LegacyGT.com

Dead Battery

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check this out guys don't know if this any of your problems...

https://instagram.com/p/81wD7Kkshe/

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Same here. I don't have any GPS's in the car, or other accessories plugged in. I guess you could count a USB flash drive, but I'm fairly certain that is shut off when the car is off. Even if it isn't, numerous others on this thread leave a flash drive in their USB drives and haven't noted their battery being drained. :/

Thank you for the input, though! Any help to figure this out is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your dome light can most certainly kill your car battery in a day , let a lone 36 hours. Car batteries have very little reserve capacity. They can provide large CCA but not long term current.

My friend has a 2 year old fit and she killed that battery within 12 hours because she left the light on

When I called my salesman to get advice on how to handle the situation, he told me that there's no way the dome light should have drained the battery that quickly IF that was the case. He went on to tell me that he accidentally left his dome light on for about 24 hours over the weekend, and the car still started up "as normal". He has a 2015 Legacy 2.5i Limited - so essentially the same car.

Trust me - I hope that WAS the case, because it's an easy explanation... But everyone is saying there's no way the battery was drained that quickly from a dome light. (And I may be using the wrong terminology - "map light", "dome light", whatever the smaller ones in the front by the sunglasses holder that everyone is referring to).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ tell him in a polite way to do some research. Car batteries have many plates with a LARGE surface area to provide monster CCA to get the car started even in the winter time. As a result of having many plates, they are very thin and have no reserve to las for hours

BTW I meant dome light in my last post

Reserve capacity refers to a battery's ability to provide 25 amps before the voltage falls below 10.5V

From Optima's website

In the case of a battery like our Group D27F YELLOWTOP® the reserve capacity is 140 minutes. For a much smaller battery, like our Group D51 YELLOWTOP, the reserve capacity is just 66 minutes. Keep in mind, both of these batteries are designed for deep-cycle use, while batteries like our REDTOP® line are not designed or warrantied in deep-cycle applications. What the reserve capacity tells us about these two batteries is that the D27F has a lot more energy in it than the D51. While it may seem like a natural decision to simply buy the battery with more reserve capacity, it isn't always that easy. The D27F is more expensive and significantly larger in every regard (length, width, height, weight) than the D51 and may not fit in the space available. It does help illustrate how much more energy is available in a larger battery and also offers a consumer a point of comparison as they look at replacing their current battery or compare it to other brands.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/experience/power-source/battery-reserve-capacity/#sthash.pV4zPXzy.dpuf

Per the 2015/16 Legacy Owners Manual, the map lights and the dome light are each rated at 8 watts, which would be 2/3 amp (each) at 12 volts. The battery fitted with the 2.5 engine is rated at 48 amp-hours capacity. As a first approximation, if one such light is left on continuously it should take about 72 hours to deplete a fully-charged battery. I would cut that time estimate in half as a practical maximum, to allow for less-than-perfect charge and to reserve some capacity for starting the engine. If all three lights were somehow left on, the time to depletion would be reduced to 24 and 12 hours respectively.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Per the 2015/16 Legacy Owners Manual, the map lights and the dome light are each rated at 8 watts, which would be 2/3 amp (each) at 12 volts. The battery fitted with the 2.5 engine is rated at 48 amp-hours capacity. As a first approximation, if one such light is left on continuously it should take about 72 hours to deplete a fully-charged battery. I would cut that time estimate in half as a practical maximum, to allow for less-than-perfect charge and to reserve some capacity for starting the engine. If all three lights were somehow left on, the time to depletion would be reduced to 24 and 12 hours respectively.

Good info.. Your math is correct.

If the bulbs in the map/dome lights are rated at 8W, that equals 0.667A using the following equation: I(A)=P(W)/V(V)

With that known (that there is a 0.667A draw from one of the lights), then the Battery Life (assuming this is the only draw) of a 48 Ampere Hour battery with a current draw of .667A means that it would take 71.96 hours to deplete it completely. Battery Life = Ampere Hours / Current (Ampere)

So with those calculations, there's no way that a bulb of that size and current draw should drain a battery "overnight", or even in 36 hours (it was actually closer to about 34 hours, if you want to get specific). The car was driven for a good 30 minutes before parked in my garage, and I physically watched the exterior lights shut off as I entered my house - so no other lights were left on.

This, again, is assuming that a dome light was even left on... Which I can't say for sure. No lights came on when my car was jumped, but I'm not sure if the type of switch used by them is the type that clearly has an "On/Off" type of switch (think of a clickable ball-point pen), or the type where you can press it when it's off and it won't turn on once it has power (think of pressing a button on your keyboard when your computer is turned off). Clear as mud, right?

I just heard back from the dealership. Everything passed this morning's round of testing again, so they're saying they can't do anything to help me. Alternator, starter and battery all tested perfectly, so they have no idea how the battery could have drained so quickly, and they won't replace the battery since it's testing fine.

They offered to keep it for a few more days, and would test it again on Monday, but I told them that I didn't just want my brand new car sitting there for a few more days... I could let it sit in my garage for a few days, if they're suggesting that's the only test they can do.... -_- I'll be picking it up this evening (they're going to test it one more time this afternoon). Wish me luck!

I've had good luck with Interstate in the past... Been a while since I've had to pay for a new battery. I may wait and see if it happens again, and then bypass my service department next time and buy my own battery -- I'll contact SoA directly, as someone else did earlier in this thread.

Not sure if it's me or a intermittent problem with the timer circuit that turns off the lights when you shut down the car. About three times in the last couple of weeks I have gone out in my garage to fine the headlights, tail lights and interior light on. Once the headlight switch was on the headlight mode and the other two times it was in the auto position. The only change I did was installing the LED low beam lights from Xeon a couple of months ago. Another very unlikely thing is I started using a USB music thumb drive.

Anyway before I call the dealer about this I want to see if there is some pattern since intermittent problems are a pain to troubleshoot. I do know that if you turn off the car ( I have a keyless FOB ) with out putting the car in park everything stays on but the car lets you know about that.

Anyway I wonder if something like the above is why folks are having dead batteries.

I never use the "Auto" feature and turn my lights on and off manually.

Having all of those lights on after you turn the car off can not be good for the battery.

If one still wanted to leave it set to Auto, you can quickly shut off all the exterior and interior lights by locking the car twice.

Locking it via the fob or door handle just once leaves the lights all on (until the set timeout setting). Locking it a second shuts all of them off.

I received a phone call early this morning and they said they ran all the normal tests last night and found all to be working as normal. They said they are running all the same tests this morning and if all is a go, then I can pick it up at Noon.

I just don't get it. I know the battery will die again... I guess if it happens 3 or more times, I can claim Lemon Law. I LOVE my Legacy and this bums me out.

I'm late to the party, but in at least one case the light switch in the door have been the culprit - the downward lamps in the door didn't turn off when the door closed.

Of course - there are a large number of items in the car that draws current and if one unit is bad then it can drain the battery quickly.

453747.png

Archived