guys,

blah....blah....blah

(tomato, corn, peppers). What are some good vegies in your climate?

Weed! You grow them indoor during the colder months and then take them outside when it's nice and warm.

I have enough drama for now.....

The best crop to grow! Better believe I'll be sowing some seeds and waiting for the harvest. However, that plant would get me locked up here, I've seen too many people's lives ruined by the government... It's really, really refreshing to know that you folks are more tolerant towards it.

The best crop to grow! Better believe I'll be sowing some seeds and waiting for the harvest. However, that plant would get me locked up here, I've seen too many people's lives ruined by the government... It's really, really refreshing to know that you folks are more tolerant towards it.

The truth behind relocation comes out. ;)

Sent from my XT1028

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

[emoji28] Hahaha! It's on the list but not the most important factor. I'm sick of paying lots of money and having to sneak around with it when anyone can grow the stuff.

I'm sure you guys are getting flooded with stoney-bologna's like Colorado and probably aren't too thrilled about it. (Rightly so)

I'd rather not be lumped into that crowd. . .

sounds like dinners at your house :hide:

When I find a place (thanks to your friend) I'll definitely have a party...you are all invited because we don't know anyone out there[emoji26]

[emoji28] Hahaha! It's on the list but not the most important factor. I'm sick of paying lots of money and having to sneak around with it when anyone can grow the stuff.

I'm sure you guys are getting flooded with stoney-bologna's like Colorado and probably aren't too thrilled about it. (Rightly so)

I'd rather not be lumped into that crowd. . .

When I find a place (thanks to your friend) I'll definitely have a party...you are all invited because we don't know anyone out there[emoji26]

Washington's law does not include personal growing. Oregon does. Something to take into account.

Washington's law does not include personal growing. Oregon does. Something to take into account.

are we all talking about growing the same thing..? :hide:

party? I'm in! gonna have to introduce you to some fresh king salmon

:edit: i have a feeling we will be friends haha

are we all talking about growing the same thing..? :hide:

party? I'm in! gonna have to introduce you to some fresh king salmon

:edit: i have a feeling we will be friends haha

A manly handshake ensues!

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/001/051/764/original_original.gif

At the moment we would be renting, until we get the lay of the land and stable jobs.

So, I'm actually moving from Boston to Portland. Already sold the house, all our crap is in a Pod out there already, and one of two vehicles is out there with the second vehicle being picked up tomorrow. We fly out Sunday morning and we get the keys to our new place Monday morning.

We decided to rent first for the same reasons. We signed a one year lease pretty much sight unseen. We just did a lot of looking on Zillow and the like and make sure we're happy with the photos of the place with the understanding that things might be a bit different then the pictures. People we talked with out there said that the housing market can move pretty fast out there.

We're moving mostly for the culture and climate change. When 100 inches of snow gets dumped on you within a month, it tends to change your perspective on winter weather.

This is a very helpful thread with tons of good information. I'm approaching a junction in my career and personal life now where picking up and moving to the west coast (Seattle, bay area, SD) may become a reality in the next year or so. The landscape, access to tons of outdoor activities, and excellent brewing culture are major incentives.

Also, Arc'teryx or bust. Theta AR is the best hardshell I've ever had the opportunity to abuse.

So I'm seeing a lot of nice houses in our price range near the Bonney lake area. . .obviously a little further than I'd like to be, but how does the area compare to let's say. . .Maple valley? (my #1 at the moment)

I like bonney lake. youre right there next to lake tapps, but it is quite a bit more populated then maple valley. still really nice though

Either one is fairly close to the jumping off point for Mt Rainier. Bonney Lake is just further from Seattle, but closer to Tacoma. Easier to get down to Portland.

I think MV is nicer, but it is very popular because of the school district so $$$$.

i'm suprised no one has mentioned snoqualmie!

it is just east of Issaquah and i would much rather live there and MV or Everett

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

Archived