LegacyGT.com

Transmission Issues? I need some insight here.

I've been trying to diagnose this for a while, but it's not something I can replicate easily, and I'm not even sure if it's one issue or multiple issues.

This is a '05LGT Wagon 5MT.

About 8 months ago I started to notice an odd "pop feeling" in the clutch pedal when I'd let it out. It would happen once, usually when there was a lot of torque being applied to the clutch from stand-still. My old apartment had speed bumps going up a hill, it would do it as I let the clutch out to pull up the hill after easing it over the speed bump.

A few months later, nearing 100k I got the timing belt and clutch replaced (I believe throwout bearing as well). I had thought it was a clutch issue (maybe a bad throwout bearing). This was not the case. After a break-in period it continued to occasionally "pop.

Now however I start to hear something new. Now, in first I hear a squeak as I apply throttle and let out on the clutch. At first it was just in first gear, but now I can sometimes get it to do it when the engine is under load. I thought it might be old engine mounts and one of the joints in my exhaust isn't super tight and it was just the engine rotating and stressing a joint. I got under the car and wiggled the exhaust pretty good, but it doesn't make any noises.

THEN, about 3 months ago, I started to hear the infamous "rocks in my transmission" sound. This only happens when the car's been sitting and I accelerate out of first (and sometimes into second depending on how much throttle I give it). It's almost as though I need to apply torque to get the bearings to seat.

The popping in my clutch pedal has gone away (for now, but that might just be the summer heat).

SANITY CHECK TIME: I am guessing the rocks in the transmission is a bad bearing, probably the transfer case. I thought the "pop feel" might have been a bad input shaft bearing on the transmission. I have no idea what the squeak is unless perhaps it is the exhaust, but in my tests I couldn't stress it in the right way.

Does anyone know anything I can do to try to help identify these issues?

Just FYI, once I drive for a few minutes the car seems fine (with the exception of the occasional squeak). These issues are gradually getting worse/more frequent, but I'd like to solve this before things are in worse shape.

ADDITIONAL INFO: I bought the car about 18 months ago, it had a second clutch in it, and for whatever reason (glazed flywheel perhaps), the clutch would stutter and chatter in 1st. I got used to giving it more throttle than usual which would usually keep that from happening. It's very possible that this shutter/stutter could have reduced the lifespan of bearings in the transmission.

My Spec 2+ clutch will make a squeal sound sometimes in 2st gear, its normal and is caused by the friction material, carbon/Kevlar.

Do you know which clutch is in the car ?

Do you have a SMFW or DMFW ?

You always replace the TOB when you replace the clutch.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The clutch that was installed was a Competition Clutch Stage 2 Street, that included a new steel flywheel which I assume is SMFW. All my work was performed at ECS up in Windsor Locks (they seem like good guys).

My worry about the squeal/squeak is that lately I've been able to get it to make the sound without engaging the clutch, but just applying load to the engine at low RPM. It doesn't steal at all when I accelerate hard though.

FWIW, if you want to limit the movement in the tranny and shifter, get a STI tranny mount, like $75.00 when you see the stock mount you'll understand the benefit of the STI mount. Its a pretty simple bolt in.

So your saying you can get the noise by rev'ing the engine in neutral ?

I wonder if the pilot bearing could be the issue ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW, if you want to limit the movement in the tranny and shifter, get a STI tranny mount, like $75.00 when you see the stock mount you'll understand the benefit of the STI mount. Its a pretty simple bolt in.

So your saying you can get the noise by rev'ing the engine in neutral ?

I wonder if the pilot bearing could be the issue ?

I'll look into the STI tranny mount.

I can't get the noise by reving in neutral, but I could get it to happen the other night in 3rd gear by "blipping the throttle" while I was driving down a back road (applying momentary torque at a low RPM). It's confusing because if I was accelerating to get onto the highway it won't make the noise while I row through the gears.

I fear it's something like the pilot bearing. [sigh]

Archived