LegacyGT.com

downpipe heat confusion

Personally, I would not wrap the catalyst.

It's true that catalysts work best when they're hot, but they get plenty hot from driving alone. Too much heat has the potential of breaking the converter up over time.

In the long term, wrapping your exhaust shortens it's lifespan.

Do some more research across other forums and make an informed decision based upon all of your sources. There is no one source of truth on the internet.

I think my best bet is just to have the DP removed and wrapped

Get a friend to help you, as its much easier. Also get the stainless tie wraps. Keep in mind which way air flows over the DP...so start wrapping from the exhaust end, not turbo end.

The Titanium DEI wrap is more expensive, however, you don't have to soak it first. The helper holds the DP while you pull the wrap very tight.

• 2 weeks later...
they wrapped the catted portion, since it is close to things that can be damaged from radiating heat. shop said the cats should be rated for 800 degrees or so, which is how much heat would be generated and kept in by the wrap. i have a CNT catted 5EAT downpipe, hope he cat holds up...

I suspect the CV boot gets torn more so from the down pipe removal and not so much from the heat. I have never seen the boot melted. Granted the extra heat probably doesnt help the lifespan of rubber. But hitting the DP on the CV boot will surely do more damage than anything.

Ive had my DP wrapped for 2 years now and the CAT is still fine. Im more worried about corrosion than the cat degrading.

i also had my stock uppipe replaced with a grimmspeed heat-coated flex unit. nice piece of pipe (lol) but i am concerned the heat radiating from that will cause issues too. shop said they didn't want to wrap that because it can be a fire hazard in the event of a fluid leak. is the heat coating from grimmspeed enough?

Archived