LegacyGT.com

CR has 05-06 Leg turbo as used car to avoid

but their reliabilty ratings don't go back that far. What is your take on this? I regret selling my 05 at 90k and I'm looking at an 06 with 70k at a dealer. Figuring I might want a warranty. What should I be looking at, besides the clutch? My 05 had a throttle body issue that cost me over $700. That is all I recall being any problem. I only drive about 10k annually; as I think timing belt change is at 100k, I'm good there for a few years. I'll see if my local dealer can access service records.

Hi,

Based on all the OBXTs, FXTs, and LGTs I see online w/engine issues, I'd guess that's the reason for CR's rating. These engines - EJ255 and EJ257 - are not that reliable. Part of that is due to turbos going bad and dumping metal into the engine, clogged oil feed lines, and poor maintenance, but the ringlands aren't the best on the stock pistons. Also, the stock tune doesn't do it any favors.

Plz describe this: " throttle body issue"

That's a new one.

Td

Re throttle body issue: I was driving when my car became unresponsive to the gas pedal. It did not stall it just did nothing when I pressed on the pedal. After turning it off and on several times it became normal. I took it to my mechanic and he eventually replaced the unit that includes the sensor for the throttle. This was a used unit. I dont recall the exact names of the parts, but it involves the drive by wire and the electronic sensors. The used unit was not cheap.

I think when a turbo goes, it will take the short block or the whole engine in general.

Funny thing, my 05 had a new short block at 46,000 miles before I bought it. It ran good while I owned it.

I bet CR lists it as a used car to avoid for a few reasons..

1) The majority of car owner have the "civic mentality". AKA- Change the oil every 3-5000mi depending how lazy you're feeling, check tire pressure once a year, and rack up the miles. They don't periodically check their oil, look under the car for leaks, and get involved in their car's maintenance schedules. These owners drive their poor leggy for 15k before they notice a bad head gasket or that their idle is sitting at 500rpm for some odd reason, and simply think to themselves "meh, it still runs". Obviously this doesn't end well, and if it does, it ends with an unassuming first time Subaru owner with a pile-o-shit to deal with. Then the current/new owner proceeds to the interwebz to vent their frustration about how terrible their vehicle is because it isn't as reliable as their '95 Accord.

2) Let's face it, most of the LGT's and OBXT's are now old enough and high enough in mileage they they're becoming quite cheap. Hell, I could afford one, and I'm a part time working college student. This makes our precious AWD boost machines available to the stereotypical "ricerboy" market, and we all know what happens after that: chopped springs, "stage 2" with a stock DP that has a cat knocked out, cheap e-bay reman turbos, plastidipping things that shouldn't be plastidipped, mystery back alley shop short block replacements...

Then, when ricerboy graduates college he gets to sell his LGT in stock "untouched form", and buy himself a super duper cool STI. Meanwhile, one of us gets his car, and runs into all types of down the road issues.

3)Let's face it, grammy doesn't go out looking for a sweet new Legacy GT, she wants the new outback with eyesight and a CVT because "its not all jerky". The people that bought these cars (usually) knew why they wanted them, and that's to have fun in a boosted AWD sedan/wagon. The inherent market customer of turbocharged vehicles is going to be the type to hit redline more, and lay into it on those tight twisty roads.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I have to agree with CR just from a generic giving advice to the average person perspective that they have to use. Normal "civic mentality", as MTBwrench says, people should avoid them. If you understand the possible issues and know what you might be getting into then go for it. As far as the it'll be fine if you take care of it and keep up on the maintenance mindset.....I have to somewhat disagree. The valve covers will leak, the passengers front CV boot will crack, the crank pulley stands a pretty good chance of failing spectacularly, wheel bearings have a high failure rate, stock turbo is generally considered to have poor longevity vs most oem turbos, none of these are regular maintenance items.

I would agree with CR. You'll likely spend as much fixing the car as buying it. I couldn't recommend this car to anyone but an enthusiast.

That being said, I haven't had any major mechanical issues arise other than clutch replacements (twice in past 40k...). My turbo is still good and I am at 139k. My last turbo inspection at 137k or so was favorable.

I must be one of the lucky ones. 168K and no turbo issues so far. The original clutch lasted 140k. Yes, I had a couple wheel bearings that needed replacing and the intake manifold gasket developed a leak. One CV boot split open and needed replacing. But beyond the normal tires/brakes/bulbs/oil, its been pretty much bullet proof. I've got a few minor things to fix (endlinks, a couple bushings, undercover tray) but nothing major.

Maybe I should look into replacing a few things like the turbo and pulley (never heard of problems with that) while I'm still rolling. I plan on keeping it a few more years. I would hate to have a major failure (turbo detonating motor) be the final straw to force me into a new ride.

The 07-09s were improved, mainly because 05-06 issues were fixed. The main problem was the banjo bolt/filter clogging the oil line to the turbo in the 05-06s, leading to catastrophic engine failure when the turbo eventually grenaded from oil starvation. The other issue was the uppipe in those has a cat, which can *also* go bad and then take out the engine block if it breaks apart.

The 07s-09s aren't bad at all if they were well taken care of with routine oil changes, and stuck to the maintenance schedule. I believe they also have a different turbocharger model, but might be mistaken about that last part. Getting off the stock engine mapping/tune also helps with reliability, as it runs rich and apparently can burn out valves over time.

Archived