LegacyGT.com

Performance mods for the Legacy 2.5i?

But.. that is the goal of the OP. To increase acceleration. That's the entire point of this discussion!

Agreed on the poor traction part, however, the point remains. If you buy a 2.5i Legacy, and immediately feel that it's not got enough power, you should get a 3.6R instead. Its really as simple as that.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually his goal was to add performance parts he didn't mention acceleration. he alluded to adding more power...performance is subjective.

I throw awd into the mix because it is in mix. I believe in apples to apples comparison not just what is convenient for your argument.

Actually his goal was to add performance parts he didn't mention acceleration. he alluded to adding more power...performance is subjective.

I throw awd into the mix because it is in mix. I believe in apples to apples comparison not just what is convenient for your argument.

When the opening post contains sentences like this:

A cursory search on Google revealed that there is little to no hope for a turbo for my car... Needless to say, this is something i REALLY want to do just because my last car was a 99 Camry and was lacking power (lacking is a bit of an understatement).

Then the most optimal solution is probably this:

But when I read someone say "I just bought a 2.5i, but it's kind of slow, how do I get more power?" then I say, you don't get more power, so un-buy it, trade it in, etc. because you are destined for disappointment.

My wife has 2.0 liter non-turbo'd Impreza. She's perfectly happy with it. If she at some point wants to find a turbo for it, we'd trade it in for a WRX.

this must be the weekly "I bought a 2.5i and it's too slow" thread.

OP, the bottom line is, if you couldn't or didn't want to afford to buy a car with more power, one that could have been under warranty no less, you certainly cant afford to mod this one and get what you are probably looking for out of it.

I think it would be worth making a "I'm New FAQ" sticky and putting this thread in it.

We could also put in the other common ones like which intake/exhaust.

^^^ There would be only one posting in that thread. It would read:

"Use the search button, or try Google."

I was able to find information about a 4 point harness system and the brace in this very forum by using google. It wasn't hard at all.

Oh yeah...almost forgot...one must be willing to read a little (I am terrible at it).

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

this must be the weekly "I bought a 2.5i and it's too slow" thread.

OP, the bottom line is, if you couldn't or didn't want to afford to buy a car with more power, one that could have been under warranty no less, you certainly cant afford to mod this one and get what you are probably looking for out of it.

I want to mod to be able to make it mine. If there are performance mods, then yes, I'd look into them and purchase, install and enjoy accordingly. It's not about affordability of the car but the ABILITY to make it into something that can go just a bit faster and break convention, ya dig? [emoji59]

I want to mod to be able to make it mine. If there are performance mods, then yes, I'd look into them and purchase, install and enjoy accordingly. It's not about affordability of the car but the ABILITY to make it into something that can go just a bit faster and break convention, ya dig? [emoji59]

(Emphasis mine)

Well then, there's clearly one path available to you then: custom fabrication. You'd be breaking new ground, but it would most definitely be yours. Good luck.

(Emphasis mine)

Well then, there's clearly one path available to you then: custom fabrication. You'd be breaking new ground, but it would most definitely be yours. Good luck.

Thanks! I'll need all the luck I can get!I will post pics of my mods soon!

• 10 months later...

I originally bought the 2.5i Sport for my wife but ended up am the one driving it daily. While there are few disappointments, I still enjoy this car at other aspects. My most disappointment is power and I understand that there's no way I can do anything about it now if keeping the car. Please, by no mean of adding this as a street race but rather giving some of us an idea how slow it is. With all of the mods I have right now, my car was screaming and climbing to 80mph merging onto a hwy. There was a Honda Accord Sport from behind me did the same thing and as soon as my car hit 80mph his car just flew pass me. So, it is that slow on dry road.

Here are my mods and how I enjoy it, Whiteline rear sway bar, Eibach Springs (no rubbing and good with alignment), Continental Extreme Contact A/S 245/35/18, and Bridgestone Blizzak Winter Sport. I chose the A/S for my summer time because I drive a lot due to my job, so I need good treadwears and quietness. With these setups, the 2.5i handles much better while on/off exit ramps and small mountain roads. For winter time, I actually look forward for snowy days to drive and the car handles beautifully with the Blizzak.

So, it's a slow car but handles well and I can get 27mpg out of its fulltime AWD. I don't believe there are other cars can do good MPG with AWD. My next mods are my headlamps, then a nice set of rotors and pads.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

^^^ just a suggestion. You may want to swap for 3.6r/2.5gt calipers and rotors. It is a "cheap" bigger brake option but you will need 17" wheels to clear.

I wont make a world of difference on the street, but it would be less prone to fade/heat.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

With all of the mods I have right now, my car was screaming and climbing to 80mph merging onto a hwy. There was a Honda Accord Sport from behind me did the same thing and as soon as my car hit 80mph his car just flew pass me. So, it is that slow on dry road.

lol I have been blocked passing a couple times on the highway in my 2.5i. Once by an Accord and another time by a full size again SUV. It is better than my Prizm I had before, I got blocked in that a bunch of times and most of them I am not sure the other driver realized they were blocking me.

The Accord Sport only comes in 4 cylinders I believe. I have an Accord Touring for the wife so I kinda did a little research, unless I missed something.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You are correct...I was reading a review and it mentioned a v6 was optional I assumed it was optional for the sport model. But the 2.4 does 0-60 in 7 sec pretty good, and probably 2 sec faster than the legacy.

I may have mentioned this before.

the 2.5i 6mt hits the rev limiter at 59mph in second gear. if it were geared just a smidge taller, the 0-60 time would be acceptable. the 1/4 mile would still be sad.

I may have mentioned this before.

the 2.5i 6mt hits the rev limiter at 59mph in second gear. if it were geared just a smidge taller, the 0-60 time would be acceptable. the 1/4 mile would still be sad.

I would bet an xrt tune could help bump that Rev limiter a bit...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The 10-12 2.5i 6MT had a taller 4.11:1 gear ratio vs the 13/14 4.44 iirc. So mine will do 60 in 2nd. The EJ motor starts to run out of steam at 6000rpm so it's not advisable to not run it to the rev line/rev limiter, not sure about the FB.

I have a 2.5i legacy like yourself and have developed a new found relantionship since its my first time owning a Subaru. It may not be a WRX or an STi, but I love it nonetheless. If anything I would trade it in down the road but for now, cosmetic all the way! O and exhaust!

Archived