LegacyGT.com

zipping,whirrling noise

I know there may be a similar question on here but I would like this answered specifically to mine if possible.

After installing a brand new VF40 on my 05 lgt, i am getting an odd noise when accelerating. Its like a zipping noise. It only happens after the vehicle has been running for a little. There is low boost and the check engine light just came on.

Thanks guys.

The sound sounds almost like a cartoon sound? Might of been the same thing I heard when coming back from NY one night.. it's a hard sound to describe but zipping is a good word for it..

While nothing to laugh at the sound is crazy, and when I did later remove the turbo the shaft broke in half.. My oil was 2 1/2 qts low.

You guys are all talking out of your asses. First thing first......What is the code that the ECU has detected (check engine light)?

I know I'm not.. I wish I had a cabin mic when it happened.. it's not a sound you can really cause on command.. but in the end my turbo died.. out of the two turbo's they all made that zip sound

So, how come no one asked about his code? He stated he has a CEL.

My car has a loud high pitch sound under full boost, turns out I had a leaky exhaust gasket.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Nope, speaking from direct experience. If you'd ever heard it you'd know the sound...it's the death knell of an oil starved turbo dying.

Yep I swear I wish I had something recording.. it went pretty much like you heard the zip sound, then bearing sounds.. then you hear something like the blades hitting the housing and whirrling.

I still got that turbo sitting in the box, I'm curious how the shaft manged to happened.. I know I was almost a good 3 qt's low by oil blowing out of the dipstick but that's another issue lol.

So, how come no one asked about his code? He stated he has a CEL.

My car has a loud high pitch sound under full boost, turns out I had a leaky exhaust gasket.

First reply asked for codes. Then he said it was making a banging sound, you don't need a code for the f*cking compressor blades or impeller blades hitting the housing, your ears (and what's between them) are enough to tell you that the problem is more than a leak at high boost.

Archived