LegacyGT.com

Some advice on a build please?

• 2 months later...

Hello all! I'm fairly new to the forum and would first like to thank everyone in this community for all the great information and advice you provide to people like me who are newer to the technical aspects of these engines. This is the first build I've done with a boxer and also, the first build I've done with a factory turbo.

So to start, I bought my 2005 LGT about 6 months ago and fell in love with it immedietly. 90K and a new turbo off the lot. About a month afterwards on the way home I was run off the highway at about 65 mph and hit some pretty deep holes that apparently was the final blow to the engine and had catastrophic bearing failure. So I signed up and started absorbing advice on a new motor.

My new Stage 3 ej257 built by IAG Performance in Westminster Maryland got dropped in about a month ago. Along with all fuel system upgrades, a bigger Blouch turbo, all new exhaust sytem, and MANY other parts. It took some time to get everything back together. Specifically, the vacuum lines and boost lines. Had to search for,a while to,be a diagram,that showed them all in the correct layout.

So upon loading the base map supplied by IAG and initial startup I had nothing.... No turn over at all. After a day of diagnosing electrical connections it turned out to be one of the main wiring harness grounds by the TGV on the driver side. One was hiding under my new fuel lines. Once that was remedied, had a turn over but, no start. So, checked the plugs first since I could hear the fuel pump priming at the "on" position. Had good spark with new coils, wires, and plasma coils. In the process I noticed my oil pressure switch was leaking oil around the plastic insert. ($6.50 at advanced auto) once replaced I figured it would fix my problem since that particular malfunction will stop power relay to the fuel pump. Still no start. Upon closer inspection of the fuel lines I noticed the didn't feel like they were any stiffer with the key in the "on" position than they were with it not attempting a start for hours. Out came the fuel pump. Finally noticed that I didn't remove the plastic spacer on the outlet of the factory fuel pump and install it on the new high pressure one so, the o-ring was not being pressed into the chamber to seal it and keep pressure. Also, I was generous with the grease they send for the o-rings so to be sure they seated well. Voila!

Engine started right up and once the ECU corrected itself with air/fuel ratios it idled out to perfection and sounds wonderful!. Off to drive the 50 miles and change to Royal Purple break in oil.

The reason I posted this is because besides the ones that are mentioned, I ran into a few hiccups during the installation that weren't really noteworthy. Things like hoses not fitting where they used to because of,new parts or not having the correct gasket. I hope that the issues I did,mention can be helpful to someone else! Would like to tomention that before I fixed the grounding issue, the odometer would read "ER HC" and would cut power to my Accessport when the key was turned to the "on" position. I know there are numerous causes for this but, if you have taken out the engine for any reason I would check the grounds first. Thanks for reading guys and gals! Wish me luck on the tune! Have a good one and happy building!

Also, if anyone would like to see pictures, pm me your email. Unfortu,etly I'm on my phone and is just kind of a pain to do the work to post them here. Thanks again!

I'm not sure if threads are able to be,combined but, I actually started a new,thread since t hi s build has been,completed. I'll post a full parts list soon and if anyone would like any specific pictures, let me know.I took tons. Just for,reference when it was all said and done I had right around $10k in the motor. Good parts get expensive quick! Thanks got,the advice on the turbo although i,decided on a Blouch dominator 3.0xt-r.

Soooooo....get everything ready on the dyno and wuddaya know...... Started knocking like crazy. Thanks IAG for the faulty long block. En route to IAG now to be diagnosed. More info to come on whether I have to put any argument at all into them building me another block. Had Ptuning in Manassas, VA doing the tune for me. They were sure to let IAG know that everything was correct and torqued to spec before they cut me lose with them. Thanks guys! Lol.

I'm not sure if threads are able to be,combined but, I actually started a new,thread since t hi s build has been,completed. I'll post a full parts list soon and if anyone would like any specific pictures, let me know.I took tons. Just for,reference when it was all said and done I had right around $10k in the motor. Good parts get expensive quick! Thanks got,the advice on the turbo although i,decided on a Blouch dominator 3.0xt-r.

merged threads and closed the other one.

can you post pics and work done? This is a learning section, otherwise, it'll be moved to the 4th gen general section.

Soooooo....get everything ready on the dyno and wuddaya know...... Started knocking like crazy. Thanks IAG for the faulty long block. En route to IAG now to be diagnosed. More info to come on whether I have to put any argument at all into them building me another block. Had Ptuning in Manassas, VA doing the tune for me. They were sure to let IAG know that everything was correct and torqued to spec before they cut me lose with them. Thanks guys! Lol.

Did a vacuum line fall off ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What Octane gas did you put in it?

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

400 HP pump gas builds don't live very long in a 4 cyl turbo engine.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Stephen,

I'm going to do my best to maintain professional composure with this response, as I'm honestly baffled that you would post this publicly without any diagnostics being performed, and absolutely zero proof whatsoever that you were sold a "faulty" longblock.

As with every customer, I/we appreciate your business, and up until this point, it has been a pleasure working with you. With that being said, to infer publicly that we sold you a bad engine is both premature and irresponsible.

While you are running our Stage 2 shortblock, and we indeed performed long-block assembly to the point of "timed" here in house, the engine was delivered to you, where you took over the remainder of the installs, dropped the engine in the car, etc. As we have not even looked at the car at this point, we have absolutely no idea the cause of the failure.

A variety of additional accessories and components were installed in your possession, as well as performing your own engine install. Based on the numerous phone calls made to our technicians and support team over the past several weeks, you experienced quite a number of struggles during your install, which we will course need to also check over in order to source the root cause of the potential failure.

Is there a build quality issue? No one knows at this point, because it hasn't been diagnosed.

Is there an installer error? No one knows at this point, because it hasn't been diagnosed.

We stand behind our work, and if there is a workmanship issue that caused your failure, we are here for you. We employ some of the most talented builders and machinists in the country here, and while they are absolutely fantastic at what they do, I will concede that there is a POSSIBILITY that there is an issue related to our workmanship that caused the engine to fail. There are also numerous other possibilities in this situation, all of which we haven't even had a chance to check out as of yet.

We don't frequent the Legacy GT forums too often these days, so this may be my only response, and I certainly have no intention of turning this in to a public pissing match, but I think it's fair to say that you might consider giving us a chance to at least check the car out before posting condescendingly "thanking" us for selling you a broken engine, rather than simply communicating with us directly until we figure out the root cause of this failure.

We will report to you the second that we have found the problem, and if it's our fault, we will absolutely stand behind our work, because we care about our customers, our quality, and our reputation. With that in mind, we still have damaged components in our possession from your removal of the engine that would certainly imply that there is a POSSIBILITY that there could have been an installer error. My $.02. Let's please keep this civil, and hang tight until we actually have a chance to figure out what happened.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Regards,

Rick

IAG Performance

Since I obviously take our reputation to heart, and this worked me up this afternoon, I kept a technician after hours tonight to start performing a few simple diagnostics...

We immediately realized that the sound did not seem to be internal engine noise. Upon further inspection, we found that the flexplate/flywheel bolts were left completely loose. If not for the torque converter, they would have literally fallen out.

We will further diagnose when we are back in the office on Monday... But as I said in my previous post, probably not a great idea to run to the forums and bash a shop who is trying to help you.

Rick

Situations like this should remain out of the public eye, but I do applaud your response IAG.

I recognize that the customer may experience some built up anticipation to have an amazing machine that they can enjoy only to have it seemingly "fall apart" after all is supposedly done from their install.

I get the feeling... but that did seem to take an emotional response to a situation that should have been handled over phone call or in person.

I hope this is civilly resolved and both parties get the satisfaction they both seek. Good luck to all parties involved.

To clarify a little on my part. You're absolutely right. And I will say I defended you to a t when ***** started saying it was probably a build error. I watched your guys bud this block and I saw them take,their time and check, recheck, and then check everything again. Like I said it's very easy when your someone like me who has invested so much time and money into a project like this and all of the sudden you have people preaching "rod knock" to you left and right. I understand how damaging somethi,g like this can be in a seemingly "innocent" environment that in actuality reaches out to a vast community spread across an entire nation let alone people who live in the immediate area of your business who maybe affected by a post such as the one I put up. You guys have been nothing but helpful and understanding to the fact that this is something very new to,me. So really, I'm sorry that I jumped to the conclusion that it was a problem with the work you did. Nothing has been diagnosed. You guys know I have a lot going on right now with our newborn, hence the time constraints with tuning, and as a consumer, it's easynot to,think about how damaging things Like this can be. To everyone in this community, I'm sorry I let my stress get the best of me and I'd like to point out that my first contact with IAG ever included a conversation that informed me of an upgrade that would have cost me another $400 but, was given at no chargebecause the particular part I wanted was not currently in stock and they wanted to keep the promise they had made to deliver by a certain time. Everyone at IAG including people that I've never even had personal face to face contact with have been nothing but informative and helpful throughout the process of this build. I have,no idea what caused this. The flywheel bolts should have been torqued to spec as I was told everything seemed to be. Apparently it got overlooked. Also, I'd like to clarify that the only reason it was taken to be tuned elsewhere was due to a current situation with time constraints on IAG's ( from what I've heard) amazing tuner.

To IAG, I apologize for ever thinking it was ok to jump to an immediate conclusion that this was your fault. I shouldn't have, first off, used any names of reputable organizations in the post. Also, as you're aware, I have a newborn son and have had no time to spend on this build. I paid you to assemble the motor and heads to timed because i,didn't trust that I would, for one, be able to do it properly at all and for two, be able to co,plete it anywhere near as quickly as your mechanics did.

Just wanted to elaborate a little and not leave it seeming like I really didn't care with that last post. You guys have done an awesome job so far which I have been sure to tell you in every email and phone call ive made. Just don't think that I was out to unload on your name. I spent a little over 13 hours in Manassas that day due to everything that was going on and had nothing to do but stir in everything I was told while in the process of trying to find a way back home without having to make my freshly out of surgery fiance' load up our q4 week old son and drive and hour or more to pick me up. There was more than my fill of stressful situations going on that day and I'm sorry you caught the blunt end of my frustration. Thank you for agreeing to look at the car to diagnose what exactly is going on and this situation will be kept to interaction between your organization and I from here on out. Thank you.

Archived