LegacyGT.com

Are my head gaskets finally going? (ej255)

So the other day I left class to notice a 4 inch diameter puddle of oil had formed under the wagon after roughly ~7 hour period. Now, I've has a consistent oil leak for the last few months which I believed to be the oil cooler. Plus it was only a few drops overnight, not a puddle. I also get an atrocious hot oil smell though the vents when the motor warms up and I'm siting at a light. Motul smells disgusting when it heats up....

So, I went home and inspected, I thought maybe valve cover gasket since my leak appears to be coming form the passenger side (i.e.-uppipe side). And when I get under my hood I noticed something terrible: The entire passenger side of my block, and the passenger head as well, are covered in a light coating of oil and the dirt that follows with it. :spin: Its much more concentrated towards the rear of the block/head, and appears to be dripping down the back and onto the subframe by the up pipe. This coating wasn't there a month ago when I replaced my PCV due to what I though was a cracked PCV hose letting oil out....

Is there anything up there that would cause a major leak, besides a head gasket? I'm reluctant to consider that because I have no other signs yet, aside from losing a ton of oil(presumably from that leak).

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

sounds kinda like mine, but my oil spots on the ground aren't as much. i just replaced my turbo, so i plan to clean the engine and run it to see where the leaks are coming from before I decide what to do.

how many miles? i'm at 267k

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

how many miles? i'm at 267k

Holy crap! I'm at 196k :) Just replaced my turbo as well.

My timing belt service is coming up, and I'd really hate to do all that work and find out I need to tear down the block 15k later... I just find it weird that a head gasket would be leaking from the top... :confused: But I've eliminated almost every other variable.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

i'm not sure where mine is coming from. you could send an oil sample to blackstone to have them check....but i've been told that is not accurate.

i'm not loosing coolant and not losing that much oil either. i kinda feel like part of my problem is related to a loose clamp on the turbo oil drain line.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Shall do! I hear there's a breather that could go bad on the top of the block, near its center, but logic tells me that would leak down both sides.... We shall see what happens.

not sure if it helps but here are some common headgasket leak symptoms:

irregular coolant level fluctuations (reservoir tank)

bubbles in coolant reservoir tank

irregular operating temperature, temperature spikes

smoke from exhaust

oil in coolant

• 1 year later...

Archived