LegacyGT.com

Rotella T6 5w-40

5qt bottles are on sale at orly's for $16.99. Right meow. After rebate.

I grabbed three, would have been more but that's all they had.

:cool:

I've only seen it sold in the quart and 4 quart (1 gallon) bottles.

5qt bottles are on sale at orly's for $16.99. Right meow. After rebate.

I grabbed three, would have been more but that's all they had.

:cool:

The ad I saw said "limit 2 rebates per customer". So, you're paying full price for #3?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Rotella-550019921-Synthetic-Diesel-Engine/dp/B005CHT4W6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429197642&sr=8-1&keywords=rotella+t6+5w-40]Amazon.com: Rotella (550019921) T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic, Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil (CJ-4) - 1 Gallon: Automotive[/ame]

19.57, no rebate from Amazon.

The only reason I corrected the OP about the size of the bottle is that I was thinking you might be "filling" up your oil and leaving oil in the gallon jug which would mean you are a quart low.

How does the 5/40 affect the variable valves- my impression was that it is sensitive to oil/ oil pressure ?

This is not really the thread for this question - find of the other dozens of threads already on oil. That being said, T6 is one of the go-to oils for the turbo cars. It's cheap and works great. I run a 5k OCI.

Motul is better. Plus recommended weight is 5w30 for these engines...

While that is true, the owner's manual (for my '07 Legacy) also lists 10W-30 and 10W-40 as suitable grades where temperatures don't drop as low. I don't see why they don't also recommend 5W-40, since at operating temperature, there is little difference between 5W and 10W (as far as I know; I could be wrong).

My apologies for asking a question about 5/40 oil when the title was Rotella 5/40. I have read many oil posts, on many forums, and they usually degenerate into blaming a specific brand for causing a spun bearing. I don`t subscribe to that thinking. Many of the posts started years ago. This thread was current and appeared to have all turbo owners responding. This weekend I am changing the oil in my wife`s 05 XT wagon, have 5/30 Mobil already, but would consider using a different weight if endorsed by others with the same vehicle. Also, through work I have attended variable valve timing trouble shooting courses, and the use the wrong wait oil, or dirty oil, can, throw a code. To me a forum a place to share information, and I enjoy being part of that community, but occasionally someone feels the need to scold, and that I don`t understand. Kelly

Whether they know it or not, some people are asking for scolding. And whether they should or not, some others can't help themselves but oblige. There is still plenty to be learned from a conversation even after it degenerates to bickering.

Regardless, T6 is an excellent bargain and while it may not be as good as some things, it is better than anything at it's price point and many (dare I say most?) things that cost more. Especially if you realize you need to change your oil fu@%!ng yesterday and have a Walmart right down the road as many (dare I say most?) of us do.

Directly addressing your concerns however- I bought this car with a little over 100K on it, and it now has just under 150K. I have used T6 every 3500mi or so and nothing else, and never gotten a code from the viscosity. I did get a code from a clogged sensor due to dirty oil, due to a blown turbo, due to all the oil leaking out of a cracked filter, etc, etc, etc... but that isn't particularly relevant. If your oil stays in long enough to get dirty than an LGT is not the right car for you. Additionally, while I have no experience with Mobile in this car, there are two primary camps on the subject and last time I looked into it they were pretty well split over whether it was horrible for these cars or perfectly fine. I doubt you'll have a problem using it, especially once, but be aware that many claim to have. It was argument enough for me to use what most of the cool kids are using, and that seems to be T6.

Far more important is that you use the correct filter, which is an area where many bargain shoppers go wrong with this car. Just because it looks the same and screws into place doesn't mean the internals are correct, and this is the wrong vehicle to screw around with when it comes to those specifics.

Since new, I changed the oil regularly, after 5000 miles started using synthetic, against the then, ( since revised ) recommendation of both the dealer and Subaru. Was using dealer filters, now use branded Wix PN 57712 , which is specifically for Subaru, and no other brand vehicle. I`m getting worried about the turbo, as that seems to be all I read about, is blown turbos, often taking the engine out. But my wife loves her XT ( 5 sp manual , 73,000 miles) , and does not want to replace it, so I am doing my best to keep it intact. Regarding Mobil 1, not only Subaru, but Honda guys, BMW guys, often blame their engine problems on Mobil 1. I`m inclined t think they pushed the design envelope too far. In the coarse of my day, I can see Mercedes, Porsche, Jaquar, etc., with stickers under the hood advising use of Mobil 1, so it can`t be all that bad. Anyhow, thanks for the advice, I may change my plans, and try the Rotella. Cheers, Kelly

My apologies for asking a question about 5/40 oil when the title was Rotella 5/40. I have read many oil posts, on many forums, and they usually degenerate into blaming a specific brand for causing a spun bearing. I don`t subscribe to that thinking. Many of the posts started years ago. This thread was current and appeared to have all turbo owners responding. This weekend I am changing the oil in my wife`s 05 XT wagon, have 5/30 Mobil already, but would consider using a different weight if endorsed by others with the same vehicle. Also, through work I have attended variable valve timing trouble shooting courses, and the use the wrong wait oil, or dirty oil, can, throw a code. To me a forum a place to share information, and I enjoy being part of that community, but occasionally someone feels the need to scold, and that I don`t understand. Kelly

I wasn't scolding you. What happens in any oil-related thread is the OP states something and then a question is inevitably asked that is unrelated to the thread's intent, resulting in pages of derail. There are already dozens of threads on oil with testing, anecdotal evidence, and various schools of thought.

Any oil you put in these cars that meets the manufacturer spec will be fine. Some have had issues with Mobil 1 being susceptible to blow-by, but the key is to check the oil level frequently and never let it get too low. An appropriate OCI is also important.

The variable valve timing, not like the variable valve timing found on German cars these days, where using the incorrect oil can cause issues. The ej engine only advances the entire intake can shaft via the timing sprocket. Not the individual valves, being controlled by individual oil solenoids.

I would be more concerned about the health of your turbo when choosing the oil, that is why many of us use the T6.

There have been studies by aftermarket turbo manufacturers have indicated that Mobil 1 is an absolute no no. Research it, learn yourself, and avoid the "scolding"… also may wanna get some thicker skin when it comes to forums. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived