LegacyGT.com

05 outback xt engine build

Bought the car with a blown motor and rebuilding the engine.

Parts:

ENGINE:

ej255 short block bored 1 size over to match pistons

new sti nitrided crank

Manley h beam rods

wiseco 99.75 pistons

stock head gaskets

King XPG bearings

HEADS:

Ej255 stock heads with new valve seals

TURBO/COOLER:

Have a vf48 right now - looking for either a vf23 or 20g.

Racer X FMIC Intercooler

TOP END:

Phelonic Spacers, TGV deletes, center entrance manifold, stock modded injectors (were flowed to ~900cc), silicone inlet.

EXHAUST:

CNT catted downpipe. Still looking for a quiet-ish exhaust that wont wake up the baby or attract any unwanted attention. I dont need to set off car alarms.

In response to deleted post - I am going to be using King xpg bearings - even though I have read some reports that specifically say not to use leaded bearings with the new nitrided crank.

I'm going forged because I anticipate going larger in the future. I want to build this engine once and not have to worry about it when/if I go rotated. Anyway, stock pistons are at or beyond their limits on a 20g.

Heads are getting new valve seals....

Don't mind MrTris, he needs to eat a Snickers bar, he can get ugly sometimes.

But really, your new here, we have heard this story so many times before. The main truth is these are not your run of the mill SBC or in-line 4.

Read my click here link. I have over 50 miles on my ej257 at 21psi.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have successfully built over a dozen subaru turbo motors. I am not new to Subarus - I am only new HERE.

Tris, you are a condescending, know it all prick. I don't need the help in the manner with which you are offering it. Go hide under the bridge from where you came.

Don't mind MrTris, he needs to eat a Snickers bar, he can get ugly sometimes.

But really, your new here, we have heard this story so many times before. The main truth is these are not your run of the mill SBC or in-line 4.

Read my click here link. I have over 50 miles on my ej257 at 21psi.

I read your build. You are at the upper limits of what I would try on a stock block. Im sure I missed it, but who tuned your car?

I sold my clipped vf23 several years ago and knew I would live to regret it. I ran that turbo at 23psi and liked it wayyyy better than the gt35r I ran at 26psi. It made less power but was so much nicer to drive around. I had a 2.2t block with v7 heads at the time. It was a wicked combination.

I bought a vf48, but Im going to sell it if I can get anything larger between now and when I have the motor ready to go. I would like to go 20g sized. A would love a dom 1.5 or 2.0xtr, but they are super pricey.

If it's a daily. get wosiner or mahle 4032 pistons. they will last longer and are good to around 450whp. Cosworths are proprietary blend and are good to around 550whp.

Unless your north of 600 or its a race car you don't need 2618,

King bearings are the main stay since acl is questionable.

heads i would suggest leaving stock but with iniconel exhaust valves.

The rest is in your skill on building these motors.

My Tuner is Mike Kinsman, www.tunignalliance.com he is that great. I and others here will highly recommend him.

Had a gt35r on the 1.6L Civic for a short while at 12psi then went with a gt3567r at 35psi, not a street car.

My heads have some mild porting, no polish. They were done by my machine shop buddy who knows these engines well. My wagon has a pretty strong midrange pull. I've said a number of times, I don't see why people think they need 350whp in these cars, but mine is a DD.

Good luck with your build, you'll do fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
I have successfully built over a dozen subaru turbo motors. I am not new to Subarus - I am only new HERE.

Tris, you are a condescending, know it all prick. I don't need the help in the manner with which you are offering it. Go hide under the bridge from where you came.

Eh, Tricuit assembled a longblock a while back and likes to think he's the only capable one out there, lol.

Subbed for this build, should be a good one and an OBXT to boot :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

The outback is actually replacing a 95 vette as my daily because my wife and I had a baby 3 months ago.

I raced shifterkarts for 6 years and my wrx was prob around low-mid 400whp. The vette just feels slow (300hp and 330tq at the crank). I bought the Outback so I could build something that had some gettup and would also be comfortable when it needed to be.

While we are at it, I've been searching for a while - will 11-12 wrx/sti exhausts fit if the tips are extended slightly? Wouldn't mind a stock sti exhaust - especially turned down so no one can see it.

• Moderators
OT posts deleted. Back on topic!

Yes, because you have a single-exit, you can better utilize a stock WRX exhaust. Honestly, if you're going to turn it down to hide it, length may not be an issue -

He doesn't have a single exit. OBXTs are dual with turn downs and now cutouts for mufflers.

OP, you can probably utilize another stock exhaust, but you will likely need to move the hangers and cut your bumper a bit at the very least. If you have turn downs welded on you can likely skip the bumper cutting.

Maybe you should delete your own condescending off-topic posts while you're at it.

Burn! :lol:

• I Donated
Oh, and for the record, I completed a partial rebuild, with forged pistons, before you were even a member here. I see nothing wrong with the OP using forged parts. You should know as well as anyone that the large bore on EJ25 pistons means weak ringlands, which means if you plan to put any amount of power through the block, you either need forged pistons, or a large supply of spare HGs and spare cast pistons to replace as you continue to blow ringlands.

• Moderators

Thread cleaned up, carry on and good luck with your build :)

Sorry, but I didn't go through and edit everyone's remaining posts so everything might not make sense since several posts were removed.

BarMan, Ive got a millermatic 210 at home and expected to have to turn down the tips on whatever I got. The market for used exhausts on an OB XT is non-existent. I just don't want to have to build the whole thing and I would prefer to pick up a cheap/used/oem/relatively quiet exhaust. Is there a consensus as to what may or may not fit?

• Moderators
If willing to cut your bumper a bit and utilize extended hangers a lot should fit. Pretty sure an SPT would fit your requirements and bolt right up with turn downs. Would melt the bumper if not turndowns or cutting.

• 2 months later...

So, block is built, heads are on, manifold is on.

I ended up using one size over wiseco pistons with Manley rods, new nitrided crank, stock head gaskets and the race bearings from King. Clearances were all perfect to spec using my dial bore gauge and micrometers.

Stock unmodified heads are on with 8mm phelonic spacers and top feed tgv deletes. I'm using modded stocker injectors from my old wrx with Perrin v2 fuel rails. Im using my purge solinoid valve direct to manifold and without the mess of tubing as per is performance's purge solenoid thread.

I ended up using the stock plastic manifold as I believe it should actually heat soak less than my ported wrx manifold.

I have to finish timing and install my crankcase ventilation system, oil baffle, pickup, pan, and then I'm ready to drop the motor in.

Question..... There are two sets of ccv ports. Two on the block and two on the heads. I used to know this inside and out, but now cannot recall which connects to which. Obviously my Crawford aos will jump onto the larger port by the inspection cover and go to one port on each head . do the other three ports then just connect to one another?

Oh, and I'm going to be using an fp e316g with both internal and external wastegates. My grimmspeed ebcs will control the internal and my mbc will control the external. Instaspool anytime I have over 70% throttle (will be tuned) and perfect boost control during part throttle.

Will also avoid choking the motor/turbo at higher rpms.

• 1 month later...

Archived