LegacyGT.com

ANTIfreeZE... what to use? not anything i guess

I just found out there is a difference in antifreeze....

i just randomly poured every type of antifreeze i used to find into my car.... so what is the good one i should use> what colour and etc. :spin:car is 2005 JDM legacy,,, 3.0 AT B4 H6 engine... cant read anything on the car like instructions because its all in Japanese

subaru specific anti-freeze only. nothing else.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

subaru specific anti-freeze only. nothing else.

^ This

I just went round and round with this last week. Some people on here have used Peak Global Long Life since it's supposed to meet specs to protect the aluminium. I finally just decided on Subaru with the "conditioner" (read: leak stop). Few $$$ for peace of mind.

Dump whats in there, flush with water, and refill/burp the system.

^ This

I just went round and round with this last week. Some people on here have used Peak Global Long Life since it's supposed to meet specs to protect the aluminium. I finally just decided on Subaru with the "conditioner" (read: leak stop). Few $$$ for peace of mind.

Dump whats in there, flush with water, and refill/burp the system.

cant beleive i was filling it up with everything i had around :D anyways is there online shop for it? dont think they sell good stuff like this here

cant beleive i was filling it up with everything i had around :D anyways is there online shop for it? dont think they sell good stuff like this here

An auto parts store actually was selling it locally. It was the second most expensive next to Toyota. Even BMW AF is cheaper?!

Ended up getting it plus a thermostat from the dealer. Like $25 for the AF + $1.00 for a gallon of distilled water.

H6 don't need the conditioner unless the h6 had head gasket issues, which i don't think they ever have.

+1 on the Peaks Global. If you go peaks' website, find the product, you locate the nearest dealer. I picked up two gallons from local walmart for $15 per a gallon of concentrate vs the subaru $26 for 50/50 diluted super long life (factory coolant for 08+).

So the 09 models will have a chance of head gasket failure? If you use the wrong coolant.... I poured the Subaru coolant in my reservoir since it was low hopefully the previous owner had the blue stuff too....

So the 09 models will have a chance of head gasket failure? If you use the wrong coolant.... I poured the Subaru coolant in my reservoir since it was low hopefully the previous owner had the blue stuff too....

They fail for many reasons but leaving your coolant in too long is the typical culprit as it turns acidic and degrades the HGs over time, that and poor engineering on Subaru' behalf as they never solved the EJ series HG issues.

^^ +1

Bottom line: Doing a regular (every 60km) coolant flush is more important than the coolant you use. BUT while you're at it, go ahead and use the right stuff: non-phosphate and non-silicate anti-freeze like Peaks Global or Subaru Coolant, that way you don't have any build up and corrosion.

Archived