LegacyGT.com

Banjo Bolt

Does a banjo bolt have to be in a certain position to allow oil to pass? Just had my engine pulled to double check a recent rebuild and now the turbo is making noises and is smoking. It wasn't before we pulled the engine. Seems as though it is being lubricated enough.

No, the inside of the fitting has a cavity that allows oil to flow, notice the shape of the fitting.

Have you removed both banjo filters ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah, all filters are out. Thats what I thought, but I'm just trying to narrow down the problem. My mechanic said he used a different cap for an oil passage. I wonder if it was supposed to be a banjo and he used a regular bolt? I'm getting sick of this haha

Yeah, all filters are out. Thats what I thought, but I'm just trying to narrow down the problem. My mechanic said he used a different cap for an oil passage. I wonder if it was supposed to be a banjo and he used a regular bolt? I'm getting sick of this haha

If you suspect that a banjo bolt was accidentally replaced with a regular bolt DON;T DRIVE IT!!! These turbos can be damaged very easily, and oil starvation is number one on that list. If the turbo is smoking, it may be some spilled oil/coolant burning off the hot side, or the up-pipe. What does the noise sound like, maybe its something not tightened down properly? (just trying to be optimistic :) )

I would find out exactly what "different cap" your mechanic used, and where he used it. The oil feed systems on these cars (particularly to the turbo) are very precisely designed, and if they're not assembled properly it usually leads to AVCS and turbo problems. I wouldn;t drive it until you know everything is receiving the fluid it needs...

p.s.- It's very easy to tell if the right banjo bolts were used, so long as you can get a good way of seeing them. It has a 17mm head, and a ~5mm in diameter raised dimple in the center, to signify it's a union bolt. Location of some of them varies by model year, though.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

There are a number of pictures on here of the banjo bolts. you may find one in my click here link in my sig.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived