LegacyGT.com

Am I Crazy

Stig Family

So long story short....

I have an 08 DBM Legacy GT that just hit 50k on the odometer. My car is bone stock, and have never had anything done to it.

We just had our third kid and we have the Odyssey mini van as the family car and my car is just to drive to work and a few other activities.

I was playing around reading Jalopnik when they were talking about the BMW 335i. I had never really looked at BMW cars before but after reading the article I started playing around to see what is out there.

So new the 2010-2012 335i with x-drive, were about $60k. But now just a few short years later I can pick up one for around $20k with 35k miles or so.

So for just a few grand out of pocket, since I own my LGT, I could get into a twin turbo V6 BMW with 300hp.

Ultimate Driving Machine or Ultimate Money Pit?

There are lots of them for sale, so lots to chose from. Right now there is one in Bellingham at Roger Jobs Porsche/Audi for under $20k and has been through their service center prior to being offered for sale.

So I think for the most part they have been taken care of with some exceptions.

The early twin turbo inline 6 in the 3 series uses the N54 engines. The initial batch of e92 suffers from oil cooling issues that was rectified in 2009. Cars would go into limp mode at the track. The N54 had a lot of HPFP failure issues (High Performance Fuel Pump). I have a friend who had that replaced under warranty. I suspect that's caused by poor fuel quality in the US which 'shatters' the crystal waffers in the piezo-electric injectors. Broken pieces of those could have disintegrated the HPFP. VW TDI engines also had HPFP failure issues.

Starting in 2010, the N54 was replaced by the N55. The N55 has proven to be problem free and is used across current BMW lineup - 2,3,4,5,6,7 and all the X series SUV. N54 is twin turbo and N55 is single turbo twin scroll. N55 also ditched the high tech and extremely expensive piezo injectors for the solenoid ones. Both engines have the same hp rating but the N55 has less lag and a little more torque.

If you have been eyeing a 335i, you owe it to yourself to go test-drive one. You will not regret it. Just stick with a 2010 or newer model.

I have enough drama for now.....

:whore: They can be fun cars and the inline 6 (not V6) are good engines just be sure to get the N55 not the N54 cars. I rode in a 135i with the n55 and it was a fun car to ride in. Unfortunately I didn't know the owner well enough to get to drive it but I can imagine it would be a blast of a car to drive.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

If you really want to go nuts and have a ton of fun get a 335i and buy the jb4 chip. Those cars run to 60 in well under 4 and can hit the quarter in low 12s. My buddy has one and omg that's scary fast. He'll play with mustang GT500s (until 100 mph)

They call it the poor man's M3 for a reason

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

So I went out and test drove a 2010 that is on a lot in Renton.

The car was not bad driving, but would never buy theirs. CarFax shows that for a 5 year old car it had only been owned by one actual person and bounced around to around six dealer lots. The listing kept showing things like "electrical system checked" ect..... How do you spell..... L E M O N. Guessing it was in a flood? Water damage?

The best part was that they tried to tell me that the report was "normal".

So I went out and test drove a 2010 that is on a lot in Renton.

The car was not bad driving, but would never buy theirs.

are you against adding a couple of parts and getting a tune done?

full retail price for all new dp and ic with tune is about 1800. will get you the power the 335 has.

not to say there arent other desirable attributes to owning the 335.

the legacy is my glove. your choice with a 335 is spot on but would you spend 2k to save 20k?

Yep, if I wanted a bmw 335 I'd buy a lgt and put 2k into it. Then I'll still have a lgt, not a bmw.

Then again, I wanted a Lotus, so I bought a wagon and 40k to make it handle better. then gave up and bot a miata that handles like the Lotus. And the wagon which accelerates like the Lotus. I'm still money ahead.

Yep, if I wanted a bmw 335 I'd buy a lgt and put 2k into it. Then I'll still have a lgt, not a bmw.

Then again, I wanted a Lotus, so I bought a wagon and 40k to make it handle better. then gave up and bot a miata that handles like the Lotus. And the wagon which accelerates like the Lotus. I'm still money ahead.

your common theme...you arent a very bright person are you?

want me to start from the beginning?

he primarily was hp shopping buying the name second.

do you understand it all now?

what is the saying about sarcasm being the lowest form of comedy?

you can delete all you want. you still lose.

the maintenance is questionable. the next major service is questionable. the reliability at this point? questionable.

bmw, lotus, mclarean. i would not trade my gt that ive had since new for something used and unknown just to have the name and a measly 30 more hp.

im not sure what the op is thinking nor you really.

why go to a car forum for support to buy a used car?? are people that codependent?

seriously...drop 2k into the gt. get the feel for 300+hp. see if you want the rest of the bmw experience.

the maintenance is questionable. the next major service is questionable. the reliability at this point? questionable.

bmw, lotus, mclarean. i would not trade my gt that ive had since new for something used and unknown just to have the name and a measly 30 more hp.

why go to a car forum for support to buy a used car?? are people that codependent?

seriously...drop 2k into the gt. get the feel for 300+hp. see if you want the rest of the bmw experience.

While I understand your point, the only real comparison for a 300hp gt would be the 335xi. Driving an awd car and a rwd car feel completely different imo. I honestly think that the op should hop into an lgt that is at the 335i power to see if its even the same feeling he's going for.

How's that hg problem going?

You have 20k. You could spend it on your lgt or you could buy a second car with a rep for great perf. Or you could buy a racecar and go racing for a year. Its all about choices. which oddly enough is what makes car forums work. ..allowing geographically disparate ppl to discuss the wisdom or fallacy of a particular choice. in the old days, this was known as hanging out at the garage, maybe you remember your grandpa talking about that?

Bmw vs lgt was a realistic choice when the cars were new (odd but in same price range yet no one buys lgt for prestige ). With op research, its still relevant.

I can use crayons and brite colors for you again....or was this brite enough?

You can drop $2k, $3K, or even $10K into a LGT to match or exceed the BMW 335i's power if it's all an academic numbers game. So tell me, how much would you put up to make the LGT 50-50 weight balance like a BMW without adding extra weight?

What about drivability as a DD? A highly modified 4 cylinder will be too high strung for a DD.

Like I have said, go test drive a BMW and make your decision from there.

I have enough drama for now.....

You can drop $2k, $3K, or even $10K into a LGT to match or exceed the BMW 335i's power if it's all an academic numbers game. So tell me, how much would you put up to make the LGT 50-50 weight balance like a BMW without adding extra weight?

What about drivability as a DD? A highly modified 4 cylinder will be too high strung for a DD.

Like I have said, go test drive a BMW and make your decision from there.

It'd only be relevant if the bmw came with stoptech brakes.

Archived