LegacyGT.com

Another dumb oil question..H6 specific

My recently acquired old car, 2005 Outback 3.0 R, is soon in need of an oil change. 159,600 miles. Runs real well. First oil change I used Max Life 5/30. Now , 3000 miles later, Max Life again, or a good synthetic 5/30 ? I generally feel more confident with syn, but Max Life has good marketing. Any 3.0 suggestions ? Thanks

I've run Max Life in my 5.7 Tahoe for the last 22,000 miles, currently has 174k on it. A shady mechanic told me a few years ago that my cam bearings were going and I needed a new engine(obviously a lie), that's when I started using high zinc oils. Still comes out coal black every time, but my dad maintains that truck with rather crappy OCI's, and it's still kickin'!

But like Max said, in the end oil is oil, especially for an N/A motor. The H6 isn't anywhere near as hard on oil as the GT's and XT's are, so you can just ignore all the oil brand banter on here from those guys :)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

As I've said before, my 05 spent the first 154,000 miles on cheap 5w-30 and Fram filters. The turbo lasted 142,000 miles.

Not bad when you read all the turbo failures at less mileage and using better oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived