LegacyGT.com

Suspension Chattering - 05 LGT MT

Timmonsbm33

I have 2005 LGT MT with 110K. With in the last two months there has been a "chattering noise" coming from the front passenger side. It is most noticeable when slowing down. I have video i'll upload. I just had the passenger side drive axle replaced as the inner boot was in pieces and it was clicking badly. Please give me any ideas you guys have on the source of this issue. The dealership mechanic played with it for an hour after replacing the axle and has no idea.

All four struts and mounts have been replaced with Monroe OEM struts and Import Equipment mounts. I had an alignment done the day after replacing all of those and had no issues. THanks for your help.

I looked at it today and all of those things are good, relatively. I think it is tied to the drive line, as the car slows the noise slows down and become more noticeable. It sounds like as the wheel turns it is making the noise. Maybe the hub?

--Update

I now think it is a problem with my brakes and drive line. When i apply the brakes at any speed the noise goes away. When i turn or curve to the left the noise increases and decreases when i go to the right.

I have an appointment with National VW & Subaru on wednesday afternoon. Ill let you guys know what happens then.

I had stuttering while slowing down from hwy speed.

Chased it for a long time while avoiding the most obvious. I dunno why but I just felt it'll be something along the calipers...

Turns out it was the most obvious choice, warped rotors on the fronts.

Update--

I just put the car on the lift and took off the front passenger side tire. The the entire brake caliper and mount were loose and knocking. I took off the caliper and found the brake mount was loose. I tried to take it off and both bolts were very tight. The bottom bolt finally loosened, the top refused to. I'm 90% sure the bolts were cross-threaded and installed wrong. i called the dealership and explained the issue to them, scheduled an appointment for next week or sooner to get it fixed.

Archived