LegacyGT.com

Front brake job

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didnt plan on using the impact for the brakes, but (as this is the first time im ever owning and impact gun) it makes taking the wheels on and off SO much faster :) Well worth the money, new Craftsman C3 1/2in is GREAT.

Tool and socket wise im good, and have a new impact for the wheel lugs. Is there really a need for a torque wrench for the lugs? I just usually go as tight as possible. Cant I just use the old pad instead of wood to compress the pistons with the C clamp? Also cant I just pull the top bolts so that the caliper hangs down like a clam shell? I was talking about bleeding for the future. Also im fine with spending $15 on a torque wrench, its more of a time and availability problem at this moment.

When I do "as tight as possible" its well north of 250 ftlbs...the lug nuts should be 85-90 ftlbs. Use a torque wrench.

Didnt plan on using the impact for the brakes, but (as this is the first time im ever owning and impact gun) it makes taking the wheels on and off SO much faster :) Well worth the money, new Craftsman C3 1/2in is GREAT.

Don't be a monkey. Get a set of Torque bars - $55 from HF. I use them on the race car all the time. We put the 90lb bar on the impact gun and leave it on all weekend. Wheel nutz go on/off like cake.

Brake caliper torque specs are here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/front-caliper-bolt-torque-specs-186205.html

Caliper to bracket - 19.9 ft-lbs

Bracket to spindle - 88.5 ft-lb

Banjo bolt for brake line to caliper - 13 ft-lb

I plan on it. Anywhere (not just the brakes but on the whole car) that I specifically shouldnt used the impact gun?

Look up the saga that is "Hicksta". He was legendary for busting nuts/bolts. Leading to the concept "to Hicksta" whereby using a tool to over-tighten a part and shearing off the nut or bolt. In particular, doing it to the one part that was either expensive and/or difficult to replace. That's what a 1/2inch impact gun will do for you.

Okay, will keep that in mind. I get there are certain things I shouldn't tighten using the impact, but anything I should not loosen?

You're like a redneck with a hammer with that gun. PB Blaster will make it easier to get things apart. The impact gun will make it easier to get things apart. PB Blaster has the added benefit of not shearing bolts in the process.

Note the torque numbers for the caliper to bracket are 20lbs, not 300lbs.

There will be times when your new impact is not enough, too. Crank pulley bolt, and some other fun stuff.

Where are you located?

Just come over and I'll hold a brake job 101 class.

You just supply pizza/beer.

Okay, will keep that in mind. I get there are certain things I shouldn't tighten using the impact, but anything I should not loosen?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Where are you located?

Just come over and I'll hold a brake job 101 class.

You just supply pizza/beer.

Im a bit across in the country haha. NJ. I know the calipers should not be that tight and to do it by hand. I was not aware I could do damage when taking something off as well, which is why I asked.

Don't remove the caliper from the car to paint them. IMO bleeding the brakes is to much work, for just painting.

A wire brush is fine, nobody looks that closely at the calipers anyways. Don't over think this, its not a show car.

Brakes are easy just take your time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Don't remove the caliper from the car to paint them. IMO bleeding the brakes is to much work, for just painting.

A wire brush is fine, nobody looks that closely at the calipers anyways. Don't over think this, its not a show car.

Brakes are easy just take your time.

He should be bleeding them for his upcoming brake change anyways...

When you get home price out rebuilt calipers. Before you replace them make sure you can break the rear bleeders loose, just to make sure it's easy to bleed them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Don't be a monkey. Get a set of Torque bars - $55 from HF. I use them on the race car all the time. We put the 90lb bar on the impact gun and leave it on all weekend. Wheel nutz go on/off like cake.

Brake caliper torque specs are here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/front-caliper-bolt-torque-specs-186205.html

Originally Posted by Windy Road View Post

Caliper to bracket - 19.9 ft-lbs

Bracket to spindle - 88.5 ft-lb

Banjo bolt for brake line to caliper - 13 ft-lb

Just want to point out that the caliper bracket to knuckle should be 80 Nm (59 ft-lbs). Seems to be a typo possibly in some of the service manuals.

I've never torqued those bolts, some of us who do this type work for a living understand tight enough.

If your not sure what your doing...just remember these are your brakes we're talking about.

When you get home price out rebuilt calipers. Before you replace them make sure you can break the rear bleeders loose, just to make sure it's easy to bleed them.

Will do this, are these correct? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=142&partnum=14147042&a=www.google.com%2BSearch%2Bfor%2BCENTRIC%2B14147042&blanktemplate=true

Also till I get them, is it safe to drive around?

I'd say yea, you can drive it, it shouldn't be any worse then before. Its not the best thing to do but in your situation it might be do able.

You got me thinking about my wagon, the brakes have been on there over 60,000 miles.

Yea right now that car has almost 90k miles on it, bought it at 84k. As far as I know, these are the original calipers. Does anybody know if there is an upgraded caliper that wont cost me 2 grand like the stop techs but would only be a bit more than the stock cost?

Have you considered getting a pair of OE calipers from a salvage yard (locally or via Ebay)? I bought a front and right LGT caliper off Ebay for $60 shipped each, and they were in excellent shape. Minimal mileage and never saw salt.

If you are somewhere near me, I'd sell them to you. I bought them with the intention of powdercoating, but I'll probably never get around to it. Just an option.

Archived